Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 81 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7264 - 04/11/02 09:23 AM Toos biting their nails?  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Ok, does anyone else have a too who bites his nails? I mean really bites them? Fred U2 is extremely calm about me filing or clipping his nails, just sits on my lap and hands me his feet, but every once in a while, he actually bites his nails! Pieces fly off them and land in my lap, and then they have horribly sharp tips, so I have to file them again. What is up with this? He never bites them to the quick or anything...

Jeanne
who almost got a piece of Too Toenail in her eye a few minutes ago.

#7265 - 04/11/02 08:05 PM Re: Toos biting their nails?  
chris Offline
chris  Offline

New Albany, IN
I beleive it's called SHARPENING the nail. I'm pretty sure they would have extremely sharp nails in the wild. You can hang upside down on a limp displaying and screaming much more safely with SHARP nails.

#7266 - 04/11/02 11:18 PM Re: Toos biting their nails?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not having a U2, but still wanting to throw in my two cents, here goes:I have never seen my conure"sharpening" her nails, they are sharp enough with out her filing them down with her beak to razor blades. Nail biting in humans is a habit-usually related to anxiety, or other emotions. Given poor fred's past, is it possible he could just be giving into old feelings of fear and anxieity? Or it could just be a habit..tell us more about it, has he done it ever since he came to your home? When is most likely to do it? I am interested to see if there is a reason behind it, and not just "sharpening"

#7267 - 04/12/02 02:55 AM Re: Toos biting their nails?  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Ivan, I've tried to think about that too...it could be related to nervousness, or at least my husband says he think it is. He's done it since he came here to live, and it's a once-a-week type thing. Usually it's when he's in his cage, later at night, but sometimes it's when he's on me (like last night)
At first I thought he wasn't really biting them, but he definitely does have pieces fly off them. I know sharp nails are good for them but my skin says no...

Jeanne

#7268 - 04/12/02 04:01 AM Re: Toos biting their nails?  
chris Offline
chris  Offline

New Albany, IN
It's really just like beak maintenance guys. Mine does it (honing the nails) while preening and sitting in the sun...just about the most relaxed state he's in. Here is SOMETHING to watch for. Nails trimmed to far, not allowing curvature to maintain balance on various sized perches. In the old, lengthy quarantine days, they trimmed nails once for the entire quarentine period. This bad technique has translated into how closely vets trim. Ever notice after a MAJOR trim, how your bird will mouth at it nails without really doing anything? My beleif is that there is "phantom" feeling of still having the longer nail. laugh Yeah, my arms used to be a wreck too, but I just don't let Lucky stand on my arm all day...He's got stuff sort, chew, and toss about!!!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny