Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87820 - 01/09/04 07:59 PM Leaving bird alone when you only have 1 bird  
dicris Offline
dicris  Offline

Highland Park NJ
I have been struggling for sometime now with leaving my CAG (10 months old) by himself while I am not at work. I work a 9 hour day M-F usually gone from 8AM until 6PM or so. I wish he could come with me to work but with that not being possible I make sure that while I am not at work I am with him. I take him everywhere with me and if he is not welcome we just stay home. A friend would like me to come visit out of state next weekend, and I told her I could not. Taking him with me is not an option. (I have not really done much at all since he came home on June 21st) How can I justify leaving him alone all day Friday while I am at work then stoping home for a short while after work to get some things and then go to NY until the following evening. that would be two hole days of solitude for him. I do leave the tv on for him when ever I do go to work, the market, etc. But I feel it would be wrong for no one to say goodnight to him and give him kisses, turn off the tv and put his night light on. Part of me wants to get another bird so he has company when I am gone but I know better becuase I would not want to have to share my attention with another bird in fear he would be jelous. I live alone so there is no one else around when I am gone...I just love him to pieces and want to do whats best for him. Am I normal to feel this way? Has anyone ever left their birds alone for a lenghy amount of time other than a typical 8 hour work day?

#87821 - 01/10/04 01:44 AM Re: Leaving bird alone when you only have 1 bird  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try finding a place that will board the bird for you, or a responsible family member to watch him. If you can't, remember this, that bird is your responsibility. He relies on you and only you. You need to be there if no one who knows what they are doing can watch him.

#87822 - 01/10/04 07:26 PM Re: Leaving bird alone when you only have 1 bird  
Sand Grouper Offline
Sand Grouper  Offline

Alberta, Canada
You certainly should not get another bird if you can't provide for the needs of your current bird.

Try a video on constant replay and a view of the t.v to provide entertainment. There are many videos out there that provide "birdie" entertainment.

A second bird may or may not like the existing bird and you are not there to monitor behaviour and may end up with two problem birds.

Provide loads of toys but don't overcrowd the cage. Provide loads of interesting foods.

Spend lots of quality time with the bird when you are home so that this animal doesn't develop into something that ends up in a rescue/sanctuary.

S.G

#87823 - 01/11/04 08:08 AM Re: Leaving bird alone when you only have 1 bird  
MaryHM Offline
MaryHM  Offline

Southern California
My CAG is 13 months old. There have been a few times when we've had to go out of town for a couple of days and couldn't take her. If it's a trip of less than 48 hours, I just make sure she has lots of food and water and I leave the TV on for her. Once we had to go out of town for a week. I was going to board her, but upon doing a random check of the bird place that was going to keep her I found tons of filthy water dishes. No way was my baby going there! So I found someone to come in every day to feed/water her, rotate her toys, and talk to her. The tv was left on a very low volume the whole time so she'd have something to watch during the day but wouldn't be disturbed by the noise at night. I don't think getting another bird is the answer to this problem. You just have to find out what limits you and your bird are capable of dealing with when it comes to "alone" time. I hate to leave my baby, but leaving your bird occasionally is just a fact of life. Heck, when I'm gone I constantly dream about her I miss her so much! Figuring out what's best for the bird during those times is your responsibility- I'm sure you'll figure it out!

#87824 - 01/11/04 02:54 PM Re: Leaving bird alone when you only have 1 bird  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't leave him alone over a weekend. Especially if you are the only person around and you are the primary caretaker. If you are leaving in the evening, and coming back the following day, then fill the place with wood and toys and make sure he has everything. But it sounds like you are flying out and going for a whole weekend. I wouldn't do that. Look for a place that will board him over the weekend, like April said. I would take him there a day early and visit with him so that he sees you in the environment he is being kept in. Good luck!

#87825 - 01/11/04 05:12 PM Re: Leaving bird alone when you only have 1 bird  
littlecharlietoo Offline
Lives Here
littlecharlietoo  Offline
Lives Here

Huntsville, Alabama
dicris,
You are above normal if you feel this way. Most "normal" people I know think nothing of leaving their bird alone for a long weekend vacation.
Your gut instinct is right... another bird left alone all day (especially a baby) will not do well and what would you do if they didn't get along? Leave that thought there... you sound like you're doing very well with one.
In my opinion... you should NEVER leave your bird alone for over 12-24 hours without a bird sitter or boarding. Birds get into trouble very quickly and can die just as fast. Personally we don't board the possibility of disease is just too much and most places around here that board are absolutely filty or waaaay too expensive. Try FINDING someone to bird sit. Family and friends are normally good options but depending on where you are there are professionals who do it. Remeber that your bird WILL be stressed by your absence... whether or not he can deal with it is anyone's guess.
My personal suggestion is that IF you will be leaving him in the future you should plan a 24 or 48 hour trip as soon as you find a responsible birdsitter to look in on him, sit with him and feed him. It's best to see how they deal with absences early so that if you HAVE to leave (for a funeral or business trip) you know what to expect. We had our first "vacation" when our TAG was 6 months old or so... we spent the night at Danny's brother's house. My parrents birddiesat. She did just fine and now when we have to leave for 24-48 hours (we make it a point never to be gone more than that) my parents take care of them and we don't have to worry so much.

#87826 - 01/11/04 10:31 PM Re: Leaving bird alone when you only have 1 bird  
dicris Offline
dicris  Offline

Highland Park NJ
I just wanted to clear something up, I would not be gone for a whole weekend, (which I already said no so I will not be gone at all) but if I did go I would be gone for a 24 hour period. I had mentioned that I had thought about and then realized why I could not get another bird. Malichi is enough for me and he gets more love and attention than most birds. I take him everywhere with me and this is one situation where I told my friend no. My bird would never end up in a rescue/sanctuary. I am very responsible when It comes to my baby. I dont even so much as go out to dinner after work with coworkers because I feel it is my responisbility to be home with him becuse he expects me home when the sun goes down and I see him no different as a human child. I didnt feel it was right to leave him for 24 hours and sometimes people say to me I am being paroniod and "
he'll be fine." I know he would be fine if left alone for 24 hours but that I mentioned I would go to work, come home, then pack a bag and be gone for a 24 hour period after that.

#87827 - 01/11/04 10:42 PM Re: Leaving bird alone when you only have 1 bird  
dicris Offline
dicris  Offline

Highland Park NJ
I apologize, my computer crashed and my reply was posted before I had finished...but anyway my point was, I know he would be fine if left alone for 24 hours, It just didnt feel right to me so I decided against it. I hope I was not misunderstood, and after reading the replies I feel that I am normal to feel so protective of him and that I am not being paronoid. I dont feel he should ever have to go to sleep without me or wake up without me ever. Thanks for the input, I hope those who misunderstood have a better understanding now. I guess I just wish my friends understood like everyone else on this board, but my friends are not "bird people" and the fact that they dont understand is simply their problem. Best regards
Mali's Mom

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny