Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7149 - 02/27/02 03:07 AM Reluctant Companion  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My wife and I adopted a 10 year old cockatoo about 6 months ago. He had been raised in a home which was predominated by women. Hence, he has a very quick and easy attachment to women, but not to men. Which brings me to my quandry. Got any thoughts on how to win over this bird - Spencer. He's in very good health, no plucking and no obvious aberrant behavior problems. He does not completely hate me - he doesn't display any hostile or aggressive behaviors towards me. Instead, he keeps his distance, and will bolt if I cross over too far into his personal space. For example, he will play with me, throw toys, but he will not step up on me or allow me touch him, except maybe while in the bathtub if my wife is also present, and then only to touch his foot. Also, he will accept food from me by hand. And he is
the most stubborn creature (no duh!). When he makes up his mind that's it. For example, he loves baths with spray bottles, but if he's in a mood, forget it. He will not enjoy it at all - won't raise one feather. I realize and accept that it will take lots of time, patience, tolerance and probably some groveling to win this little soul over, but I am willing to do that. I was just hoping that maybe somebody out there would have some suggestions on how to coo a cool hearted cookatoo.

#7150 - 02/27/02 03:33 AM Re: Reluctant Companion  
Michael Online
Admin
Michael  Online
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Hello,

I suggest you start doing all the good things with him and your wife does the things that are not so good. For example you let him out of the cage in the morning. Your wife puts him back in the cage in the evening. You feed him, give him his favorite foods. You bring him to the socializing parts of the house. That is were the family is. You want to get him to associate fun with you.

Mike

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny