Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#89347 - 02/21/05 06:38 AM How about those Macaws?  
shellz Offline
shellz  Offline

Illinois
What can you tell me about Macaws? There is a rescue in St. Louis that has 3 - thinking of fostering. We have a G2 and a tiel. How do these parrots behave - same issues as toos? (plucking, aggression, biting, screaming?).
Advice welcome!

#89348 - 02/21/05 06:44 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I think Macaws can have respiratory problems living near 'Toos. Check with your vet.

#89349 - 03/23/05 09:55 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
ncrush Offline
ncrush  Offline

Houston TX
My dad has had macaws since I can remember. My experience has been that they are very loving towards my dad (letting him hold them like a baby LOL) I am not sure what he would do without them. They were always very jealous of me though. I would say that if you had the time to spend with them they would be great members of the family. Also note that his were all hand feed by him so that may make a big difference in the way they react to him. I am thinking about getting a baby Blue and Gold but am not sure how our African grey will react.

Hope that helped a little!

#89350 - 03/23/05 09:58 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
ncrush Offline
ncrush  Offline

Houston TX
Also I forgot to ad that my dad has had c2's with the macaws and there were no problems but I would still check with your vet.
What kind of macaws are they? That may make a difference in behavior. My experience has been that the blue and gold are much calmer and loving.

#89351 - 03/23/05 10:00 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
angie Offline
Lives Here
angie  Offline
Lives Here

grand forks,nd
We recently adopted a Military Macaw and she is so loving!! She is really something else. But beware, a large bird with a beak like that can be intimidating to those around it that are uneasy!!
Angie

#89352 - 03/24/05 02:05 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
mnda Offline
mnda  Offline

home
Hello we adopted a catalina macaw 11 years old about 4 months ago she took to me right away only because i showed no fear when she was testing my arm pinching my trying to trick me like shes going to bite believe me i was freaked out she had a huge over grown beak.my hunband on the other hand got scared and pulled away.so now merlins totally bonded with me merlin always trys to scare off my husband trys biting him then he starts laughing its very funny.shes a joy she talks shes so funny.hardly screams could not have adopted a better bird!good luck

#89353 - 03/24/05 06:52 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Lisab624 Offline
Lisab624  Offline

Michigan
What I have noticed with Macaws "you give an inch they take a mile"

Macaws are extremely intelligent birds as most of you know and also go off your emotions. you cannot let your guard down with anybird no matter how "tame/domesticated" you believe them to be. By laughing when your beloved Macaw bites is showing him attention and he will continue to show this behavior until you "time out" and correct the situation. I have Literally bit my tounge from a macaw bite just to not show a response. Macaw will learn there boundaries of "their bite". My macaw bit me and I still have the scar. I was not angry it was somewhat my fault. the cable guy came in wearing a hat and I had Nikko perched on my arm and the cable guy was bald and it scared him. He squwaked and bit me . Not to be mean but to warn me tht he felt uncomfortable and danger was near.
Dont get me wrong..I have said an ouch or owww and when I was out of the room playing with one of my bird I said "no bite" to Mickey and from the other room my Macaw yelled Ouuuccchhh! ow...
So they understand more then we think wouldnt you say?

Not all birds are the same...
You need to learn their body language, eyepinning etc.,
All birds can be pluckers some more so then others. even chickens can be pluckers..

Older birds can be reshaped to a lovable bird however their memories still exsit and this is what you will have to figure out.
Spend alot of time at the rescue before you decide to get a big bird like a Macaw...
let the bird choose you,You will understand this after handling many birds, some like you and some dont. A macaw is like having a 2 year old child for the rest of your life. But can become the best friend with some time and patience. this decision needs to be thought out and not jumped at. I hope this helps..some. I could rattle on a few more pages but I will save you the eye strain...

Lisa

#89354 - 03/24/05 05:14 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
ncrush Offline
ncrush  Offline

Houston TX
mnda

I made the same mistake your husband did with our CAG. Now he loves my boyfriend and wants to bite me. I have always wanted a Catalina. I think they are beautiful birds.

Natalie

#89355 - 03/25/05 12:07 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
mnda Offline
mnda  Offline

home
thanks (n crush),she is a very pretty girls its hard to believe after 11 years of someone owning her that they would want to give her up the mand who owned her all that time i guess was starting a band and merlin always screamed when the music was playing really stupid reason then a lady adopted her and had her for a year she said she no longer had time for merlin and now we own merlin and she will live her the rest of my life. well im on the subject (lisa624 )that makes alot of sense actually merlin starts to laugh first when he bites my husband and that makes me laugh.i guess i should not do that do you have any suggetions on how he can win back merlin sometimes merlin lets him hold her but only if im not around.if i am and she sees me thats when she trys biting him.should i just stick him back in his cage when hes being naughty like that?this is the first macaw i ever had we have a grey and a amazon recently adopted a cockatoo the macaw by far is my favorite.one more (n crush) my grey trys to bite my husband also from the first day we got her she was only 6 months bonded with me instantly shes one smart cookie unbelievable how they copy everything you say when my other birds are screaming she tells them be quite so funny if only they would listen.anyways i can talk bird talk all day better end this!

#89356 - 03/25/05 04:20 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Lisab624 Offline
Lisab624  Offline

Michigan
when Merlin bites your husband he needs to say "no bite" put him back in the cage for a time out. "2-3 minutes" with no interaction. have the hubby walk out of the room and come come back and see if Merlin will step up and have him talk soothing to Merlin. If Merlin tries to bite him again repeat the time out. This will be done without you around. the bird needs to understand that you two are equals in the flock order. its you AND him. Not just you.
Let hubby spend more time alone with Merlin so Merlin can get used to him and understand his boundaries. Slowly you will be introduced into the picture. some birds pick there parront and thts the way they want it. however I believe what Merlin is showing is "your his" and when he sees you he wants you! Not the hubby. My Macaw Nikko was takin care of by my husband when he was a weeee little one and now I am the primary caretaker. But he still wants my hubby when I am around. Does your husband help feed him and clean his cage? try the more time alone and I think Merlin will be a good buddy to the hubby.
Make sure you and the hubby you the same words and manerisms. If you talk to him in a baby voice then have the hubby talk to him the same. My husband sounds soo silly but he talks to all them in this oochy=coochy baby voice.
It will definately take time for him to gain trust but it the hubby is consistant with Merlin..I think this will work out for all of you.

#89357 - 03/25/05 04:24 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
kimbirdie Offline
kimbirdie  Offline

MI
given the chance/time, I think we could all talk "bird" all day! laugh

#89358 - 03/26/05 12:27 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Marv Offline
Marv  Offline

ohio
my boy Blue is close to 9 yrs now he is a B&G very smart and loves to play games he knows he can bully the dog from the dog bowl and take a bath he will sit on me while i take a nap and not let any one near if thinks im sleeping and when he gets excited and want to play he'll blush yes they can scream -cya Marv

#89359 - 03/26/05 02:15 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
mnda Offline
mnda  Offline

home
Thanks lisa we will definitely try that i think part of the problem is that merlin sees me all day i do not work and my husbands gone all day so i do all ythe bird feedings and cleanings. at least merlin lets him hold her sometimes better then neveri soppose.ya thats what i was thinking to i should noy be in the room when my husband holds merlin or chats with him.hope fully they can come to an agreement.another thing do you think she may be able to bond with a male cockatoo not share a cage or anything just not kill each other when there out of the cage im so afraid to let them out at the same time.im not sure howto go about getting them to maybe be friends we had the cockatoo for 3months now there across the room from each other. sorry one last thing do you think that one i take a bird out to spend time that i should leave the room so the others don't see i don't really think any of them mind but the um too my husband thinks i should leave the room i think that i should not and let them get use to be handling all of them what do you think p.s thanks for all the advice!

#89360 - 03/26/05 05:18 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Lisab624 Offline
Lisab624  Offline

Michigan
another thing do you think she may be able to bond with a male cockatoo not share a cage or anything just not kill each other when there out of the cage im so afraid to let them out at the same time.im not sure howto go about getting them to maybe be friends we had the cockatoo for 3months now there across the room from each other.
Strange you should ask tht ! I am anal about this so my husband will put thme on the same perch (its 14 feet long) and I have to walk away! I have the same fear. my U2 and macaw are learning to tolerate eachother..but they are still young. Today I walked into the kitchen from the sunroom and Nikko flew over to the playstand where Mikado was and I heard Mikado make a few chirp noises no screaming..but more of a sound like "Get Off My Stand!" I ran out there and said Ohhh Nooo..and they both looked at me like, "What? Whad we do?" And I removed Nikko and he wanted to go back. If you let them out and they are across the room from eachother just supervise. They love to be on their cage.

sorry one last thing do you think that one i take a bird out to spend time that i should leave the room so the others don't see i don't really think any of them mind but the um too my husband thinks i should leave the room i think that i should not and let them get use to be handling all of them what do you think p.s thanks for all the advice!

I dont see a problem with tht..if you want special time with tht bird. But I do take mine out in front of eachother and play with them in their room. I will grab a magazine and sit on the floor and of course Mikado always climbs down his cage and comes over to me. Remember they learn from eachother and they watch how each of them interacts with you. I had a viscious little Conure I was trying to turn around and I let him see how the other birds interacted with me to let him see they didnt fear me or bite..I feel/hope this helped him to trust me I was able to handle him after a day or two of him Just watching and him wanting to oin in the fun and games. I will also hold Nikko and stand by Mikados cage and ask Mikado if Nikko is a good boy or vice versa..all the while petting and saying see Nikko? Mikado is a good girl! and Nikko will say Gooo gur well try too! No problem I hope I can help a little bit let me know how it goes. Oh and since the hubby works have him partake in the feedings on the weekend. hehe laugh

#89361 - 03/26/05 07:39 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
ncrush Offline
ncrush  Offline

Houston TX
mnda
We have the opposite problem. I am here all day with Peanut and he works. I spend time with him everyday and he still prefers my bf over me. Weird huh? He is still just fun to be around though!!

#89362 - 03/28/05 03:54 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
mnda Offline
mnda  Offline

home
HI n crush ya thats weird thats a cag for you there cool little birds. quaido was are first starter parrot she cracks me up everyday.how old is yours hows the vocab.

#89363 - 03/28/05 04:07 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
mnda Offline
mnda  Offline

home
hi lisa, the cockatoo tried to bite my grey when put him next to her on the perch.i was just maybe hoping that the 2 big birds would bond casper escaped one day and i came home to find him sitting ontop of merlins cage talk about what could of happened your husbands brave im afraid to put them next to each other.thats one fight i don't want to break up ouch.merlin always want s to regurdate on me everytime i hold her thats all she wants to do weird .it doesn't bother me but i think shes a little obsessed with it! well i'll keep you posted p.s is your cockatoo male or female.

#89364 - 03/28/05 08:50 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Lisab624 Offline
Lisab624  Offline

Michigan
This year is my first year back...to work. After four years of working out of my house.

I am anal about it as well. My grey and amazon get along just fine. It was hard for me to let them "bond" but now they eat out of the same bowl. this took just one week. However my Too and macaw I am afraid..but they seem to want to be near eachother to fight it out.."not relly"
My Too is all bark when it came to him and Nikko being together. On there own like I said in the previous post. But I still wont let them be on the same perch.

#89365 - 03/28/05 04:28 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
ncrush Offline
ncrush  Offline

Houston TX
mnda
He is 7 yrs old. He is excellent at mimicking us and noises around. The people who had him before did not talk to him much so he doesn't know many words but he is starting to learn. When ever he wants on my boyfriends hand, he tells him to come here. It is really cute. I went to this bird store the other day and after looking around for a little while I saw these shelves with baby macaws, on the bottom shelf I came across a full grown yellow nape in a cage about 1ft by 1ft. It broke my heart. His eyes looked swollen. I want to do something about but I am not sure what. Does anyone have suggestions?

#89366 - 03/28/05 11:01 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
mnda Offline
mnda  Offline

home
lisa you sound just like me my yellow nape and grey get along pretty good for the most part.today i let merlin out and casper. merlin likes to walk around on the floor so does casper anyways they made there way next to each other no blood shed casper seemed curious kind of followed behind merlin.when they were standing face toface merlin backed away alittle and kept saying hello merlin.then eventually casper went and climbed back on his cageso it seems like a good start !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny