Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RB2sMom), 78 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#89367 - 03/28/05 11:16 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
mnda Offline
mnda  Offline

home
n crush thats sad about that poor bird im not sure what you can do.im sure theres something though .my macaw says out when he wants out of his cage or he goes come here hurry up there so funny.my grey tells the dogs to lay down get on the porch when ever i oped the slider door or she will go rocky manda get on the porch i don't know why she puts my name in there .she will say stop it no biting.she does the phone of course i fall for her trick and go and answere it and its funny because i never really talked to her either as far as repeating words and teaching her words she just picks them out and starts repeating.my amazon talks a little but she has not picked up no were nere as many words as the grey.

#89368 - 03/29/05 04:50 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Lisab624 Offline
Lisab624  Offline

Michigan
mnda
He is 7 yrs old. He is excellent at mimicking us and noises around. The people who had him before did not talk to him much so he doesn't know many words but he is starting to learn. When ever he wants on my boyfriends hand, he tells him to come here. It is really cute. I went to this bird store the other day and after looking around for a little while I saw these shelves with baby macaws, on the bottom shelf I came across a full grown yellow nape in a cage about 1ft by 1ft. It broke my heart. His eyes looked swollen. I want to do something about but I am not sure what. Does anyone have suggestions?

Report them to your local Humane Society or ASPCA. I would probably talk to the manager myself..I dont bite my tounge on anything especially something like this. But They need to be fined! So get your local Rescue involved too.

MNDA....
I fugured out what was going on..lol My Grey is in love!! Today he was making whimpering noises and pacing back and forth on his perch. My amazon was looking at him like "what's yer problem?" So after the pace and whimper noises he would try to regurgitate he would stick his wings out slightly and flutter them then try to puke..lol he would even follow behind Regal nudging her in her bootie and say in a whisper "come on" At first imma be honest I thought he was having a heart attack but love is in the air..

#89369 - 03/30/05 10:53 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
mnda Offline
mnda  Offline

home
thats funny sounds like what merlin does to me i guess shes in love.but i think i'll stick with feeding myself ha!

#89370 - 04/21/05 05:24 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Lisab624 Offline
Lisab624  Offline

Michigan
Whatever I have posted is only exzperience from my macaw. Not all birds are the same in the macw or cockatoo species.

#89371 - 04/21/05 05:51 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
Actually, when you said,
Quote:
What I have noticed with Macaws "you give an inch they take a mile
I was thinking, wow, that's a pretty good generalization. I think a lot of Macaw owners are good at calling a bluff.

#89372 - 04/21/05 06:35 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Most of the macaws I have dealt with are pretty much trying to see how far they can get with you. While I was volunteering the the local zoo we had 4 breeding pairs. A pair of Blue and Golds, Scarlets (mine is one of their babies) Military, and Hyacinth. They all tried to intimadate you. If you were, you couldn't get in their cages. The male B&G was a retired circus performer and was about 45 y.o. He would be as mean as he could. If you didn't back down he was your buddy. He loves in a private home now and is really sweet. My scarlet will still try to bluff me but that just doesn't happen. I think with all of the large birds you have to be the flock leader.

#89373 - 04/21/05 06:35 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
That's for sure, we have 4 macaws here. Pickles:10 yr old Millie, Kianna, 8yr old B&G, GypsyROse: 6yr old B&G, and Calypso: almost 2 yr old Harley. All are rescues brought her for different reasons. Boy does it make life interesting!!!

Kianna wants no other birds or people other than me. Pickles is the same except she wants hubby. Calypso like pretty much everyone, and GypsyRose only wants me and will bite the other birds to get her way.

They test us all day long, and if they get it away with it once they keep doing whatever it is. They are loud when playing and always in constant motion. They are clowns and they try to out talk eachother all the time.

We also have Toos here in a large room just off our living room. I have to vac and dust twice a day most of the time. We are working on getting bird safe filters or trying to find fans small enough for the windows. The one luxury of NC weather is I can have the windows open from April until around July before the AC comes on. Then starting in September thru about November before heater gets to come back on.

There is a thread about the filters on here stating good/bad ones. If you have both types of birds make sure you constantly keep the dust cleaned up and a vac with a hepa filter is a must.

Like stated depending on which type of macaws and past living conditions will play a big role in the temperment of the foster ones.

#89374 - 05/14/05 11:18 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Lisab624 Offline
Lisab624  Offline

Michigan
shellz???

Hows it going with tht macaw?

#89375 - 05/14/05 08:55 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Rhonda Offline
Rhonda  Offline

Northern California
Just in case you aren't aware... You have to be very very careful when keeping both Too's and Macaws.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Respiratory Disease in Macaws
Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome
by Linda Pesek DVM, Diplomate ABVP (Avian)

Providing a good environment as well as a good diet is essential in keeping your bird healthy. In addition to proper temperature, good ventilation is essential.
Although good ventilation is necessary for any type of bird, it is especially critical for macaws. Blue and Gold macaws, as well as several other species of macaws, seem especially sensitive to airborne irritants. They may develop a progressive respiratory disease known as "pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome" if housed in a poorly ventilated room, especially if kept with birds that produce a great deal of powder - cockatoos, cockatiels and African grey parrots.

This powder is produced by specialized "powder down feathers" and is a white waxy substance composed of keratin. Powder down forms a water proof barrier for contour feathers. It is spread through the feathers when the bird grooms. The down is composed of very fine particulate matter which becomes airborne very easily and spreads via air currents and air ducts throughout the area.

The powder down can also cause irritation to people with respiratory problems and allergies. (People with allergies may be able to tolerate these birds, but they should be aware of this before acquiring one of them).

In the early stages of pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome, the macaw may appear normal, but wheeze with excitement. As the condition progresses, dyspnea (difficulty in breathing), a cough and a bluish tinge to the facial skin (cyanosis) develop. Hypoxia or under oxygenation of tissues occurs, which often leads to an increase in the number of circulating red blodd cells (rbc). Polycythemia (increased rbc numbers) will increase the viscosity of the blood so that it does not flow normally. Clinical symptoms and xrays may support the diagnosis, but a lung biopsy is necessary for confirmation.

In order to prevent this, macaws should be housed in well ventilated rooms - without cockatoos, cockatiels or African greys. An air cleaner with a hepa filter is recommended.

Unfortunately, this pulmonary disease is often advanced when owners first notice a problem.

Affected birds should be moved to an environment with adequate ventilation. Certain drugs may provide temporary relief, but there is no cure for "pulmonary hypersensitiviy syndrome".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Rhonda

#89376 - 05/14/05 09:06 PM Re: How about those Macaws?  
liviray Offline
Lives Here
liviray  Offline
Lives Here

Wi
Rhonda...you and I were posting the same article at the same time Great Minds think alike I guess!~ laugh

#89377 - 05/20/05 06:22 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
Too and Zon Mom Offline
Too and Zon Mom  Offline

texas
Rhonda, thanks for getting back to the subject on housing macaws and 'toos. Also, you posted the topic that I was unsuccessful in finding!

I, personally, see no reason to risk this combination if housed in the same space or even near each other. It would be very difficult to have them interact with the family on separate occasions (not fair, either) due to Too dust. So far, my zons seem unfazed by the dust from our U2 and I've not found anything to say that it's not healthy or rather unhealthy for them...Lots of showers with the U2 will keep dust down.

#89378 - 06/01/05 02:31 AM Re: How about those Macaws?  
DocT Offline
Lives Here
DocT  Offline
Lives Here

I am new to the group so reading the posts a little late. Rhonda I was reading your post about keeping toos and B&G's in the same room with a great deal of interest. I have kept my too and my B&G in the same room now for over 10 yrs and this is the first I have heard of that. I have never seen any problems but then my birds get showers once a week and a misting almost every day so that could have a lot to do with me never having a problem. The room is well ventilated for the birds. I work for a veterinary practice and the avain vet has never mentioned this to me and I am sure he knows my birds are in the same room. Hmmm??? think maybe I will have to ask him a few questions tomorrow.

DocT

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny