Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7247 - 04/05/02 01:07 AM a cry for help  
toolove Offline
toolove  Offline

my family bought a moluccan (Buddy about 3 yrs old, maybe older) not too long ago. we bought it from a family who only let him roam a small hallway and had many, many other pets. we already had greater suplher (Sydney) and my mother and stepfather just bought a baby blue and gold macaw (Dakota). Buddy instantly disliked my mother (who the bird was bought for) and has bitten every member of this family besides me. at first I did not like him much either, but I have recently grown to love him and trust him very much. he seems to have attached himself to me. My mother spends most of her time with the other birds because of her dislike for Bud. My stepfather spends most of his time at work. the problem is (of course) his constant screaming (and i do mean constant, maybe two hours of the day he is quiet) and he seems to be avoiding us. the screaming gets quite frustrating, and they all scream back at him to make him stop. i have asked them not to, but sometimes they just cannot help it. he is left in his cage almost all day because we do errands during the day, and at night he is free, and only screams. we do not have the money to buy him new and exciting toys every other day. no one is exactly nice to him, but its because no matter what he screams. i try to spend a lot of time with him, but even when i do he screams. i play with him, and he screams, i try to sit in the room with him and he screams. i leave the room and he screams, i leave him alone and he screams. when he first arrived he would venture out into the hallway or sit on the ground with us and play. he has recently become very territorial with his cage. he will not even come on my arm to snuggle anymore. when we open his cage to let him out, he will not come to us and then he sits on his cages and goes from one side to the other screaming. my stepfather used to take him in the office with him, where the other two birds live, to try to entertain him, but he only sits and screams. Now when we actually get him to come on our arms, we get to the doorway and he flies back to his cage. we have to trick him into his cage at night, and its getting very frustrating. i know birds require much care, but he wasnt bought for me, so i dont know how to handle him. please please please write me back and help me. im not a bird person, but since he seems to like me the best, i would like to help him become a happier bird. i am afraid he might start mutliating himself. i also would like to help my family stop getting so frustrated with him. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write me back. i am at my wits end.

#7248 - 04/05/02 04:51 AM Re: a cry for help  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Hello,

All birds will choose whom they want to bond with. Often this is not the person that was intended. This might be modified, but definitely wont happen if that person has given up on him. The problem is that Buddy has more than one member of the flock to choose as a mate. It appears that he has chosen you. You should feel very fortunate that he has chosen to give his affection to you. In our house it was Attila (a Cockatiel that was purchased for my son) that has bonded with me.

The first thing that you need is a commitment from the rest of your family to try to work with Buddy. Give him a chance to get through this issue. Everyone needs to change his or her attitude towards Buddy in a positive way. Not to get to out there, but he needs to get "good vibes" from the other members of his flock. Being locked in his cage he is trying to get attention (even negative attention) from the other members of the flock.

The next thing is for him to spend less time in his cage. You should take him to as many different places as you can. Go visit your friends, get him in other environments were you become his point of comfort. Have places through out the house that he can eat. Moving from place to place foraging for food. If you can't handle him then use a stick for him to step up on, but get him away from his cage. The more time he spends in and on his cage he will get more territorial about his cage.

Try and think of it in these terms. He was forcibly removed from his previous flock. Forced into a new flock that does not appear to accept him. He is calling constantly for his old flock to come find him.

You need to get him to accept his new flock (with kindness). At that point when he feels confident and comfortable with this new flock he will stop screaming for his old flock. This isn't to say he will stop screaming completely, just when he does it will be to call you and the other member of your flock to him.

Michael

#7249 - 04/05/02 04:54 PM Re: a cry for help  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
You should also talk quietly to Buddy. You should sit in a chair next to him and read a book out loud. Get him used to your quiet voice.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny