Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RB2sMom), 78 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#74976 - 03/28/04 05:33 PM Irons coated with teflon?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that when the teflon coatings are over heated, the particles break up into a toxic gas that does affect humans slowely, but kills birds instantly.

I checked if we had any teflon coated items in our house and found that perhaps the iron does. Do they coat irons with teflon? And what maximum temperatures do most irons reach? Because the reaction happens at about 1000 oC.

#74977 - 03/28/04 05:47 PM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buyer be aware, the newest trend is to add teflon to household cleaning supplies and now to clothing! I don't know about irons though. You may want to contact the manufacturer and ask. I know someone on the list had concerns about their hair (feather) dryer and asked the manufacturer and it was free of teflon.

#74978 - 03/29/04 11:55 AM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

How lame can companies get? Who wants non-stick clothing?! But I guess it's safe because nobody I know cooks their clothes. But what about when we iron it?

#74979 - 03/29/04 02:55 PM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
Gregory's Mom Offline
Gregory's Mom  Offline

England
You are right to be concerned. The golden rule here is that if you have any doubt about something - keep it well away from the birds. And I do believe that they coat irons with Teflon.

It frightens me when I think that I knew none of this stuff when I got my first bird - it is pure luck that I didn't harm him accidentally. It frightens me even more to think that there are many bird owners out there who don't bother to do any research. :rolleyes:

Just a little warning while we're talking about harmful gases. 3 years ago, we had our gas central heating system checked. It was absolutely fine, but when the engineer had finished and was putting the case back on the boiler, he knocked one of the valves and caused a gas leak.

That was late in the afternoon, and Gregory was in the next room. By next morning, he was quite sick.

Knowing him so well, I could see straight away that he wasn't himself, and then I caught the faint smell of gas.

I won't tell you what I said to the heating engineer, but you can imagine.

As for Gregory, a few days staying round at my partner's mom's house was luckily all that was needed to clear his system.

#74980 - 03/29/04 03:49 PM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
What I have done in my new laudry room; is to add a bathroom exhaust fan so that any fumes will be directly vented outside. I also put one in my new birdroom so it'll suck some of the 'Too dust outside, LOL. Bathroom exhaust fans.....aren't just for bathrooms anymore, LOL wink !

#74981 - 03/29/04 03:55 PM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
Jo Ann Offline
Lives Here
Jo Ann  Offline
Lives Here

toronto canada
Irontoo teflon heated to 400 - 500 degrees is when it starts to let off the toxic fumes not 1000 degrees some things that let off the fumes
Some Products That Use Polytetraflouethylene
Heat lamps
Portable heaters
Sole plates on irons
Ironing board covers
Burners on stove tops
Drip pans for burners
Broiler pans
Griddles
Many cooking utensils
Woks
Waffle makers
Electric skillets
Deep fryers, crock pots,
Hot air popcorn poppers
Coffee makers
Bread makers
Non-stick rolling pins
Lollipop molds
Corkscrews
Never-Stick-Stainless Steel
Stockpots
Roasters
Non-stick gingerbread molds
Pizza pans
Tortilla presses

#74982 - 03/29/04 11:19 PM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
microsatellite Offline
microsatellite  Offline

British Columbia, Canada
I currently have a forty-year old iron that I use exclusively, since I haven't been able to find a modern one without a non-stick coating on the bottom. It's getting hard to find ANYTHING without a nonstick coating on it! So, for me thrift store irons and cast-iron pans are the way to go (and a thrifty way to go, too), rather than risk the birds (not to mention my own health)

#74983 - 03/30/04 03:54 AM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
GeriDoc Offline
GeriDoc  Offline

New York City
For those of you who are technically minded, here is a pretty good paper about teflon toxicity. If you aren't inclined to read so much, suffice it to say that at around 400F you can see plenty of toxic substances offgasing.

#74984 - 03/30/04 11:18 AM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
Thanks, GeriDoc; that's some pretty frightening information in that paper. Does anyone out there know exactly what "hard anodized" really means? I've been looking for cookware (example Caphalon) but none of the websites offer details on what makes their non-Teflon non-stick cookware work.

On the lighter side, just another excellent excuse not to iron!! laugh

#74985 - 03/30/04 02:48 PM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are just sooooooo many things that are hazardous to our guys. Like M2Mom, we have installed 3 additional exhaust fans in key rooms in the house. Noisy but they work! Janet

#74986 - 03/30/04 05:08 PM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have an exhaust fan in our kitchen, it's small and it isn't directly above the oven. I don't think it has a use. But we're getting another bigger one soon.

#74987 - 04/01/04 01:17 AM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
My Sammy Offline
My Sammy  Offline

Hi All,
I lost 3 birds years ago by Tephlon intoxication....
Pan scorched and all three were dead! shocked Remeber, if you must use these items ONLY LOW HEAT!!!!! cool
I have removed anything to do with Tephlon in our home, I am NOT taking any chances!!!!
If there had been an infant in the home that fatefull day, It would have died!
Just a heads up is all.

#74988 - 04/01/04 01:30 AM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
MySammy - that's awful - I'm so sorry you and your birds had to go through that! The only time I've "yelled" at my partner was when he was making crepes in teflon pans on high heat. I was hoping the smoke was just burning olive oil. He knows that if he caused my bird's death it would be the one thing for which I could never forgive him. Or myself, for not being there to prevent it.

IronToo - I just have to ask: Is your name choice a play on "Iron Butterfly" and "Iron Maiden?"

#74989 - 04/01/04 03:05 AM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
Birdfriend2 Offline
Birdfriend2  Offline

Englewood, NJ
400 degrees f. is definately the temperature at which teflon is known to produce toxic fumes. I have a roll of teflon "pipe thread compound" (plumbing tape) that has that warning on it. If the temperature of the pipe is 400 degrees, fumes could be deadly to humans! I couldn't believe it when I saw that warning from the manufacturer on the product! They admitted it was dangerous at 400 degrees!
We regularly set our ovens to that temperature or higher (bisquick recipe calls for 425). Whenever the oven is heating, a cookie sheet is exposed to a much higher temperature directly from the heating element. Unsafe, people!
The "teflon" drip pans that you put under the burners on your stove make me especially crazy. Throw these away! They are ALWAYS heated to unsafe levels.

#74990 - 04/01/04 05:14 AM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
Lori and Flockatiels Offline
Lori and Flockatiels  Offline

VA
The newest one that I have seen in the pet catalogs is Teflon coated dog collars and leashes. For resisting stains, you know. Geesh.
I got rid of my teflon, too. The plain stainless pans are harder to clean, but I can live with that (grew up with them anyhow).
I won't touch Teflon coated clothing. My iron came from good old Wally World. They do have non teflon coated ones, but your selection is lower (the retro one was cute!).
I don't know WHY the trend is to put it into so many things.
Non stick rolling pins??? I thought that was what the flour was for??? Lori

#74991 - 04/01/04 06:13 AM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
Grace C Offline
Grace C  Offline

AZ/NV
Post update: (this part was added after the following) FDA paper on Aluminum, Anodization, coating and household use

Anodize is a term for coating metal, most are highly chemical process.. some cookwear that is "hard anodized" has a final step of teflon coating.

*ad quote* The Hard Anodization process alters & hardens the structure of the cookware surface, making it incredibly abrasion resistant
Twice as hard as Stainless Steel
Combines the best attributes of a very hard surface treatment with the quick-even heat transfer of aluminum
The process seals the aluminum preventing any direct contact between the core & food. Hard Anodized Cookware allows heat to quickly & evenly spread across the bottom & up the sides of the pot making it one of the best cooking surfaces available. *end quote*

Many automotive parts and esp motorcycle parts are anodized how to anodize aluminum

Seems to be a very chemical process but as for the changes on surface for superheating and possible toxins that are released, I will like to do some more research. I have a friend that works in this type of field.. or should I say has access to toxicology and environmental info.. I will see if he knows anything

~grace

#74992 - 04/01/04 06:43 AM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
Maria Offline
Maria  Offline

Cocoa, FL
Cooking tip.......

I tossed all of my teflon pans as soon as Faith and Echo came to live with us. The stainless IS harder to keep clean. I've found that adding baking soda and water to my dirty pans, heating them for a couple of minutes and any food that was stuck on them, comes off much easier.

#74993 - 04/01/04 06:32 PM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
Tsuki Offline
Tsuki  Offline

Switzerland
I have a Laura Star steam ironing system. Not only does it cut down on the time to iron, there is no coating on the bottom of the iron. They sell a special pad to use to clean the soleplate so you need no chemicals. I iron in the same room as our Triton and she loves it -my guess is that it is the noise the machine makes. I bought my Laura Star in Switzerland but I believe they are sold in many other countries. They are expensive but well worth the money.

#74994 - 04/01/04 09:46 PM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
There are irons out there without a teflon base cause I just bought one less than a year ago from Walmart. It was $50. Lovely iron, too. Now can you tell me how I stop Zazu and Sally from jumping on the ironing board as soon as I leave the kitchen. Like I said it is a lovely iron with a stainless steel plate on the bottom.

Bev, Zazu and Sally Ann

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#74995 - 04/01/04 11:48 PM Re: Irons coated with teflon?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know how you stopped them

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny