Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8168 - 01/15/03 06:38 AM Please help!!!Need help with bare eye  
dekolover Offline
dekolover  Offline

Hi every one this is my first message and i hope that some may help me.My girl friend bought me a bare eye cockatoo(tito) for Christmas which is about 1 year old .Now tito was raised with his brother in the same cage and my girl friend tells me the owner of the bird store had them both spoiled. He didnít want to separate them but she convinced him. Now tito is home with me and I had him for about 17 days. I sit there for hours at a time talking to him and being nice giving him seeds and all he does is turn away and goes to the other side of the cage and this been going on since the day I got him. On the other hand it took my mom about three days and tito is out and on her hand (mind you she is so scared).He talks whistles when my mom is there but when she leaves the room not a peep. I baby talk to him and everything but nothing. One time while my mom had him out I went be her and she put him on my shoulder he went on and like in 10 seconds he bit my ear and I started bleeding . even though he does like me I still try . Now like 2 days ago my mom let tito out of the cage he was walking around she had left the closet door open, there was a big box with cardboard newspaper in it which he went in and loved it, ripped everything in it played there for hours. Now the next day he went in it again playing for hours he was standing on the border of the box and I went by him to give him a seed and he attacked me. He stuck his claw through the sleeve of my sweater hung upside down and started to bite my fingers again making me bleed on several fingers. I tried to shake him off but he wouldnít get off. He finally flew to the floor and then tried to bite my leg but I ran .the next day he attacked my friend the same way while he was by his box. Now I tell my mom not to let him out cause Iím scare he might attack me. We tried to take him back but the owner of the pet store will not take him back . So weíre stuck with him .iím I doing something wrong. Tito just doesnít like anyone but my mother which is not at all what I read about the bare eye. What could be wrong with him is he depressed cause he is some where else other then where he was raised. And one more thing at the pet store my girlfriend told me that he ate carrots fruits but now all he eats is these black seeds look like sunflowers seeds. I try giving him veggies fruits mixed seeds and pellets he throws everthing to the bottom of the cage and just look for his seeds.I know its not good for him but Iím trying my best we canít even but him in a different cage so we can take him to an avian vet. Need help please help or refer me to someone that can

#8169 - 01/15/03 07:28 AM Re: Please help!!!Need help with bare eye  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Hello and welcome to the board. This is not going to be easy. The first thing you need to do is read all the posts in our QUESTIONS and ANSWERS section, WHY DOES MY COCKATOO BITE ME, many of your questions may be answered there.
Just click on this link

Questions

Its the second section of questions.

Educating yourself about these birds is sooo important and it may take months before he comes around and accepts you. He may be missing his cage mate, your mom may remind him of the person that was his primary caregiver before you, there are so many reasons why he may be reacting to you in this way.
Read thru all the posts in that section above and
then come back and I'm sure other too owners will be able to answer any questions you may still have, but sadly there isnt always a way to "fix" this problem and if you are already trying to take this bird back after 17 days, I have a feeling you are not going to be happy with the answers, because most of all, it takes PATIENCE and time, and this bird has not had enough time to adjust to his new home in my opinion. I hope you find the answers you need or a new home for the bird quickly because he needs stability in his life and moving him from home to home is only going to make the situation worse :-(
Good luck and make sure you go to the mytoos.com website and read everything there also!
P.S. Keep offering him veggies and other types of food, he should NOT be eating "black" seeds only..thats a horrible diet and makes me wonder about where this bird came from??..you need to know more about his history, not your fault, but PLEASE try to get him to eat something besides those seeds.

#8170 - 01/15/03 07:54 AM Re: Please help!!!Need help with bare eye  
dekolover Offline
dekolover  Offline

mona thanks for your help i will go to the link you gave and i have been doing alot of reading and its not that i'm giving up so easy is that i'm afraid for the birds health and well being if time is what he needs i shall give it to him and hope for the best. and i plan to go with my girl friend to the pet store to find out about the tito's history.And when tito give's me a chance he will not regret it .

#8171 - 01/15/03 03:01 PM Re: Please help!!!Need help with bare eye  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Dekolover, it's always sad to hear of these situations. Just one more reason why birds should never be given as gifts.

Just as Mona said, it takes so much time and patience. Unfortuntately it certainly doesn't mean that your bird will bond with you. Birds pick who THEY want to be with. It just may be that this guy only likes women. I don't want to sound completely negative here but I do hope that you understand that he may never be YOUR bird. If you read on through many of the posts in this board, you will come across many situations in which people write that the family bird attacks the husband or the wife and only likes a certain family member etc.

Any decision you do make, working with him or finding him a good home, please put the bird's welfare first. Remember that these guys live a very long time and having one is like having a child in the house.

Good luck and keep us updated!

#8172 - 01/15/03 04:50 PM Re: Please help!!!Need help with bare eye  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
Hi Dekolover,
I must agree w/ the above great posts. Also w/ the statement of NEVER give a pet as a gift ESPECIALLY parrots. One of the 1st things we always suggest when someone is looking for a parrot is to let the parrot ALSO pick you and by being given as a gift both of you don't get the chance to see if the inital bond is there, so please if you ever have family/friends that are thinking of doing this please advise AGAINST this and explain why.

You should also NEVER let a bird on your shoulder that you KNOW let alone one you do not know and I think Tito made it rather clear as to why. Are you making sure that all his perches keep him BELOW your eye level when you are sitting next to his cage? You should also keep him off the floor too many dangers; everything from your toes to electrical wires.

As already stated IT WILL take alot of time and effort. Try making the pleasurable things coming out, snacks, etc. your good alone. Leave the less pleasant things for someone he doesn't seem to have a beef w/, putting him back in the cage, etc. If you are afraid to use your hand at first use a perch to remove him.After you are comfortable w/ that wrap your arm in a hand towel and put on a long sleeve shirt to cover the towel (so he can't see your protection)make your fist into a ball so your fingers aren't targets and make him step onto your arm. If he clamps on the towel you are protected and he will think he can't hurt you.Don't respond w/ anything other than a stern look and "NO BITING".

As for the black seeds (they are probably black oil sunflower); if you are POSITIVE he was eating other things at the store just don't put them in the bowl.After a few times of him raking everything else out he'll figure out they aren't in there.Use the seeds to bond w/; if he's only getting them as a treat he'll have that to look forward to YOU feeding him.

Well, good luck and keep us posted w/ how things are going.

#8173 - 01/16/03 12:08 AM Re: Please help!!!Need help with bare eye  
Colin Hatcher Offline
Colin Hatcher  Offline

Bay Area, CA
Well it has already been said. By receiving a bird as a present, you were not able to meet it and find out if it liked you. Now you have to earn its trust and affection, and that may take many months, or may never happen. Your girlfriend obviously meant well, but she made a mistake in thinking that these cockatoos will just get on with anyone. They are highly complex and emotional birds, and are very careful about their choices.

You also took him from his best friend. Personally I only ever take Toos with their best friends/mates, because they need another bird around!! How would you feel if your girlfriend was taken away from you? Wouldn't you throw your food around and bite too? wink

So now you need the patience to earn the bird's affection and trust. Try to avoid "taking" it out of the cage. Open the door and let him come out as he wishes, or not. Sit nearby and chat. Sing to him, talk to him. Apologize for not giving him the chance to choose you and approve you.

Food throwing can be caused by

1) Your bird wants to let you know he is annoyed with you;
2) Your food bowl is too small for him to search in;
3) He doesn't like the food you are giving;
4) His cage is too small;
5) You took him from his best friend.
etc etc etc

Think of him as a 2 year old HUMAN. Work out how to handle the food problem as if it were your little son. Give variety, and try to find out what he likes that is healthy too. Try cooked food served warm - in my experience even the toughest cockatoo starts baby whimpering with pleasure when tasting warm food.

I am feeding my new rescues a cooked mash served warm, of a mixture of cooked grains, seeds, beans, squash and other veggies. Warm food can help the bonding process.

Try to avoid an argument with your girlfriend over this - she made a mistake but meant well. Just make sure she realizes that now you have adopted a CHILD, you will need to devote a lot of time and energy to him!!!!!!!

Oh yes - no shoulder rides!!!! Toos who spend their time higher than your eye level usually assume that they are the alpha males or females, and tend to order YOU about!! The biting is all about showing you who is boss. smile

OK so now realize you've not only adopted a CHILD, but a child with emotional PROBLEMS!!!! If you can now win his trust and love, it will be very rewarding. smile

regards
Colin

#8174 - 01/16/03 01:49 AM Re: Please help!!!Need help with bare eye  
dekolover Offline
dekolover  Offline

thanks everyone for your input i'm trying very hard but i'm so afraid after that last attact.

#8175 - 01/16/03 02:57 AM Re: Please help!!!Need help with bare eye  
Kibbe. Offline
Kibbe.  Offline

Belding, MI
There is a way to give someone a bird. Few would want to take the effert to do so though. Too often someone buys the bird and hands it to the recepient, and goes here, hapy birthday. But, there is a right way to give a large bird as a gift to someone, and it takes time, and effert from both partys.

Kibbe.

#8176 - 01/16/03 04:26 AM Re: Please help!!!Need help with bare eye  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
Dekolover,

I say this w/ no malice.IMHO you may seriously want to consider placing your 'Too elsewhere, if you can not over come your fear. The bird is going to pick up on it and be very hard to handle. My M2 will purposely torment anyone she detects fear from... We have all been bit and know it hurts; but what are you going to due during hormonal stages in the birds life? The chance of being bit unexpectedly are always there.

I am NOT one for advocating giving up a bird BUT you do not want to put the bird or yourself in emotional turmoil by trying for 6 months and than deciding it isn't going to work. In that amount of time the bird could develope problems; screaming, plucking, etc.. I'm sure you don't want that for either of you. You said you were "stuck" w/ him; you may not have meant it that way but that doesn't sound like you had much hope of a relationship w/ him.

You were not prepared for a bird and that is understandable, many people who THINK they are ready for a bird often find out down the road that they weren't...and these are the birds you find in rescues for they held onto the bird until it developed behaviour problems that nobody wanted to deal w/. IMO; you MUST over come your fear(and acknowledge you may be bit again) or try to find the bird another home before issues develope. Don't let your bird be another statistic in a rescue, please.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny