Background - I am 7 weeks new to Dewey whom I've learned is 21 years old, not 9 as I first thought. She's had no flight, tail, back or breast feathers most of her life...crest feathers are in negotiations. We are together most of each day, Dewey for an hour or more outside the cage, part of that on my lap. She is eating Harrison's High Potency pellets plus fruits, veggies, bird bread etc. The food that her previous owner (her only other owner) gave me was probably Kaytee. It smelled rancid and was full of some kind of gnats.

The behavioral issue I need help with is that she gets hyper-excited when guests visit. She bobs, raises her crest, flaps her wings, and if I set her down outside the cage she rushes to the person to nuzzle and chew on their shirt. This afternoon I sat down with her and a friend on the couch and Dewey "flew" off my lap, hitting the floor with a thud, something she has never done since her arrival. In the cage, she imitates the conversation, including laughs. She eventually starts screaming and doesn't stop unless you include her in the festivities. Giving her twenty things to eat and shred provides only seconds of relief. There is no option to move her to another room to calm her.

Too much stimulation? Not enough? Jealousy? Thrilled to have a guest for once? Do I need more visitors? Fewer? Therapy?

She will be living with another person soon, though I'll still be involved in her life - my objective was to get her out of a bad situation and into one that is better than I can provide long-term. Her new mom has a husband and friends. How can we help Dewey to feel at ease with strangers?