Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Jac), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7287 - 04/17/02 10:01 PM Strange behaviour?  
Mr.Gorgeous Offline
Mr.Gorgeous  Offline

uk
Our Sulphur Crested, Gorgeous, who now has a collar on while a wound on her neck heals (Many thanks to all the people who kindly gave us good advice) has started doing something I have not observed before. She is drinking more liquid than normal, then masticating with her beak and tongue, and producing a white froth. I am not sure whether she is working up saliva, or regurgitating liquid. She then frown rubs the white foam on her feathers, and when it dries the feathers are crusty and hard. I don't know whether this behaviour is because she cannot preen in the normal way, or whether she is getting sick and I need to get her back to a vet quickly? The collar has been on for 8 days now. A fresh collar is fitted every day, after coating the wound with anti-biotic gel. The wound, though large appears to be healing, and she is eating, though she is more subdued than normal. I am alarmed because I do not understand the behaviour. Has anyone seen this happen before?
Many thanks,

Ron and Richard, Surrey UK.

#7288 - 04/18/02 03:20 AM Re: Strange behaviour?  
Melinda Offline
Melinda  Offline

Sorry, I don't know about the white froth thing. Can you call your vet and ask? That's what I'd do... unless someone else here knows.

I just wanted to drop a note to tell you how happy I am to read that Gorgeous is healing! Woohoo! Sounds like you're doing a great job.

BTW, did you know that garlic and cinnamon have antibiotic properties? Perhaps he'd like to chew on a cinnamon stick? That and some probiotics would give you some peace of mind about the possibility of infection. Just a thought for you. Hope he heals quickly! smile

#7289 - 04/18/02 11:04 AM Re: Strange behaviour?  
dachsie Offline
dachsie  Offline

united Kingdom
Hi,
I think may be you need to speak with your vet just to be on the safe side.
My CAG did this at one time. I took him to the vet, he had a condition called sour crop, or that is what my vet called it. He had a course of synulox drops and was fine after a couple of weeks. I hope your bird gets better soon,
Dawn smile

#7290 - 04/18/02 04:55 PM Re: Strange behaviour?  
Mr.Gorgeous Offline
Mr.Gorgeous  Offline

uk
Spoke to the vet this morning, who said bring her in immediately. He said that the white froth was being caused by an infection in the crop and that she was very poorly. He said it is possible that an infection in the crop was causing iritation and was what started the biting in the first place, and that now she is weaker from the wound the infection is taking over. She is now on injections, and oral medicine, but seems to be going down hill. You feel so useless when there is nothing else you can do but watch and hope.

#7291 - 04/18/02 08:17 PM Re: Strange behaviour?  
dachsie Offline
dachsie  Offline

united Kingdom
Hi,
I am so sorry that your bird is not well, but please dont get too worried. My bird was really under the weather when he had it, but the medications soon kicked in. The sour crop that my bird had was a bacterial infection in the crop. My vet emptied the contents of his crop out, this was very unpleasant for him, and then he washed the crop out with bicarbonate of soda. I had to give him the antibiotic drops straight down his throat. My vet told me to make sure that I took all grit away, so as not irritate the crop even more and feed him only soft food. No seeds or rough food for a week. At one point I thought he would die, he seemed so weak and lifeless. But after about forty eight hours he perked up. I had to continue the antibiotics for fourteen days. I still dont know where he got this infection from, but he has never had a problem since. Try to keep his beak clean, I used to wash the slime and froth off. Also I put a pinch of bicarbonate of soda in his water, to stop the acidity in his ccrop. I dont know if you can get it in the states. Please dont get too depressed, Im sure you have got him to the vet in time. Just give him plenty of soft food. Baby foods are the best, easily digested and a high in calories to keep his strength up. Please keep us posted, and good luck to you and your bird.
Dawn smile

#7292 - 04/18/02 08:24 PM Re: Strange behaviour?  
dachsie Offline
dachsie  Offline

united Kingdom
Hi again,
I should be more observant, I see you are in the UK. What antibiotic has the vet given you? Synulox is the best treatment for sour crop. May be you could ask the vet for this. They ccome in powder form that you have to mix with water.
My CAG used to have four drops six times a day.
If I can be of any help please feel free to email me direct, Cheers for now Dawn. smile

#7293 - 04/19/02 02:31 AM Re: Strange behaviour?  
3toos Offline
3toos  Offline

Vancouver Island
Mr Gorgeous,

I am so sorry to hear about your Sulphur Crested having this infection as well as the wound. I really hope that recovers quickly.

I am very glad that you are such a concientious and well informed owner. If Mr. Gorgeous was with a less observant family thing would not have ended well at all. Thank god for you being that way with him.

And thank you for sharing this with us, I and all the others that read this, will know what to watch for now. It is shared information like this that makes this message board so usefull.

Please keep us posted as to how both of you are doing.

Peter

Some days it's chaos around here!
and I would not have it any other way.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny