Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 76 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7308 - 04/26/02 08:52 AM little corella lunging as a person walks past the cage  
matt and lou Offline
matt and lou  Offline

brisbane, qld, australia
hi, i have made another post to the group on screaching which contains a lot of history detail about this bird.

basically hes a 3yr old corella, and although this is not causing us any problem, its a wierd sort of behaviour.

when lou walks past his cage, or approaches his cage, or holds onto the cage as we move it inside/outside etc, "buffy" will attempt to lunge at her through the cage as if he was trying to attack her. if she has a finger around a wire, or is within reaching range he will bite .. hard .

whats really wierd tho is, she spends a lot more time with him and has become really attached to him, he doesnt do it with me (im at work 8hrs a day)..

when she opens the cage, he's fine as pie. he has no problem exiting/entering the cage of his own accord, being placed in the cage to sleep at night or generally she can handle him without any problem.

just seems wierd. its like, ill only try to bite you, when i know i have no chance of being able to. he's an incredibly smart bird, and he must realise that as she walks past, she's a good 1-2ft away from the cage, and there is no point at all in attempting to lunge at her.

advice? ideas?

#7309 - 04/27/02 04:06 AM Re: little corella lunging as a person walks past the cage  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Sounds like territoriality to me. That's HIS cage. HE owns it. And he doesn't want to share.

I'm just glad that this doesn't continue out of the cage.

And just because she's home more, doesn't mean she'll get "picked" as the favorite human. Birds pick who they want to pick. Read "Luna's story" elsewhere. They certainly have their own minds about who they want to love, no matter what our plans are.

Jeanne

#7310 - 04/29/02 03:52 AM Re: little corella lunging as a person walks past the cage  
matt and lou Offline
matt and lou  Offline

brisbane, qld, australia
hi jeanne,

thank you muchly for your reply..

i thought about territory, but whats wierd is that if lou walks past he'll lunge, but if she opens the door and sticks her arm in, he's fine. so even though he appears to be aggressive with her strolling past and making these lunges, if she opens the door and sticks her arm in, he's fine and will quite happily allow her to occupy any space within his territory. (but if there is bars in the middle its a different story)

as for picking the favourite. she definately is. if he is in a position to chose who he wants to be with, he will always run to her. even if he is quite comfortable on my shoulder, if lou is around he will scamper down and run over her or simply fly over to her shoulder.

also i made a very lengthy post in another forum (the screaming one) but it seems to have disappeared, this was the one that contained the bulk of the information on him and some of the issues we're working through at the moment. do you know where this forum went as it (and my post) seem to have vanished in the last couple of days frown

#7311 - 04/29/02 06:56 AM Re: little corella lunging as a person walks past the cage  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
re: missing post. Darn it, I don't know where it went either, and I made an equally lengthy reply to your post. Wierd...I know I didn't delete the topic..and I can't see any of the other moderators doing so as it was a good topic.

Jeanne

#7312 - 04/29/02 02:57 PM Re: little corella lunging as a person walks past the cage  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Oh Poo, I also made a lengthy reply to your other post. I'll start saving a copy of my lengthy posts in case this happens again. I'll try to remember my comments and post again.

#7313 - 05/02/02 10:18 AM Re: little corella lunging as a person walks past the cage  
matt and lou Offline
matt and lou  Offline

brisbane, qld, australia
fyi i got a msg back from jerry who said there was some problem with the server... i think there was another seperate forum called screaching and whatever, but its completely gone.

ive got a printout, so ill try and find some time to retype the original question in this group tomorrow..

thanks all!

#7314 - 05/02/02 05:09 PM Re: little corella lunging as a person walks past the cage  
Randa Offline
Randa  Offline

Matt and lou- I do not have a cockatoo but I live with a very interesting Grey. Is it possible that your cockatoo just lunges from inside the cage bars because he just enjoys it? Your bird is not territorial, and seems good tempered and this situation does not seem to be escalating to full agression. I am sure this activity may had a logical reason in the past and the bird may have kept it up because it finds the activity entertaining. He does get to feel big and strong and dangerous for a minute or two, right? But does not let that interfere with his happiness when you reach in to get him out. Maybe he just loves watching you guys jump around. Birds really don't care if you get you feelings hurt. So try not to take it more personally than the bird does. Just an idea...

#7315 - 05/14/02 02:21 AM Re: little corella lunging as a person walks past the cage  
Donna Offline
Donna  Offline

Not sure anyone can really come up with a WHY that will make 100% sense to your situation. I can however share some experience.

Birds with territory issues will lunge at any time that someone is near their cage.

Some times lunging can be a mate protection issue. Meaning, person A is the mate and person B is the threat so the bird will lunge in an attempt chase person A away in order to protect it.

It could very well be a game. I lunge, they run off. Not that is really what you are doing but in the more simple mind of a bird, I would suspect that is a possible.

I would however work on a solution. Lunging can lead to other issues, especially when the bird is outside of the cage and decides to try out it's lunging skills there. I've had my arm and shoulder bitten my lunging birds more times than I'd like to recount. So, if I have a lunging bird, I move it and move it and move it until I find a place in the house where I don't have to pass by time and time again. This reduces the lunging. I don't move cages with lunging birds in them. I like my fingers all in one big piece.

So far every lunging bird I have had has gotten over it. With my Grey, she stopped with age and with others, they usually gave it up quicker just because it wasn't fun anymore when the cage wasn't in the major trafic areas.

Donna

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny