Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#93397 - 08/02/07 10:40 PM Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
Ike 'n Monica Offline
Ike 'n Monica  Offline

Central California
About a year ago a little green parakeet flew into our shop and was looking for something to eat around my M2's large cages. I knew he was a escapee and his time was no doubt short in the big world outside, so I caught him and took him home. He wasn't super tame but he would get on our finger. We put him in the real small parakeet cage we have. Eventually, feeling that cage was too small, we hung that cage inside of a large cockatoo cage and it was odd that he stayed in the big cage even though he could fit though the bars.

6 months ago we decided he looked lonely, so while at the pet store we decided to get him a buddy, another male. We now have the happiest little parakeets I have ever seen. They are really good friends, are always hanging out together and constantly chattering.

Now there is a reason I am telling this story. We put both birds in the large cockatoo cage, about 2' x 3'. The funny thing is, when we take them out of the cage, they can't wait to get back in. In fact, if we take them away from the cage, they will fly back right in the open door. If the door has swung shut, they land on the cage and find a spot to squeeze through. The cage is their world and they have no desire whatsoever to leave it. Once in a while they will squeeze out to chew on a twig sticking outside the cage (didn't know parakeets did that), but they don't stay out long.

It's really pleasing to see a couple of birds so content with their situation. If only my cockatoos would be like that.

#93398 - 08/02/07 10:52 PM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

sigh!!!!!!!

Edit to add....

I guess I should be more clear as to why your post made me SIGH.

you are an advanced member, I have seen you/ read posts you were in the middle of regarding breeding, selling parrots etc. While Im very happy the two little keets are happy with there situation Im very sad for the keet that replaced the one you purchased. It makes me very sad that even though you know what everyone here fights for, believes in and stands for...you still bought a bird then posted it here.
I dont mean to sound mean or rude. I was just caught off guard by your post. Rescues have more keets than anything because to some people they are throw away birds, first birds, practice birds then tossed out the window to fend for them selves because someone wanted a bigger bird, a better bird, a more interesting talking bird. I dont think your first keet was an escapee...he was probaley tossed out like yesterdays news.

If I have offended...I appologize.

#93399 - 08/03/07 01:03 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I am sorry but many things posted here concern me.

Quote:
We put both birds in the large cockatoo cage, about 2' x 3'
That is by no means should be considered a large cockatoo cage...My cockatiels each have a cage that size and that just fits them.

Quote:
Once in a while they will squeeze out to chew on a twig sticking outside the cage
If they are squeesing through the bars are too far placed apart and one of them could easily die.You need to put wire up so they can not squeeze through the bars.

Quote:
6 months ago we decided he looked lonely, so while at the pet store we decided to get him a buddy, another male.
That is so very sad...as M2BB said there are so many 'keets in the rescues.

Jan

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#93400 - 08/03/07 02:25 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
Ike 'n Monica Offline
Ike 'n Monica  Offline

Central California
These responses really take me by surprise. I apologize for upsetting anyone.

Living with M2's for 26 years now, and having lived with a parakeet for a year before that before he met a tragic end, and now having them back in my life, I have a hard time understanding why parakeets are in rescues. They are so easy to care for. I can't think of any type of pet that's easier except a maybe a fish. Because of that I don't see a big issue with parakeets being bred. Cockatoos and other larger birds, of course.

I feel like that for the simple reason that my 2 parakeets are so totally content in their little world. They don't need my attention whatsoever other than to feed them. There is no comparison between keeping a parakeet and a cockatoo.

As far as cages go, I have my M2's in 6' x 6' x 7' high cages, but they live at my shop where I have room for that large of a cage. But in a home situation, I consider a 2' x 3' cage a large cage for a cockatoo. How many here have bigger than that?

I posted this because this is primarily a cockatoo board, and I thought that this would be a cute story about the simplicity of parakeets as compared to keeping cockatoos. Guess I was wrong.

Just curious, Why do you think they will die squeezing between the bars? The bars are wide enough for them to do it with ease. This isn't a situation where they can get stuck. I would never allow it if that was the case. In fact, we found out about it by accident. We kept the first bird in his small cage in the large cage locked up at first, but when we were home we opened it up so he could roam the larger cage. He didn't leave the large cage, but when we took him out we discovered he preferred inside the cage and also how easily he could get in and out through the bars.

I am leaving town right now for a day or so, so if anyone responds I may not get back right away.

#93401 - 08/03/07 02:31 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

you honestly dont think you did anything wrong by buying a bird, ANYBIRD from a pet store after the time you have spent here? This is something I just dont understand.

#93402 - 08/03/07 02:56 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie BE2 has a 3 X 3 X 4.5 foot cage. Biddybe parakeet has a 30in X 20in X 3 foot parakeet flight cage.
I'm looking for something larger for Cassie that I can afford.
Biddybe looks so small in this cage I keep going back and forth on getting her a new friend. The cost of vet well bird visit holds me back. Biddy came from the humane society. When I got Cassie unfortunetly the only bird rescues are too far away from me and they require volunteer time first some for six months. They also don't allow you to move out of state and I plan on relocating to Florida. Had I found Mytoos first I would not have bought her. My Vet told me about Mytoos on Cassies first well bird exam. Best thing that I was told about toos. It's been a god send for me. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#93403 - 08/03/07 02:59 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Quote:
I have a hard time understanding why parakeets are in rescues.
Hard to understand or not, they are, by the boat load!!! Not only are they fairly easy to care for, but fairly inexpensive. And for these reasons (among others) people think nothing of disposing of them when the novelty has worn off, or God forbid, they decide to move up to a larger bird.

Quote:
Because of that I don't see a big issue with parakeets being bred.
Read above.

Quote:
But in a home situation, I consider a 2' x 3' cage a large cage for a cockatoo. How many here have bigger than that?
I do. Not one of my 'toos cages (including the G2's) are less than 40w"x36d"x72h".

It's great that these guys are happy with their "home" and don't get out even though they can. But there are times when it may be necessary to confine them (emergencies and such) & for their safety I too would be concerned about one of them getting themselves wedged in - perhaps a wing caught at a bad angle. Why not build (or buy) them a nice flight where they can have the same freedom and appropriate gauge wire. I have my keets in a floor to ceiling flight (4 x 3 x 8 ft high)- they love it.

Quote:
I posted this because this is primarily a cockatoo board, and I thought that this would be a cute story about the simplicity of parakeets as compared to keeping cockatoos. Guess I was wrong.
Yes, this is primarily a cockatoo board, but there are some of us here that are concerned with avian welfare as a whole, and don't condone breeding, selling or buying of any birds. And as you have seen, we will get on our soapbox when the opportunity presents itself. wink

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#93404 - 08/03/07 03:39 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Quote:
But in a home situation, I consider a 2' x 3' cage a large cage for a cockatoo. How many here have bigger than that?
I think you will find a lot of people have larger cages for Cockatoo's. Here is my Goffins cage and as you know, Goffins are very small Cockatoos.

Mimi in her cage

#93405 - 08/03/07 03:56 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mona....I was trying to locate Mimi in that cage and felt like I was playing wheres Waldo!! Thats a GREAT CAGE! I sure wish My Goffin would go on her tree. She just told me she wants a house like Mimi's!!

ike and monica???? Do you mean 2 feet wide????

#93406 - 08/03/07 04:27 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

LOL she's in there, she has lots of room that's for sure!

A 2x3 sized cage is not suitable for a large Cockatoo. They are very active birds and need a lot of room to move around.

As for keeping Budgies in a cage they can squeeze through the bars, you may not believe it but they COULD get into a situation where a wing gets wedged in between the bars.

Why take a chance? Get them a cage suitable for their size, with the spacing between bars no larger than 1/2 inch.

I won't even get into buying birds from pet stores, that's been covered and as you are not a new, uninformed member of this board, you know our stance on this topic and it's not debatable.

#93407 - 08/03/07 03:46 PM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Our sun conure has a 2'x3' cage, and "likes" it, (is territorial about it, and sometimes reluctant to come out) although I'm sure he would easily get just as attached to a 20'x30' one laugh . Thing is, he has the door open most of the daylight hours, and a playtree and toys all over the room. He loves to go outside, but clings to me madly when he does, and keeps one eye on the sky, watching for danger.

I can't imagine a cockatoo staying sane in a cage that small.

Jody
#93408 - 08/03/07 05:30 PM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
GoosesMom Offline
GoosesMom  Offline

Bronx, NY
Goose (U2) has a 4í x 3í x 6í cage and I still feel like itís too small! Her sleep cage is 2í x 2í x 4í, but thatís only because she feels more secure in the smaller cage at night.

As for the parakeets, I had 2 when I was very young and they had a 2í x 2í parakeet cage, until they started breeding (all on their own, and my mom didnít know how to stop them!). As the flock kept growing, so did the cage and we eventually ended up with another flight cage that was basically floor to ceiling with their numerous offspring. At one point we reached 21 parakeets and I named each one and knew their individual personalities. (I was only about 8 at the time, but I convinced my mom that we had to keep them all). I would never buy a parakeet now, knowing there are so many in rescues who could use a home and knowing that mine could have ended up there if I hadnít been so insistent about keeping them. And I would never keep one in a cage it could escape from, knowing all the dangers they could get into without supervision! Those little guys are mischievous!

~Tiffany and Goose

~Tiffany and Goose
#93409 - 08/03/07 10:30 PM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
Ike 'n Monica Offline
Ike 'n Monica  Offline

Central California
FYI, I'm talking about a cage 2' deep x 3' wide x 5' tall. We are careful and have been observing their actions for some time to try to prevent any accidents.

As for the breeding thing, one of the issues I have with breeding cockatoos is that hand fed babies are not able to adjust and end up biting, screaming and pulling out feathers and removing skin. Has anyone ever seen a parakeet do that? I haven't. They may be in rescues but they don't have any of the issues cockatoos have. They adjust and can be kept in small area in total happiness, and even rehoming them is not an issue. And they don't live forever either. Both of my previous ones before this never made a year because they are so fragile. We originally got a M2 because of that fact, we wanted something that wouldn't break our heart in a short time like the last one who learned to speak 50 words and even sentences in his year of life.

And no, I don't honestly think I did anything wrong buying a parakeet. If there was a rescue around here or if I had contact with someone who didn't want their bird anymore, I would gladly have done that. I have enough stress taking care of all my M2's, and paying $12 for a friend for the little keet to make him happy was just a practical thing to do.

IMO, these feelings about breeding need to be put in context. I can't imagine anyone making a living of breeding parakeets, in a parakeet mill, like is done with cockatoos. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me raising keets is more of a hobby and I don't think they are suffering like big birds do in that situation.

Let's take this breeding thing a bit further. We don't have any children by choice. As I look at the population booming and the number of mistreated kids reported in the news, and the children in foster care, not to mention the unwanted kids being born and given up every day. I'm all for getting on the soapbox and stopping humans. I would sooner see that than parakeets.

Just my opinion.

#93410 - 08/03/07 10:53 PM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I guess you think the people running the bird mills that supply all of the petsmart and petco facilities are doing it for the love of birds....or the love of money???

edited cause I give up

#93411 - 08/03/07 11:37 PM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
Ike 'n Monica Offline
Ike 'n Monica  Offline

Central California
Could it maybe be for both reasons? Like Goosesmom's experience, it may just happen and there is a little money to be made with something you enjoy so it goes that way. BTW, that's why I got a male for a buddy.

Please don't give up, I wish you would address my comments about why parakeets may be different than cockatoos. What about fish breeding facilities, or earthworm farms? Are you against that too?

#93412 - 08/04/07 12:06 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

IMO, these feelings about breeding need to be put in context. I can't imagine anyone making a living of breeding parakeets, in a parakeet mill, like is done with cockatoos. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me raising keets is more of a hobby and I don't think they are suffering like big birds do in that situation
-------------------------
My answer...ALL BIRDS ARE SUFFERING.

If the breeding mills were not making money do you seriousley think they would be doing it?? I dont.

I can not give you a difference between a parakeet and a cockatoo because in my eyes I see no difference. They are both birds...being bred into captivity and living in cages when they should be flying free. NO DIFFERENCE.

one thing I have noticed in general most toos get fed better, get housed better and get more attention {FOR A WHILE} than a little boring parakeet because of the cost factor...you certianley wouldnt feed a cockatoo seeds bought in a box with the name HARTZ on the front bought at walmart
----------------------------------------

Let's take this breeding thing a bit further. We don't have any children by choice. As I look at the population booming and the number of mistreated kids reported in the news, and the children in foster care, not to mention the unwanted kids being born and given up every day. I'm all for getting on the soapbox and stopping humans. I would sooner see that than parakeets.

my answer....
This has NOTHING to do with what this discussion is about

------------------------------

What about fish breeding facilities, or earthworm farms? Are you against that too?

my answer

Are you serious???
agian this has NOTHING to do with birds.

Not once have I seen anything concerning the plight of earth worms...the abuse of worms, people throwing rocks at them, locking them in closets and putting cigerettes out on there eyes!!
so no I am not agianst earth worms or fish being bred where ever they are being bred. You are talking in circles going around the fact that you purchased a bird from a petstore knowing full well this board is COMPLETLEY agianst it. You have added to the problem instead of helping stop it.

#93413 - 08/04/07 12:25 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me raising keets is more of a hobby and I don't think they are suffering like big birds do in that situation.
You're WRONG and others have already presented good arguments as to why so I won't repeat them.

Bottom line is that it's against the agenda of this board and so I won't debate the pro's of breeding, you should know that by now.

#93414 - 08/04/07 12:58 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Every year I stir-up trouble by issuing the following disclaimer:

I would like to see all bird breeding stopped. In a perfect world, it would happen. But this isn't a perfect world....

My focus is... and will always be the big cockatoos. No other parrot suffers captivity like the big 'Toos. Many people come here because they want a parrot and are looking for advice. Many of these people cannot handle the big guys for whatever reason. They then ask if there's something more suitable for their situation.

(It's often easy to tell if a person is truly going to get a pet.. no matter what you say, and then there are people who will listen to reason IF you can offer a substitute)

When I see a person who's determined to get a bird, I always steer them towards Budgies and Cockatiels and Quakers. Naturally, I suggest they try a rescue first, but if that's just not possible.. get them where-ever they can. The point is to take the pressure off the "big guys" until we can get a handle on their issues. And as the small guys allow for captivity without destruction in most all cases, I see no alternative for the person who's determined to get one... one way or the other.

Bottom line: Bless the little guys for (hopefully) taking the pressure off the big guys in order to give them a second chance.

#93415 - 08/04/07 01:11 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

nothing like a boomerang right in the middle of things......Im off to save the worms.

#93416 - 08/04/07 01:19 AM Re: Budgies in a cockatoo cage  
gn18 Offline
Lives Here
gn18  Offline
Lives Here

Please see reply

--------------------
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me raising keets is more of a hobby and I don't think they are suffering like big birds do in that situation. --
---------------------

-------------------------
They may be in rescues but they don't have any of the issues cockatoos have. They adjust and can be kept in small area in total happiness, and even rehoming them is not an issue.

-----------------------------

Reply :
There are many people that raise cockatoos as hobby. Just because the person takes it as a hobby, doesn't mean its right or that cockatoos don't suffer.

Another thing, why do you think that the smaller birds do not suffer? They may not pluck as often as cockatoos or the bigger birds but do you think that they like to be 'rehomed/tossed' around from 1 person to the next, fed wrong food, kept in very small cages etc? The fact that there are so many in rescues tell us that many are not enjoying the good life. The fact that so many are in rescues also tell us that rehoming is an issue and not a nonissue like you have mentioned. (if it was a nonissue, there would be hardly any left in rescues as they are snap up when any appear for rehoming)

You mentioned that the parakeets are in rescues, have you ever considered why so many are in rescues and have you considered whether they have a good life in rescues? If human kids are in foster care (as their parents do not want/ can't care for them) and just because they don't mutilate themselves, does that mean its ok and the kids are doing well? I can't imagine anyone saying that would be fine. Just put yourself in the situation of the parakeet and being passed around countless time and possibly fed 'junk/unhealthy food' because you are cheap and it doesn't matter whether you die or not. Do you honestly want to be in that position?

--------------------------
Let's take this breeding thing a bit further. We don't have any children by choice. As I look at the population booming and the number of mistreated kids reported in the news, and the children in foster care, not to mention the unwanted kids being born and given up every day. I'm all for getting on the soapbox and stopping humans. I would sooner see that than parakeets
-------------------------------

Reply:
One thing about humans is that if we as parents don't care for our children, we can go to jail. There's laws protecting the children and punishing the negligent parent. Also, there will be a great uproar by us humans and basically hardly any people will say that its fine if the kid gets rehomed again and again or if we sell our kids to cover the cost of our expenses. Unfortunately when it comes to birds, there are hardly any laws to protect the birds and punish the negligent people. Unfortunately many people also don't feel furious and make an uproar that birds are being rehomed repetitively and people sell their birds to cover the cost of initial purchase. If they would only do so, we would have much lesser birds being rehomed.

------------------------
IMO, these feelings about breeding need to be put in context. I can't imagine anyone making a living of breeding parakeets, in a parakeet mill, like is done with cockatoos.

-----------------------

Reply:
Just because they are cheap doesn't mean breeders and pet shops do not make money out of them. What about all those dollar shops and shops selling things cheaply. They make $. They make $ by being able to sell a lot more because its cheap. For every 1 cockatoo that is sold, how many parakeets do you think they have already sold--certainly more than 1

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny