Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 35 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#93457 - 08/10/07 03:34 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I agree Kyrie
Quote:
Choose your battles wisely.
wink

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#93458 - 08/15/07 05:46 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Quote:
They are so easy to care for. I can't think of any type of pet that's easier except a maybe a fish. Because of that I don't see a big issue with parakeets being bred.
Well thery are easily replaced and well they are the LEAST type of birds I recommend besides cockatoos to be bred. I fo rone say NO NO HELL NO to breeding birds for the common person, or even for captibvity. I for one have different opinions for releasing into the wild. But then again, its mas fault we have to imprison and force conditions on birds to breed them to repopulate birds, its humans faults we even have to do that sadly. And not only parrots but funches. If only parrot owners new of the intelligence and the smarts of a finch... or a softbill... I understand finches and softbills more as I rehab and release them and have raised them in the past, and if only other birds owners new how they felt... they feel just the same as a cockatoo if treated wrong... they just dont show it as well because in their blood its tells them to hide any trace of stress and anxiety or they are easy prey for their predators.

My Umbies cage is 3ft long 28" wide and 4 and half feet tall. And guess what he is out all day. I (when we moved) finally got him to sleeping in this cage. He is out of it all day. Rarely uses it, either with me, or on the floor with toys or on play stands chewing away, he is mainly with me. I dont cage him.

And if yours never lived a year I see why. They DO NOT happily liv ein small cages NORe do they only live a year to 5 years I know people who have 22 y.o parakeet and someone who has a 25 y.o parakeet and they are as young as ever. And no I am not talking about any other parakeet but an AUSSIE BUDGIES aka American parakeet. My budgies THRIVE in flying and they LOVE attention and no small cgae, and rehoming would do for them.

WHy would yo ubuy from someone who purchased their srtock from, a mill. Thats factory farming for you. Why support the abuse? You know how much casualties their are in these mills? A LOT. A lot of imbred and illnesses. I would not recommened it. I have in the past, but I do not brag about it any longer.. as I know better and I am only 17. I have had birds for 5 years now anmd had bird sin my life for my life and now that I am almost an adult I am proud to say I know things smile (Why I am also Vegan too)

I fo rone think its harder to entertain a bidgies than a cockatoo thats from MY EXPERIENCE. LOL. My Umbie, Bokka, gosh he (ok.. maybe I shouldnt say this) has turned out great from being a rotten no one loves me monster to a perfect lap persian cat. lol. Or.. puppy-cat. My budgies are so hard to please. I see dissapointment in their eyes when they dont get what they want. ESPECIALYL with my house sparrow Sapphire who is 5 and Myko my Starling. I see thier reactions and how they feels more than my umbies. And their opinions seems to be furhter expressed than a parrots. Perhaps thats because I too live with smallers birds FIRST and understand them before the larger birds.

I for one say if you buy anything of animal products either it be eggs, meat, fur, or even pets in pet stores you are supporting Animal Abuse. Anything tested on animals goes for this too.

This is why I buy ALL Organics, and I LOVE the Earth (Tree Hugger) and believe all life should be able to live HAPPILY. Not how wqe feels is happy, but how they feel is happy and how its meant to. That said. just because you people THINK they can live happily in small aquariums or cages doesnt mean its so. These birds fly miles and miles and these fish swim in gallons f GALLONS og water up stream down stream in the ocean deeper deeper, flying high, fritting through trees, and usa people think a few toys and a couple perches and feed will do fo rthem, or a 5 wall glass tank with 1 plant and pebbles is good enough? R-ight... I for one COULD live in a one bedroomo aparttment for life without going outside, I COULD, but I wont because I wont be happy.

my 2 cents;;

*Mercedez
*Bokka

#258400 - 05/07/15 08:19 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
Ike 'n Monica Offline
Ike 'n Monica  Offline

Central California
I can hardly believe it's been about 8 years since I started this thread. When we first took in the little keet and then got him a friend, we were amazed at how they enjoyed being in their cage even though they could get out anytime they wanted. Since then, the original keet died, and with our big hearts we got another friend for his friend. And then the original keet's friend died after living for a week or so after having a stroke, we got another one to keep him company. I know this offends some here but seeing how short their lives can be, we feel it's a non issue compared to cockatoos. We now have a male and female and they act the same in the big cage as the other 2 did. It's their sanctuary, and when we clean the cage, they step out between the bars, and get back in when we are done. They once in a while will make a lap around the living room, but other than that they obviously enjoy their home.

I lost interest in this forum after this thread went the way it did and haven't even been here for many years. FYI, we still have all 5 of our cockatoos, and survived a situation with one about 5 years ago when he decided to remove some skin from his neck, We had to put a custom collar made out of a plastic water bottle and an old sock on him until he healed, and have had to do it a couple more times since then, But it has been over 2 years now since he messed with it so we just cross our fingers.

Being almost 61 and my wife almost 57, we just dread the thought that they might outlive us and it continues to be a stress which has no relief.

After seeing a program on PBS tonight called Parrot Confidential it made me think about this site so I logged in. That is such an excellent program and really shows the emotional attachment many of us have to these complex birds.

#258402 - 05/07/15 01:22 PM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I watched the show last night also. The strongest message that I got from the show was that parrots do not belong in captivity. Visiting the sanctuaries is a heartbreaking experience. It's wonderful to see the birds being so well cared for by those that have dedicated their lives to them. When you walk around and see the hundreds of birds there of all species it makes you realize what we are doing and it's not good. From the small to the large they are turned over, let loose, sold or abandoned by the very people who bought them seeing them as so cute.

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 05/07/15 01:31 PM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258404 - 05/08/15 03:25 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
My wife and I visited a rescue last week with the thought of replacing our Pionus by adopting from this organization. I had the opportunity to meet Fegan the African Grey that was shown in the Parrot Confidential. He is doing pretty well all things considered but still on some meds I believe.

So sad that the people who had him were thinking they were doing the best they could for him but in reality nowhere meeting his needs. Plus the 25 years of heavy smoking he was exposed to.

Not sure if they would adopt him out but he is the only one of the ones we looked at that even acknowledged my presence.

I took Chucki in for her yearly checkup this week and talked to the vet about the birds I had seen at the rescue as she is the rescue's vet and familiar with most of them. She advised he will never be mentally normal.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#258405 - 05/08/15 05:04 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

I know people mean well but purchasing birds from a store or some online place or individual selling a bird just keeps the problem of homeless, brokenhearted birds going. Rescues are overflowing with wonderful birds of all shapes and sizes that dream of a home and someone to love them. You can see it in their little faces, it literally breaks my heart. Mark, Ive seen those birds, they are so broken and have lost hope. Comparing them to human children that are abused and neglected is not acceptable. Both situations are bad and one does not support the other. One of the rescues I went to has alot of budgies and I have a large empty cage and I was thinking of getting them, yes driving 4 hours for budgies because their lives are worth something.

#258407 - 05/08/15 02:02 PM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Mark what was the name of that rescue? I would like to contact them to get information on the collar that they were using with Fegan.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258411 - 05/09/15 03:05 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Nancy

Feathered Friends of Michigan f f o m dot n e t Take out the spaces. I spelled out their website address to avoid the web bots and other intruders. Her name is Marie I saw a similar collar on the shelf at the vets office the other day. Don't know if she gets them from the vet or gets them for the vet. She responds pretty quickly to emails during the week but works weekends so may not answer till early in the week.

Bellsmom

So true. This rescue has a couple budgies. The thought of adopting these actually crossed my mind as they are cheerfull little guys.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#258412 - 05/09/15 03:25 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Thank you Mark I know of a bird that may benefit from that design.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258453 - 05/20/15 12:52 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Nancy, did you ever get a response? I sent her an email with some questions about one of her birds we are considering adopting. I found out today that she doesn't routinely check her email (why have it?) Anyway, I had to take Chucki back to the vet for a recheck and she came in while we were leaving. I have her cell number and she says she does answer text messages.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#258454 - 05/20/15 12:19 PM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Mark I haven't sent her an email. I searched through the site and found out it was made by Protective Parrot Petals by Pam https://www.facebook.com/ProtectiveParrotPetalsByPam

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#258455 - 05/20/15 10:47 PM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Okay, happy you were able to find what you were looking for on her website. I checked out your link and this design seems like this would be much more tolerable than some designs available.

I do have her cell number now and she claims to always answer texts.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#258456 - 05/21/15 01:34 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage [Re: Ike 'n Monica]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Thanks Mark, appreciate your help. This bird and her owner are due to come back to the clinic in a couple of weeks. I'm going to pass the info on to her at that time.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny