I'm sure we all have a grasp on the fact that feathers are complex. I stumbled upon this article while researching molting and feather destruction. It goes over a lot of neat things that happen inside the bodies and minds of our feathered friends. Specifically pertaining to feathers, molts, and the "internal clock" so many of our birds demonstrate possessing.

I know a lot of us struggle with birds that pluck, chew and destroy their feathers. It can be a hard habit to break. In order to extinguish this behavior (or at least attempt to make an improvement) I believe understanding the mechanics, biology and anatomy of the birds plays a vital role in our attempts and may improve strategies to detour them from self destructive behaviors.

This is written by Ron Hines DVM PhD and I wanted to share this with anyone who may be interested in some of the more detailed complexities of our birds and what makes them so unique.. their feathers.

http://www.2ndchance.info/molt.htm

If this is in the wrong place I apologize, moderators please feel free make any changes necessary.

-Dani