Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#81622 - 07/03/06 05:45 AM ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
Baby'sLori Offline
Baby'sLori  Offline

Georgia
Many of you read and replied to the little girl "GalahGirl" who posted her query in her search for information on this site. I'm sorry but I was under the impression that we were all here to share information, educate, etc. so that people (especially children, young adults or first time owners) would be educated and informed in the way to make proper decisions as to avian ownership.
I have to give ALL KUDOS to Alaska_toos, Janny, Wishfull, BirdieDi and Bettyand Rita'sMom for sensible advice and attempts to redirect this young lady to a "smaller" bird who would not be "pet store" bought and would be an "easier" avian friend for her as her life progressed. She was an obviously intelligent girl but was getting in over her head as was apparent....
Janny was a little "iffy" in remarks/comments.
But, worst of all was Lola, Charlie and, especially - for goodness sakes - Jerry. Jerry, where do you even think you can come from making a comment like "spoiled as many American children are...." ??? BAD on you!!! The comments were not only insulting to all of us Americans, but also to the children and parents and sexist as to the females.
I truly apologize if you are offended BUT YOU offended ME!!!! I am American, female, mature and could possibly have contributed to the excellent advice that the aforementioned members of the board tried to offer in education and training for this girl. Instead, in some of your biased, too strongly worded and prejudiced opinions, you probably drove her straight to the pet store!!! Who do you think you are making comments like that? Again, isn't the purpose of the forum to educate and enlighten? Especially a young, intelligent, educated (and hopefully enlightened) young person??? Isn't training and education your goal and purpose?
You made me mad, sad and ended the forum at your last "strongly worded" SLAM on her so that, instead of continuing to visit, talk, discuss and listen...she will do just the opposite of what the forum should be intended for... If anyone else out there did not see the posts and the final replies, please go to topic "tweeters" and look for GalahGirl's post and the wonderful responses and then the slams. I'm hoping that everyone aforementioned will recognize that you were attempting to train and redirect this young person before she got SLAMMED and will probably never visit this site again and will most likely go out and buy the poor bird because of that fact.
Sorry, am angry and if you feel the need to cut me off or blast me, feel free. I'm older, have been around and can certainly take it better than a young AMERICAN girl (of whom you seem to hold in such disregard as we are all spoiled and selfish!!!!!) angry

#81623 - 07/03/06 07:26 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
I'm also American and female. And I am spoiled, and well aware of it.
I have never lived for longer than a few days without access to electricity, a hot shower, running water, and a flush toilet. I was fed, clothed, and educated for 17 years at my parents' expense. I have never been farther than a few hours' drive from a hospital. I have enough clothes that I can change every day, and do laundry only every week or 2 if I want. That's spoiled.
Jerry just spent a "vacation" where a lot of things Americans take for granted are only for the very rich and privileged. Where any teenager who wants to have even a chance to attend more school must really WORK for it, and those who don't have very little chance of having those PRIVELEGES I just mentioned.

No doubt the girl is very bright, but she really doesn't listen very well, and I was glad Jerry closed the topic before I replied. . .in what might have been a harsher tone than he used!

I also scored really well on tests (college level in every subject at age 11), and I wouldn't have been a good caretaker for a cockatoo at 13. I was a pretty good caretaker for a dog, and my parents were extremely strict with how we carried out our responsibilities, but I couldn't have coped with a too! (didn't know that then, but now, 45 years later. . .)
The idea that parents ought to "reward" with birthday gifts whose cost would feed a family for months in most parts of the world. . . sure sounds like "spoiling" to me

I was kept fully conscious that even though some folks thought we weren't very well off, we had far more than 90% of the world's population. The word "spoiled" needs to be used! IMHO

Jody
#81624 - 07/03/06 12:36 PM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
citrinocristata Offline
citrinocristata  Offline

Netherlands
I have the utmost respect for Jerry, and all the others. I wish i will ever get the guts to be this straight forward to people. I am so happy to finally found people that are telling the TRUTH.

A 13-year old and a cockatoo eek What's there to discuss confused

Ellen

#81625 - 07/03/06 01:06 PM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
Stormy Offline
Stormy  Offline

PA
Baby'lori, I have to agree with Jerry and Charlie also. Everyone is trying to lead her to the right direction and she has a comeback answer for every question. She is only 13 with 3 younger siblings and has an allowence of only $20 a month. I just took my goffin to the vet last month and his bill was $400. Can she afford that? I don't think so. Just 3 months ago I had to take my u2 to the vet, a bill of $250. So that is part of the problem! The money issue!! But more important is that she is so young, her life will be changing in so many ways, school, afterschool activities and so on. If she got that too it would only be a matter of time before it will be left in its cage longer and longer periods of time until either it becomes self destructive or rehomed. I mean if you think about it, how many adults rehome their toos because they are so needy, so noisy, too much work and etc.... So for the life of me I can't figure out or imagine a 13 year old taking care of a too. Maybe some posters were harsh but if you noticed, the harshness came after many were trying to let her know what the real facts are about toos and she is totally ignoring those facts. So I guess it was time for the big guns to come out and try to drive the point home. I have never been harsh with anyone in my posts but to be honest, she was pushing my buttons. The bottom line was and is always for the birds because I am getting so tired and discouraged to see all these poor toos, being homeless and abused and if only these people were educated first maybe, just maybe life will be better for the toos.

Owned by birds and loving it!!
Terri
#81626 - 07/03/06 01:57 PM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
cascade Offline
cascade  Offline

exeter, CA
I tried to post, and it was closed, I was distraught until I read Jerry's post. KUDOS to him for saying it. He pretty much covered everything I had written, and I praise him for it. American children ARE spoiled, as are the grown-ups. I am an American and we need to get back to basics, when I was Galahgirls age I was saving lunch money for a parakeet. She states that MOMMY will buy the high priced bird, and she has plenty of time to devote to it because DADDY cut off the cable because it cost too much???? Get real!!!!

#81627 - 07/03/06 04:16 PM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
GoosesMom Offline
GoosesMom  Offline

Bronx, NY
I also did not get a chance to respond to that post, but I'm glad because it was making me angry. I agree with Jerry, Charlie and Lola as well, and probably would have responded just as harshly. I am 23 and I bought my U2 when I was 20. As much as I love her it was probably one of the stupidest things I ever did. Everything was great at first, she didn't even need that much attention... but as she got older it's been harder and harder. Don't get me wrong, as compared to a lot of U2s she's an angel. She's never drawn blood and if she bites its usually only a warning that she doesn't like something your doing and she'll use just enough pressure to control you not hurt you. But she also costs a lot of money (vets, toys, food, a new cage soon), she just started chewing on her pin feathers and making them bleed, and she screams for attention. I can't go on vacation, or even stay out too late at night because she needs me.
I also scored college level on test at age 10, but even at age 23 I am not ready for a cockatoo. But I made a commitment and I will love her and care for her until the day I die, and I can't imagine my life without her (although sometimes it would be nice).

Oh, and by the way, I am an american female as well and I agree with Jerry, we are quite spoiled and we take a lot of things for granted. I personally try not too, but like someone above me said, I've never had to go more than a day without electricity and running water, I throw away food just because I'm not in the mood for it. So would I consider myself spoiled? You bet!

~Tiffany and Goose
#81628 - 07/03/06 05:05 PM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
Lola_dup2 Offline
Lola_dup2  Offline

Canada
i Ended up talking to Galahgirl on messenger and she did seem to think she could get by on that 20$ a month. She had to ask me what a budgie was and a cockatiel. And that her little brother was mean to pets. and she has Asthma and her sister has allergies. SHe really did seem to think there was 100% nothing wrong with her parents gifting the bird to her. If you cant pay for the bird yourself? how do you expect to afford its living expences? What about if the bird bites sombody elses fingers off? I really do hope i got her down to the idea of adopting a nice conure instead of a Too but when she asked if they came in pink aswell and have those movey uppy down things on their head aswell confused I think Everyone here needs to further discuss this with her. she was extremely upset with that Spoilt comment from jerry and stated " he shouldnt be allowed to do that " spoilt? Yeah i think sombodys spoilt if their parent is willing to go to a pet store and spend 2,500$ on a bird. I earned the privlage of having my animals here, i earn the money to care for them. i put away money for vet bills. shes 13, in todays society ( well here atleast) Companys dont like to hire anyone under 16. How does she expect to get by with that? If anything he parents will be upping her allowance so she gets enough to pay for the birds, so anywayse her parents are paying for EVERYTHING! thats spoilt!

#81629 - 07/03/06 05:44 PM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I didn't comment on that thread because (a) by the time I noticed it, Charlie and others seemed to have handled the situation quite well, (b) whoever initiated that thread was NOT listening and taking the important advice much too lightly, and (c) it occured to me that perhaps that person isn't a 13yo, but a troll.

Long time MyToos members have been through "discussions" with people like that time and time again and we begin to recognize patterns. Sometimes people do not actually come for advice (as they say they do) but more for a pat on the back or something. They want to hear what THEY want to hear and will not accept anything else - including REALITY. Clearly, that was the case with this (supposed) child.

The fact that this supposed 13yo is online unchecked is reckless on the part of the supposed parents. The fact that the parents may purchase this big-ticket "item" for their "13 year old" based on HER promise to care for it is reckless. It really isn't far-fetched to say that this "child" is spoiled. The parents should be online actively pursuing information about such an expensive exotic "pet". Furthermore, it's highly reckless of these parents to put their children - and this bird - in the position they may be putting them into. Birds bite and can maim small children parts. And that's that.

Rarely do I see Charlie be so direct as he was with his post to her... and I agree wholeheartedly with what he wrote. While Jerry has his own personal way of putting things, HE is the owner of this board and entitled to his opinions. In this case, I can see his point. Americans are spoiled in comparison to many other people in the world. And, if that was a real child who started the thread about obtaining a Galah, I also agree that she is spoiled and has a LOT to learn about life in the real world!

Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#81630 - 07/03/06 05:46 PM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Hey Baby'sLori,

I think where things ended up going here was.....EVERYONE tried being nice as can be for a no "frills group".That did not work at all.This girl was convinced to get this Galah after group members who are well experienced with this advised her no and stated the reasons why.Offered many other options and the pro's of this instead.Nobody purposefully went out to be a avasive or anything.I have learned that with teens if they get thier mind on something they are not going to listen to reason at all,very few will anyway.I think Jerry and Charlie were right on the money in the way it was handled.In fact I had to hold back when replying to her nonsense.Teens like her love to argue and we all bought into that like it was gold.I had another reply before Charlie and it wasn't pretty....I am actually glad now that the subject was closed.I think Jerry and Charlie as well as all the moderaters have great insight and show good judgement when it comes to this message board and keep everything on track.

Jan

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#81631 - 07/03/06 07:30 PM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
alaska_toos  Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Alaska
I think it is very sad that some members of this board would question Jerry on his closure of that thread. Iím sure Jerry sat back and read the replies that was being made to this girl. It was very obvious that she wasnít going to listen to anything that was being said to her, she was continually turning things around to fit her particular needs or desires. There was no reasoning with this child.

I try to be a very tactful person (the military did teach me something laugh ) when replying to children, as it has only been a few years since my children thought they knew everything about anything, and I have to admit that I was at my ropes end with this person! I told my son about the thread and the 12 yo that wanted a RB2 and he thought she was out of her mind! He has had a cockatiel since he was 14 yrs old. There are some things that children have no business trying to deal with, and owning a cockatoo is one of them, no holds barred.

I can say that after traveling to other countries (I was in the U.S. Army) that Americanís are very spoiled! We take so many things for granted here that others can only hope to have someday! I know this on a personal level and so do my children as they traveled with me.

I have had the opportunity to travel to other countries and see how they live and just exactly what their living standards are. I have had the pleasure of living in tents without having a hot shower for 2 weeks at a time (thank God for baby wipes), I have eaten the same M.R.E. (Meals Ready to Eat) for 5 meals in a row, but at least I can say that I had the opportunity to eat. For all of this I can say that I am truly a spoiled American woman and I am very proud of it.

Sometimes it is wiser to listen than speak without fully understanding what is being said. Galahgirl was not listening to what was being spoken, but she was speaking of things that she did not truly know of.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke
#81632 - 07/04/06 12:08 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
LoriL Offline
LoriL  Offline

Powder Springs, GA
Alaska_toos - is it Anne? I completely agree with all messages placed on this forum!!! I only wish that we, as a whole, could have redirected her obvious intelligence, research, etc. to a more productive avenue of pet/avian ownership through educating her as her parents have obviously NOT done (being ignorant as to avians - especially large avians as she seems to want to "jump into the deep end with") I feel sorry for her, ESPECIALLY FOR THE POOR BIRD, and for her ignorant parents/advice. They clearly do NOT know what they are talking about and getting into.
If you don't mind reading and listening to an unhappy story that we ran into a year ago, the facts are similar.....There was an advertisement in the paper for a Cockatoo for sale...$750.00 complete with bird and cage. The man who was trying to sell the poor bird was at wits end because it was his daughter's bird. Unfortunately, the girl grew up, went to college and left the poor thing home with her parents to deal with. Well, they put it in it's cage, put it in their basement and then wanted to get rid of if because it screamed 24 hours a day (Gee...I wonder why...)???? I wanted to go buy the bird simply to alleviate its misery!!! To this day, I still wonder what happened to the poor thing and can only correlate that story with the one told by GalahGirl (whom I personally think is so headstrong that she will go out and "buy" this poor bird anyway)... frown
Sorry, but that is my take and feedback on what she was attempting to do and we can only pray that saner heads will rule/reason and she will redirect her attention to some other "pet" and not an instant "know it all" when she thinks reading, researching and intelligence is all it takes.
I totally agree with Alaska_toos....think about the life you have yet to lead....where you are and will be going in future. And, mostly, mostly, mostly----care about the bird and BE PREPARED to put its needs first!!!
Again, sorry, but that is my own humble opinion and this girl should NOT (spoiled or not) be in the position of caregiver of such a lovely and demanding avian.
Lori, Baby and family.

#81633 - 07/04/06 12:54 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I moved this to an appropriate forum, from Cockatiels. Also, be aware that member Lori's Baby and LoriL are one and the same.

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=002518

#81634 - 07/04/06 01:53 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
Lola_dup2 Offline
Lola_dup2  Offline

Canada
Did i do wrong by trying to convince her off getting a Too through messenger? I told her everything i knew and what life would be like going through school with a too and how she should be earning every penny and such. I tried to see if she would concider a nice medium sized dog but i think i ended up getting her interested in conures, and the questions she asked honestly scared me. Did i go wrong?

Quote:
Also, be aware that member Lori's Baby and LoriL are one and the same.
How does that happen confused

#81635 - 07/04/06 01:54 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here
Belongs2Sammy  Offline
Lives Here

Lori,

With all due respect, I understand how the responses to GalahGirl might have seemed harsh. But you have only had Baby for a short time. You really have no idea of the trials and tribulations one faces living with these creatures. Many of us here do, so when a 13 year old girl who we KNOW is not capable of caring for a 'Too asks advice about them, we get very frightened, and we do everything in our power to CHANGE HER MIND .

Someday, you might find yourself wishing that someone had changed your mind too. At that point, you will be coming from the very same frame of reference that Charlie, Janny, et. al. are looking at this from.

#81636 - 07/04/06 02:32 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
LoriL Offline
LoriL  Offline

Powder Springs, GA
Lola - absolutely not wrong. Personally, she needed to be guided to a small, medium sized dog....small bird....fish (whatever.... smile something that would not require the absolute devotion our large avians do. I did read her bio and she had NEVER even owned a bird in her life (much like other pets). She really needed to be redirected and everyone was trying to do so. Unfortunately, she was just headstrong enough that she had her mind set and no advice or convincing was going to help..... sad, sad, sad.
Belongs2Sammy - I can only totally agree. We've had this particular sweetheart for only 1 year which is why I count on you guys for advice and support. We have 30+ years experience with parrots, tiels, keets, etc. but this is our first adopted sweetheart of a U2.
Frankly, the initiation of the topic from a child wanting her first bird to be "out of her league" just frightened me (as a LONG time bird lover/caretaker) and I simply wanted to make sure that we did not cut her off too quickly and drive her straight to the pet store as she - in her obvious immaturity and headstrong opinion - seemed so inclined to do.
Jana - don't worry - I don't think that anything said or any sound advice, etc. would have dissuaded this poor disallusioned child. (Bad on her parents for letting her do this on her own and not researching it themselves and not listenening to sound advice!!!)
GOOD for everyone who tried to discourage this obvious mistake and we can only sit back and pray for the bird......
Thank you guys so much....Hey, everyone tried, right? That's all we can do....
Lori, Baby and family....

#81637 - 07/04/06 02:33 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
danad Offline
danad  Offline

KY
I do think that she was given very good advice on not obtaining a larger bird. However I have lost some respect for you Jerry on the last comment you made. I think it would have been more appropriate for everyone to not argue with a child and the topic should have been closed sooner. It is very apparent that she was going to do what she wanted, so why argue, sometimes silence with a child works better. she was given plenty of advice which she was choosing to ignore and I am sure that it was making alot of members angry enough to make a comment like you did Jerry. Since it is clear that you are fighting a good cause. I would just caution on the comments and how they are presented. it is unfair to say that all american children are spoiled, I know plenty of american children that are homeless, with out food, shelter etc.. that are leading a much more horrible existance. So to sum it up, I am proud that you are defending the cockatoos and other large birds but the last comment was unfair, offending, and prejudiced twords Americans, old and young. You lost your cool! When dealing with children it is always better to take a deep breath and count to 10. I have 4 of them and 3 are teens.

#81638 - 07/04/06 02:42 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Quote:
When dealing with children it is always better to take a deep breath and count to 10.
This is a very serious cockatoo board, not Nickelodeon.

#81639 - 07/04/06 02:42 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
LoriL Offline
LoriL  Offline

Powder Springs, GA
OOOOps guys....the only reason my "user name" changed is because my little "sweetheart" decided to become a computer guru....ate my lapton and I had to go back and recreate everything (including user names/passwords, etc.) And you thought you had problems???? LOL All I can do is laugh, learn a lesson and go from there....not her fault....mine....I left the darn thing within reach when I took 2 seconds to go to the restroom....(she's FAST).... smile But, hey, what can I say...lesson learned...bad on me (won't happen again) and I went out today and bought her lots and lots and lots of toys to keep her busy smile
If you want to just get in on some fun...see my post re: funny stories and "I bet I can top you on cost of owning a too....." We should offer a prize to the winner as I bet on the post, me and Baby will rank right up there....(trying to keep it light and all in perspective and, again, thank all of you sooooo much - luv, luv, luv)

#81640 - 07/04/06 03:33 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
Lola_dup2 Offline
Lola_dup2  Offline

Canada
Quote:
whatever.... something that would not require the absolute devotion our large avians do. I did read her bio and she had NEVER even owned a bird in her life (much like other pets).
Didnít she say they had a Quaker or something and her little brother scared it away and apparently they were lucky its a Quaker so it will be fine outside? Isnít that the attitude you just have to love mad Makes me wonder if they even bothered to look for the bird when it got out. I havenít seen GalahGirl back online since yesterday, But I believe sheís come to the conclusion that everyone on this Board hates her so I donít know if she will come back here. confused Best we can do now is Cross our fingers and hope she clues into something. I do think we should continue the Too discussion with her if its still in her mind. however long it takes to get her to understand that a too will not work for her. She did minimal amounts of research as well. Not cluing it to her asthma and her sisters allergies and Cockatoo dust... frown , and she totally flipped when I mentioned boy toos and a womanís period. Its like at mall events I do with my birds. Everyone wants a bird that talks just because it can. I try and steer those people towards a smaller bird like a cockatiel ( there are many at the sanctuary that need a home ) and all they really care about is if the bird can talk angry I really do hate people

But we do need to try an be a firm but as nice as possible with her ( if she comes back) At least that poor too at the pet store will have another chance to end up at a GOOD home if heís sold.

#81641 - 07/04/06 04:06 AM Re: ARE OTHER AVIAN LOVERS AND AMERICANS AS OFFENDED AS I WAS BY FINAL RESPONSE????  
LoriL Offline
LoriL  Offline

Powder Springs, GA
Lola - couldn't agree with you more and that was the simple point I was trying to make. Obviously this young (and albeit) intelligent girl was attempting to get in over her head with no experience with (sad to say) but probably drastic results for the poor bird, herself and her family (BAD ON THE PARENTS FOR LEAVING IT UP TO THE CHILD - NO MATTER HOW INTELLIGENT SHE MAY BE!!!) - sorry, but just had to get that out....Many members in this forum tried to redirect her (I personally would have directed her to started as I did 40 years ago with "other" pets, worked my way up to smaller birds, done as she did and read, read, read and researched, before going down the road at all with avians.... I know I've repeated myself many times but have learned from many years experience (and STILL don't know ALL there is to know so count on you guys sooo much for info) My only fear (again, repeated many times...that we simply cut this girl off and she is going to be headstrong and go out and get the "poor" bird and wind up in the same scenario as the one I told you all about with the man who had the too for sale ($750/bird and cage) who was his daughter's bird and, when she left for college, the bird wound up in a cage in their basement and screamed his head off 24 hours a day - and my next comment was "Gee, I wonder why?" And, I think this little girl is headed down the same road. Many people tried to give her advice and then the conversation/feedback to her was closed. It should NOT have been. Everyone could have reinforced info, experiences, etc. that MAY have gone a long way to talking her out of this HUGE mistake....I mean, you just don't read and research and then, go to a pet store to get a too and presume you know it all!!! It takes years of growth, maturity, time, money (and the list goes on....) before you are even semi-capable of dealing with a large bird. Like I have said and tried to say many times, I totally understand how some people get angry enough to "blast" the girl, but we really, really, really could have redirected her and, hopefully educated/trained, etc. and am sitting here, as I have been for days now thinking that she was headstrong and intelligent enough to think "she knows best" and the fact that she got "cut off" will only drive her to the pet shop. Again...BAD on the parents for not educating themselves as well before allowing her to go down this road and most of the advice TRIED to warn her in the best possible way (even though she argued, debated and - even though she considered herself an educated and informed young girl) did not even scrape the surface of what she really needed to know. It gives me nightmares to re-read her posts and see that her issues are that she is not starting out "small" and working her way up but wants to "jump in at the deep end" which she has NO business doing. Sorry, don't mean to preach but this is the one and only scenario on this site that has really broken my heart because all others are genuinely pet lovers/owners, etc. and because the girl (albeit intelligent, spoiled and headstrong) was really trying her best and could have benefited by good, sound advice instead of winding up being "slammed" and cut off from the very people who could have redirected her focus.
Judging by comments and replies, some agree, some don't but my heart still aches for the poor bird that I feel pretty sure she will get anyway and BAD on the parents that they did not go behind her, look at the info, research and comments and monitor what she is attempting to do.
Thanks for taking time to listen/read this completely long post.
Luv all you guys and you have been a huge help to me and our 3 birds, 2 doggies and an aquarium full of fish, snails, etc. We are animal lovers, adopt when we can, take in strays, I am a total sucker for any type of animal be it bird, dog or whatever....that is why this is really on my mind and has been for days now....
P.S. There are several members that I would love to contact because you and they offer such excellent advice and experience. Do you know how I can do that?
Thanks, Lori, Baby and family.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny