Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7306 - 04/25/02 05:24 PM Springtime Maybe?  
kyrasmom Offline
kyrasmom  Offline

California
Hi there,
This is my favorite site and am thrilled to see that there is a message board now! We have a 1 yr. old U2. He is, like most babies, adorable and lovable, all cuddles and affection most of the time.
He has always been fine with both me and my husband, a little bit stickier to me before but no big difference. I left for 3 weeks for work overseas and since I've come back he's been a little bit aggressive towards me.

He alternates cuddles with anger, attempting to lunge at my face and then nip at the hand that holds his toes. When I hold him I've always had a finger on top of his toes to avoid any shoulder climbing...and it's always been fine because he loves to cuddle against my chest. He doesn't draw blood, he just leaves little indentations in my hand.

Could this possibly be because I was gone? Or is it springtime and could he possibly be just acting out. He's vocalizing a lot more and just seems to strut more than before. He's not acting out with my husband as much...though my husband is less of an authority figure...lets him do more.

What is a positive time out? When he acts out we tell him no and put him on top of his cage. We adore this little guy to pieces but also know that there have to be some "rules".

We both work from home so he's got lots of company and is always hanging out with us, he plays well by himself also.

Thanks...

Maria and Vittorio

#7307 - 04/26/02 05:35 AM Re: Springtime Maybe?  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Well, I'd say you're entering the "terrible twos". He probably is not happy with you for "deserting" him, but the adolescent period in a cockatoo's life can be...interesting. (See Luna's story elsewhere on the board) Just try hard to keep handling him, loving him, interacting with him, and not reacting to his acting out.
Hopefully he'll come around.
Jeanne

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny