Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7250 - 04/05/02 07:33 PM PICKING UP WITH A STICK  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
I WAS JUST READING MICHEAL'S MESSAGE A CRY FOR HELP AND I PICKED UP ON GETTING THE BIRD UP ON A STICK TO PICK IT UP. I WAS WONDERING IF THIS IS A GOOD THING TO DO OR NOT. THE REASON I ASK IS BECAUSE THE MOLLUCCAN WE GOT A MONTH AGO WILL NOT LET ME PICK HER UP ON HER CAGE BUT ONCE I GET HOLD OF HER SHE IS OK. SO, WOULD IT BE A GOOD IDEA TO TRY TO PICK HER UP WITH A STICK OR NOT?

#7251 - 04/05/02 09:51 PM Re: PICKING UP WITH A STICK  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Let me go on record as saying I like stick training. The reason is that if you bird is frightened, hormonal, way too excited, whatever, and you offer a stick, if they've been trained to step up on a stick, you can pick your guy up without losing a finger, and at least get him to a safe place. I stick-train everyone, and reinforce it occasionally. It's also REALLY good for hand-shy birds, which sounds like might be an issue with your guy. You could get him from a cage to a stand with less stress.

Jeanne

#7252 - 04/06/02 12:24 AM Re: PICKING UP WITH A STICK  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
THANKS, I MIGHT TRY IT THEN. HE WAS IN AN ABUSIVE HOME AND IS REAL TERRITORIAL ABOUT HIS CAGE SO MAYBE IF I CAN PICK HIM UP WITH A STICK AND HANDLE HIM HE WILL LEARN QUICKER THAT I LOVE HIM. USUALLY ONCE I GET HIM OUT OF SIGHT OF HIS CAGE HE'S FINE.

#7253 - 04/06/02 12:59 AM Re: PICKING UP WITH A STICK  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

I think stick training can be used if the bird is afraid of you..or hands or has not been trained properly to step up to your hand. Of course I would try to teach them to step up to a hand first..but if this isnt working, the stick method is an alterative. Most of my birds came to me as just weaned babies so I was able to hand train them right away. But I have one bird, a Quaker, that was left to lanquish in a pet store for months, alone in her cage, with people poking at her with their hands. When I brought her home she was SO frightened of hands the only way I could convince her to step up WAS with a perch type stick. She has never gotten over the fear of hands and to this day (2 years later) will not allow me to pick her up with my hand, even though once she is on the stick THEN she will walk onto my hand on her own. I accept that this is her choice and since she doesnt fear the stick, instead fears hands..Im not scaring her by allowing her to step up to a stick, and at the same time, avoiding getting bit :-)
I think stick training is ok, IF the bird will not step up to a hand and is not afraid of the stick.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny