Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 77 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#98590 - 07/19/06 02:00 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
MypoorBaby Offline
Lives Here
MypoorBaby  Offline
Lives Here

Ohio
All the cages I buy are playtops. I love them. Jasmine plays on her playtop alot more than any of her playstands. I know the dome tops look nicer, but I'm sticking with the playtops. Jasmine has never shown me any height aggression.

The next cage I buy is going to be from cages by design. I really like them. Their a bit expensive, but so is everything else. :rolleyes: But, that won't be for a couple years.

~Hope~
#98591 - 07/19/06 03:03 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Lynne, I don't know where to find/buy the "foofie things" but they appear to be woven cotton, with extravagant fringing, not all that hard to make. I can e-mail instructions, if you like.
Is the idea to give her lots of things to "preen" besides her own body?

Jody
#98592 - 07/19/06 04:46 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Actually, Baby has a lot of preening/shredding toys. These floofie things are like "pillows" for her. If you study the set-up in her sleeping box, there is the soft thing that is like a cat bed (which I refer to as her 'sofa'). The two floofie things remind me of big couch pillows, lol.

She actually stands on them to sleep! The arrangement you see in the sleeping cage is how SHE arranges them. They're a very solid ball, and appear to be made of the same material you see boings/bungees made of. You can't find a bare spot in the fluffs.

I'm sure I must have found them in the dog or cat section at a pet store long, long ago. That's the problem though. I bought them long ago thinking they would be great preening toys and they went unused. One day I decided to toss them into her sleeping box and she loves them.

They take a while to dry (even in the dryer) after washing so I would like to have alternate sets so some can be washed/dried while still having another set in her sleeping box. I always like to have alternates for things that are favorites with our birds anyway. By the way, these things are rather large. They're 4 to 5 inches in diameter.

Lynne

*Beware eBay user brainyshop, imagestore, 99store.
All 3 are the same entity and ripped me off! Spread the word!

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#98593 - 07/20/06 09:44 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
Tiasmom Offline
Tiasmom  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Is there a benefit to having a seperate "sleeping cage"?

#98594 - 07/21/06 02:08 AM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Baby sleeps a lot better with a sleeping cage. Toos (generally speaking) seem to sleep light and when there is activity around them at night, find it very difficult to sleep as much as they should. Having a smaller cage in a dark, quiet area (with sound buffers in our home, such as a sound machine) really has helped us not have a screeching Too... especially when there are varied work hours to deal with.

Lynne

#98595 - 07/25/06 08:54 AM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
blanchesmum Offline
blanchesmum  Offline

winnipeg manitoba

#98596 - 07/25/06 06:48 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
GoosesMom Offline
GoosesMom  Offline

Bronx, NY
Thanks paulette. smile What are the dimensions of that cage? It looks pretty similar to what I have now, just a little bigger.

~Tiffany and Goose
#98597 - 07/26/06 07:23 AM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
blanchesmum Offline
blanchesmum  Offline

winnipeg manitoba
Hi Goosesmom the dimentions of the cage are
32 " across front of cage
46 " length
24 " front to back width
and the cage from bottom up to flat part is
4 1/2 feet tall then there is the perch on top with dish holders

#98598 - 07/26/06 04:49 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
GoosesMom Offline
GoosesMom  Offline

Bronx, NY
Ok everyone, I think I've decided on this cage:

http://www.mybirdstore.com/product.cgi?product=227791&group=227746

What do you think? I'd like some opinions before I shell out $600.

Thanks!

~Tiffany and Goose
#98599 - 07/26/06 08:36 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
JoonieBird Offline
JoonieBird  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
I think you are doing the right thing by getting the big cage. You won't regret it down the road, like I am regretting my choice. (Just didn't know how big Joonie was gonna get.)

I tried finding you a better deal on EBay but there are no cages that size listed, the biggest is 40 x 30 x 77 for $400 and free shipping. Those few inches make a big difference in the volume space, and a big difference in the psychological health of the parrot. I think you are making a very wise choice. Is that the color you're choosing? It's really a very nice cage.

Joonie's cage is only 32 x 24 x 46 (interior sizes) and now I just find it woefully too small. And to think I paid $400 for it! Should have done my homework on that purchase. Dumb me.

Joonie says he's jealous. wink

#98600 - 07/26/06 09:51 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
GoosesMom Offline
GoosesMom  Offline

Bronx, NY
I'm getting excited about getting the cage. smile I'm probably going to get it in light gray or charcoal (Goose's cage now is charcoal). I'm a bit worried that she won't like it if it's too different from her current cage. She doesn't like new things.
What do you guys think? Will getting the new cage in the same color as the old one be a better idea or does it really matter. My first choice is the light gray, but I don't mind charcoal.

Thanks Jooniebird, I looked on ebay as well but like you said, there weren't any that big there. I'm sure Joonie will be ok in his current cage until you can upgrade down the road. Poor Goose has been in her little cage since I got her (they told me this cage was fine) and its only 24 x 24 x 36 I believe. She's small for a U2, but I realized when I joined this site that this cage it WAY to small. We're going to keep it as an extra/sleeping cage.

I have to wait a week or two to get the rest of the money together... so keep your opinions coming until then! I want to make sure I'm making the right purchase here.

~Tiffany and Goose
#98601 - 07/28/06 08:33 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
cocosmom Offline
cocosmom  Offline

Milton, Ontario, Canada
Lynne,
I was just at Wal-Mart earlier today, looking at those 'floofie' things for my U2. They were in the doggie toy section. Now, this was Wal-Mart Canada, but if you are in the U.S., they probably carry the same stuff.

#98602 - 07/28/06 10:13 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Thanks! I'll have a look! smile

Lynne

#98603 - 07/28/06 10:57 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
cascade Offline
cascade  Offline

exeter, CA
Dont overlook places like local feed stores. I got a great deal this summer. They were the type that you have to assemble, so they got a deal on load of them. Oh, this store does NOT carry birds, so call around, you could get lucky.

#98604 - 07/29/06 05:33 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
Eefjuh Offline
Eefjuh  Offline

An old picure of kera her cage:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Vogels/PHTO0105.jpg

(walls where yellow! A it's really an old picutre!! laugh )

I like the cage, but I'm going to let someone make me a new one....

One that you can split in 2 cages, or put them togheter to make a big one, like this:

Together:
http://www.home.versatel.nl/eefjuh/fotos/volieresamen.gif

Seperated:
http://www.home.versatel.nl/eefjuh/fotos/voliereappart.gif

These are some "cages" he made:
oudoor:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/thebirdman1/thebirdman1/voliere-frans5.jpg

(i like the green and plan to use that one for my cage instead of all the aluminium)

Indoor cage you can separate:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/thebirdman1/thebirdman1/kamervoliere-tussenschot1.jpg

Maybe this is something to think about. It doesn't take al long time to make one, but you can make it in any way you like! Plus is not that expencive and certainly NOT dangerous (thinking of coating and stuff)

#98605 - 07/29/06 11:16 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
Whiskers Offline
Whiskers  Offline

Sacramento, Ca.
Hi, I just got a new cage for my catalina macaw , great price and free shipping http://hqcages.com/40x32-victorian-scalloped-cage-p-1.html, but they do have a double macaw cage that you can leave the center divider out http://hqcages.com/64x32-double-macaw-cage-p-58.html , good luck finding that perfect cage.
Patty

Everyday treat your avian family and everyone else, as if it were your or their last day on earth.
#98606 - 07/30/06 07:10 PM Re: Cage Photo Request!  
Lola_dup2 Offline
Lola_dup2  Offline

Canada
I was just browsing around the american ebay ( the canadian one doesnt have much of anything for good bird stuff)
and this came up

http://cgi.ebay.com/Enormous-Double-Maca...1QQcmdZViewItem

Take out the middle devider and the perfect cage!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny