This past summer when Patricia Sund visited Best Friends, she talked to me about making "chop" for my birds. At the sanctuary we have the luxury of a full-time dietician for the birds. But at home, mine were getting frozen veggies and some greens, and whatever else I could rustle up every evening.

Patricia makes her birds food in huge batches and then freezes it. She convinced me to try it on my guys. The concept is that the veggies are all chopped in the food processor, so it they are tiny bite sized. When they are all mixed together, it's hard for a bird to take a bite of carrot, without getting a bit of broccoli as well.

The first time I made it, it took about a week before anyone would try it. I did it for the third time this afternoon, and the birds were dancing in anticipation before I could dish it up. There is no real recipe...just whatever healthy grains, greens, veggies, beans and pasta you want to include.

I went to the grocery store at 3:00 and spent $50. By 4:30 I had processed enough food to last 6 weeks in individual freezer bags. This time I cooked split peas, corn, rice, wild rice and added it to summer squash, winter squash, all types of peppers, sprouts, carrots, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, peas, green beans, corn, frozen veggies, orzo pasta, wheat berries, and brussel sprouts. Everything was whirled in the food processor and then mixed together in a big tupperware bin.

I love this concept for several reasons: the birds are getting balanced nutrition each and every night. I don't have to hurry home and drag out the chopping board. And 2 hours work will keep the kids fed for weeks. Win for me and huge win for the birds.

Just thought I'd share.