Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7321 - 05/04/02 06:12 PM Self-mutilating  
kari Offline
kari  Offline

washington state
First off I need to post that I have taken Peaches to the vet and I put on perma-vet ointment on her wound. She was making great progress until I removed most to all sunflower seeds out of her diet. She is a seed thrower, she only eats what she likes and then puts the rest on her head... She was doing just great until I took out the sunflower seeds 2 days ago then this morning I uncovered her cage to find she is back picking at her chest. Could this be a problem with the seeds or maybe something else I am doing wrong? Please help
Thanks frown

#7322 - 05/05/02 12:17 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Kari...
I'm sorry but we need more history on your bird. Have you posted these facts somewhere else on this board? confused

#7323 - 05/05/02 12:33 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
kari Offline
kari  Offline

washington state
Hi Jerry, well I don't know much history on her. I have asked but to no help is the place I got her. Is is molting, and very jittery at every noise in the house. She is in a quiter room away from my conures. She seemed to adjust well in here where I am on the computer alot. She has lots of toys but does not play with them that I have seen. I have taken her to my vet and she is in good health other than her picking at the same spot til it bleeds. She did stop doing that for about a week then I took out the sunflower seeds. She is only 2 and the sweetest little thing. But I don't know what to do from here. confused

#7324 - 05/05/02 01:30 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Ok.. first: What kind of cockatoo is she?

Second: Has she been on an all seed diet? If so, did you just stop giving her seed all at once?
If so, please return the seed ASAP and then we'll take it from there OK?

#7325 - 05/05/02 02:33 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
kari Offline
kari  Offline

washington state
Sorry she is a goffin and while with me about 3 weeks she is on pallet & seeds mixture.

#7326 - 05/05/02 02:46 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
kari Offline
kari  Offline

washington state
Ok I just gave her all seeds from my cocktiels food. She just put it all on her head like she was taking a bath. Now she will eat a few pallets, sunflower seeds and a few small seeds that is in her mix. Hartz parrot diet from walmart. main ingredient sunflower seeds which I have taken most out. Could this be part of her problem is her diet and mostly seeds? The people at the pet store will not give info on her past so I need help. I really feel sorry for her and want to cry cause I can't stop her.

#7327 - 05/05/02 03:17 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Ok. You need to know what she was eating before you got her. If that was sunflower seed, then by all means give her that for right now! You cant just stop feeding her what she's use to. You must slowly over time change her diet. A new home and new diet will surely stress her out. Dont change anything for awhile!

#7328 - 05/05/02 04:53 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
kari Offline
kari  Offline

washington state
Ok I think also something else is wrong with her. I was playing with another bird in her cage while (peaches) is her name was on my shoulder. All of the sudden blood way every where. She had picked her self. While I was having a good time she was not. I am trying to keep her in the quitest room in the house but not sure what else to do beside a collar on her. Am I missing something else? I will change her food and start all over with her. Thanks for your help jerry.
Kari

#7329 - 05/05/02 11:25 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
Gitti Offline
Gitti  Offline

Germany
Kari,
is there also a "situation" when she picks? I mean, is it only after the same situations (you playing with another bird, leaving the room, entering the room etc.), seems it to be due to a sudden itchiness or more than like as boredom ("ok, let me pick a little bit"), is there any sign before she begins picking? Do you still put the ointment on her wound? Is she biting in her flesh directly or first feather-pluckung and then mutilating?
Try also to observe her exactly and also try to find out if there are "similar" situations to cause her picking!
When you got her 3 weeks ago (where did you get her, from a pet-store, from private - there must be a chance to get more informations about her - or did you found her?), has she already this wound? Which examinations had been done at the vet?
There are so many questions, but first, like Jerry already recommanded, don't change the diat rapidly or others, as she 's still in the "acclimate-phase" and there are so many things, which could irritate her!

Regards
Gitti from Germany (with "alien" English :-)
#7330 - 05/05/02 05:07 PM Re: Self-mutilating  
kari Offline
kari  Offline

washington state
You guys are great for helping me.
First all of her freathers were looking so good until this happened yesterday. She has always been jumpy or scared at every out break of noice, like me putting a coffee cup on my desk.
She just bites herself, she would still have the feathers before the bleeding. Now she has no feathers, She removes the bloody ones on her chest. When I pet her she looks to me like she over grooms herself. Like just a touch will tringer a itch or a touch from a person is too much stimulation.
I got her from a pet store, them from private owner. They will not answer my questions, they say they don't know. I will call the main pet store this afternoon to see if I can get my questions answered. See one person owns 2 pet stores. If animals don't sell in one they bring them to another. Sorry about this long post but I an trying very hard to help if I can before it is too late.
Yes I am still puting the ointment on her. I just fed her and she is only eatting the sunflower seeds. Nothing else.
I will call the vet on monday and get her in again.

#7331 - 05/05/02 06:20 PM Re: Self-mutilating  
Gitti Offline
Gitti  Offline

Germany
Kari,
do you have a really good vet? If not maybe others here can suggest one! I'm a little bit confused that the vet made no tests, but used/gave an ointment! The wrong ointment may cause more irritation (due to fatty/oily ingrediets) and also stop/block the healing (as the wound-recrement cannot flow out ??? it it may come to an inflamation).
Yes, and try to tell the pet-shop-owner how important it would be to get in contact with the former owner, it they are afraid that the owner is angry about giving their adress to you, also ask to give your adress or phone-No. to them! Explain them, that it is an "emergency-case".
Maybe Peaches has an allergic problem! It would be good to know how she was kept with the owner, if there she also had this mutilating-problem etc.
And try to give her sleep more then 10 hours, best I think, will be 12 hours without any disruption and unknown background-noises (helps to calm her a little bit, as it seems she's very nervous!)

Regards
Gitti from Germany (with "alien" English :-)
#7332 - 05/05/02 08:20 PM Re: Self-mutilating  
Randa Offline
Randa  Offline

Kari- I agree with Gitti- make sure you have a good AVIAN vet. While your there, find out which area bird behaviorists the vet recommends. Then call your bird club and see who they recommend. You need professional help NOW. This is not just plucking, it is full bown self-mutilation and she can bleed to death VERY quickly. Did you quarantine this bird at all after you purchased it? Make sure you mention this to your vet.

#7333 - 05/06/02 08:01 PM Re: Self-mutilating  
kari Offline
kari  Offline

washington state
Hi bird friends and thanks for all the help.
I contacted the "main" store of the 2, they had her first and they knew she plucked!!! I can't believe they sold a sick bird and did not say anything to the workers at the other store... The worker said she bit the last owner and that is why she needed to sell her. Then once in the store plucking started and I was told she was molting. I took her to the vet and yes she was molting but also bitting her self.. I am trying to return her if I can I am afraid my other birds will too pluck. I have one that did before I got her and she is in great condition and is very loving to all of us.
Thanks again for everything.

#7334 - 05/06/02 08:59 PM Re: Self-mutilating  
3toos Offline
3toos  Offline

Vancouver Island
Kari,,,

Please send an email to Melinda immediately, she also is in Washington state, and she will know a good avian vet in your area, or her vet will!

If you cannot find one soon, contact us, we are in Victoria BC, just across from Port Angeles WA and our avian vet will find someone close to help you.

Keep trying to do as everyone here is suggesting, do not despare, just try your best and please remember that everyone here is willing to help you, you are not alone! Sometimes we may sound a little pushy, but that is just to prompt you and let you know that there is no time to waste here.

Cockatoos are some of the most difficult creatures to understand and care for, but also the most rewarding! Remember that you are not alone. Contact us, and keep posting, we all learn together. smile

Peter

Some days it's chaos around here!
and I would not have it any other way.
#7335 - 05/07/02 12:03 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
Kari, I wanted to cry when I read that you want to return peaches if you can. It has taken me two months just to get the moluccan I took in just to come to me. I also thought of returning her but I know in my heart that the last thing she needs is to move again!! She is just now getting her chewed up feathers back. I hope you can have the patience to work with this bird instead of getting it ANOTHER home. Maybe it needs more time or there is a medical reason for this. Maybe you just need the right vet. Good luck to both of you.

#7336 - 05/07/02 02:02 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
kari Offline
kari  Offline

washington state
I was too afraid to keep her any longer and yet I did not want to give up. She went to a good caring woman who loved her the first time she saw her at the store the day before I got her. She has a quit house and home all the time. I was so concerned not only for her but my other bird also that is a past plucker and is doing very well. She will be well taken care of and loved just as much or more then I could. I just felt I was the wrong person for her to be with. I did not want to give up but I felt I had to do it to save her life.
Thanks again.
Kari

#7337 - 05/07/02 07:12 AM Re: Self-mutilating  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

???? So you took peaches back to the store? How can you be sure of where she went if you did, this is the store that wouldn't tell you the truth. Are you SURE peaches went with this woman? And what if this woman cannot handle peaches mutilation and plucking? You couldn't Kari. Did you get some money back that you spent on her? Perhaps the best thing to do was find a sanctuary that would keep peaches for life and donate money for her care....from all of the things I have learned from this website and the parrot lovers here is that the LAST thing a cockatoo needs is to be shuffled from home to home. I hope Peaches is ok, it probably would have been best if you never even took her home, how confusing and upsetting it must have been to poor Peaches to be loaded up and taken to yet another home. Shame on you for giving up on Peaches because it was too hard watching her pick untill she bled.....you obviously have previous experience if your other parrot was a plucker. I hope you didn't get back half of what you paid for Peaches. mad

#7338 - 05/07/02 08:24 PM Re: Self-mutilating  
Marcus Offline
Marcus  Offline

Seattle
kari,

If you're anywhere near Seattle, give Dr. Tracy Bennett a call, at the Bird & Exotic Clinic. It's in Ballard, just north of the city. Her number is (206) 783-4538. She's the best in the area, and has helped us a lot with our Goffin...

marcus

#7339 - 05/08/02 12:12 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
Randa Offline
Randa  Offline

Marcus? Kari returned the bird when she found out it wasn't mulching. Your support is nice, but she decided to get rid of it.

#7340 - 05/08/02 01:28 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
Marcus Offline
Marcus  Offline

Seattle
Quote:
Randa: Marcus? Kari returned the bird when she found out it wasn't mulching. Your support is nice, but she decided to get rid of it.
Mulching? I'm not sure what you mean. And in case you think I'm cheering Kari on for taking the bird back, you're wrong. There was a lot she could've done for the bird, and she could've made a commitment to try to help it get well. For better or for worse, though, she didn't. Hopefully it's found a good home at last.

Of course, I wouldn't call my post support, but rather a recommendation for a solid, skilled Avian Vet that could help her through the problem. But take it how you want, as it's obvious you've got a problem with me now. Good for you.

#7341 - 05/08/02 06:19 AM Re: Self-mutilating  
kari Offline
kari  Offline

washington state
Update on Peaches. She is doing very well in her new home and new people friends. She is no longer as of today picking at herself. Sometimes we need to really look at ourselves and even the love we have to give is not all they need. She is doing great even though it was a touch choice I am glad for her I made it. I just wanted to say again thanks for all your help.

#7342 - 05/08/02 06:16 PM Re: Self-mutilating  
Marcus Offline
Marcus  Offline

Seattle
That's great Kari! Hopefully she'll continue to improve. If you're in a position to visit her from time to time, or keep tabs on her, let us know how she's doing...

And recommend that vet!

#7343 - 05/09/02 03:53 PM Re: Self-mutilating  
kari Offline
kari  Offline

washington state
Thanks Marcus I will and yes I can visit her. I plan to do just that in a few days. I also want to say it was best for her since I could not help her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny