Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7204 - 03/20/02 09:30 AM broken feathers  
NIGHT_DRAGON Offline
NIGHT_DRAGON  Offline

Indiana
One of my umbrellas (the youngest) is constantly breaking his wing feathers, so much so that most his long wing feathers are broke. I don't think he is chewing them because I never find any feathers in the bottom of his cage. He's a very active little fellow and loves to run and jump around. But is not the most graceful of birds,he loves to run around on the floor chasing peoples shoes and he usually trips over his own feet,spreads his wings to catch himself and sure enougn another broken feather.
What I would like to know is should I have these broken wing feathers pulled by the vet or should I just wait for them to come out on there own? I dare not pull them myself,a broken tail feather is one thing a wing feather is a totally different story.
[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/e678ae06/bc/Pets/Casper.jpg?bcEiJ68ACJPMKrY9[/img]

#7205 - 03/20/02 10:02 AM Re: broken feathers  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have any help for you, sorry, I just wanted to tell you what a pretty boy you have there. Maybe mytoos chat should put up a forum for pictures!(sorry again I can't offer help cool laugh )

#7206 - 03/20/02 11:36 AM Re: broken feathers  
Gitti Offline
Gitti  Offline

Germany
Is he still able to fly? If he is used to fly and is running to risk this ability, I would go (in due time) to the vet for pulling off the feathers. Otherwise I would wait to come for their own.
BTW a really pretty boy! How old?

Regards
Gitti from Germany (with "alien" English :-)
#7207 - 03/21/02 09:00 AM Re: broken feathers  
NIGHT_DRAGON Offline
NIGHT_DRAGON  Offline

Indiana
Gitti
No unfortunatly he's not able to fly, his to many of his feathers are busted up,but even when he is in full feather he never has flown, unlike our other Too Peanut who you have to always be on the watch for so you dont get buzzed while he is flying from room to room laugh Casper will be 2 in a couple months.

#7208 - 03/21/02 02:34 PM Re: broken feathers  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
You might consider trimming the broken feathers so they have a clean cut. If these are the same feathers that would be trimmed to keep a bird from flying then no harm is done since he doesn't fly anyway.

#7209 - 04/06/02 05:10 PM Re: broken feathers  
felineangel Offline
felineangel  Offline

Hi, I have a Goffin cockatoo that is always breaking her tail feathers. I used to pluck them out with a hemostat until a vet told me it is better to just let them fall out on their own. She explained that plucking them out while not only painful to the bird, it also may damage to follicle.

#7210 - 04/09/02 08:00 AM Re: broken feathers  
Donna Offline
Donna  Offline

DO NOT have the feathers pulled! This is VERY painful and can lead to many problems, both physical and mental.

If your floors are carpet, you might want to keep his nails trimmed more often, often their tripping is from getting sharp nails caught on the carpet or fabric fibers.

Donna

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny