Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 57 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68200 - 03/22/06 04:54 AM *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
navicita Offline
navicita  Offline

California
Hello all, i am new both to the message board and to the bird world.
I currently am working in a dog and cat hospital as a vet tech. The owner has an about 7 yr old Moluccan, an African Grey and the focus of my concern about a 4 yr old Umbrella Cockatoo named Lucas.They all live in the hospital and one of our daily tasks is cleaning thier cages and feeding them.
Lucas arrived at the hospital about 1 yr ago, His previous owner said that she was suffering from asthma and could no longer keep him as well as she was moving away and there would be no more room for poor Lucas.
The Dr. took Lucas on with the hope that he and her Moluccan could bond. Of course Lucas' previous owner forgot to mention his behavioral problems. He tried (constantly) to hurt the other two birds, he doesn't let anyone near his cage (trying to feed him and cleaning up is a real hard task!) he screams about 5 hrs a day, and I am sure he is just a few steps away from plucking. frown
At first all 3 birds where kept in a same room. But Lucas behavior has driven us to move him into a different room (the cat boarding room- because its the farthest room from the lobby and clients can't hear his screaming). We are hardly ever in this room.
I was actually working at another location (owned by the same owners) and just about 1 month ago I came back to see that Lucas's behavoir has just escalated to an unbelievable new high.
I have read and read all that comes my way to try and inform myself on Toos. My first step was buying some toys for his cage. The ones he had were old and really used up. I also made it a habit to bring some fresh fruits and some 'too treats i bought at a pet store. Slowly he started let me pet him through the cage. He even let me take him out of his cage and we played catch! It was wonderful!! I took him out a couple of times after that and put him back in his cage succesfully. His screaming decreased dramatically!
However, the last time i took him out. All three birds where outside (in thier cages) - he managed to crawl up to the Grey's cage started attacking it and wouldn't come down!!! I tried and Tried and nothing worked! I got him to STEP Up and everything seemed fine. (i was singing twinkle, twinkle little "Lucas"- which calms him down) Then, as I was getting ready to put him back in his cage - he bit me! and Jumped down from my arm and was heading toward a really large dog run- which if he climed i was never going to get him down- I went for a towel and tried to catch him. It turned into a really ugly sight. I finally managed to get him back in.
Ever since that we are worse then when we started. He looks at me with a I HATE YOU I WANT TO KILL YOU LOOK. I can only compare it to a Rottwieler's look when its getting ready to attack. He has let me pet him about maybe 2x since that (it was about 2 weeks ago) he tries to bite me everytime im near him and his screaming is high again.
I feel sooo bad. No1 ever pays hardly ever any attention and when they try to he just bites them and they give up. Everyone has given up and just labeled ,just an evil bird...
In an ideal world he could come home with me and i could dedicate every single day with him. However i work and am a full time student and 2 dogs of my own to take care of.. And the greatest issue of all.. No bird experience at all!!!
I really have become attached to him and would love to help him in any way i could!!
Any help is greatly appreciated by both me and Lucas laugh

#68201 - 03/22/06 07:00 PM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
navicita Offline
navicita  Offline

California
I'm off to work and to see Lucas... I'm taking him some fruits and veggies...
Wish me luck! wink

#68202 - 03/22/06 07:32 PM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I would hope that the vet would realize that this bird now has no life and would entertain the idea of finding a worthy home or working with a viable rescue organization to find such a home. Does he care for and take good care of the Grey and Moluccan? Bless you for trying to help but this bird needs a stable life with people who care. Maybe you can talk some sense into someone who can make a difference. I wish you the very best, please keep us updated!

#68203 - 03/22/06 07:55 PM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
I was surprised to read that a vet would actually leave poor Lucas alone in a back room like that. It's very kind of you to bring him fruits, veggies and toys. I'm sure he appreciates it. He's just scared and confused right now. What kind of diet do the birds get at the hospital? You're in a sticky situation because the owner is a vet (who should know better) and your boss (who you don't want to offend in any way.)

#68204 - 03/22/06 10:09 PM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Someone needs to step in and rescue this little guy. Poor thing. Thank you for doing what you can! He needs lots of love and patience. Would you boss (the vet) let someone adopt him?

#68205 - 03/23/06 04:10 AM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
LoveMy2 Offline
LoveMy2  Offline

Portland, OR
Bless your heart for trying to help Lucas. I agree that the best thing for him is to find him a home were he will be loved and attention paid to him. I'm sure he's feeling so scared and so abandoned right now that the only thing he feels like he can do is scream for attention and attack when feeling threatened. Poor boy. It's no life for a 'Too. Good luck and keep up posted!

#68206 - 03/23/06 08:04 PM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
navicita Offline
navicita  Offline

California
I know the fact that she is a vet and that she SHOULD know better just makes the whole situation even sadder, in my opinion.
I think that she just really got stuck with the birds. The Moluccan's previous owner abandoned her at the clinic. In my opinion she is the most well taken care of. She actually used to live in the vet's house. But the Vet (i don't want to use her name like you said MOMTOPAULIE said i'm in a sticky situation) actually spent more time in the clinic than at home and that's how she endend up there. And just slowly she just began to lose intrest. I think its a typical case of someone who acquires a bird, without any real thought about how much dedication it really takes to care for it. And as the clinic grew busier, she just had less time for it.
The Grey came to her in a pretty much equal way. And she does have the space and money to take care of them in "THAT" aspect, she just says yes. I think her intentions are good. I guess she figures she's actually helping the birds out. All 3 have very big cages and are fed a really good pellet brand food. But that's it. And all of us Animal lovers here, can agree isn't enough.
Like i said- I, in a second would take Lucas home, but i know that it would just be the same as having him stay at the clinic. Because I can't dedicate the time and patience he needs. It would be selfish. But like we all know: Some people are just like that unfortunately.
I talked to the vet's husband (the clinic's owner) about the possibility of getting Lucas a new home. He said that he would love to give him away, but he knew that no1 would take him, because of his behavior. And he also mentioned that his previous owner was still in contact with them and that apparently there was a deal that they couldn't give Lucas away...
IS it just me or is that just wierd????
But i think that they could be convinced.
I really don't know if he could be adopted out, or if it would be best for him to be put in some kind of santuary. Of course i know, that all this is easier said then done. Once again, i really am a true newbie in the bird world- let alone the rescue world. I would really appreciate any suggestions, advice or comments.
In the meantime - I am absorbing all the info all of you provide in the message boards and on mytoos.com. Hopefully i can provide a change in this bird's life.
Once again thanks to all who replied. smile

#68207 - 03/23/06 10:40 PM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
Kyrie Offline
Kyrie  Offline

That is a great thing that you are trying to do for Lucas. Giving him new toys and fresh fruits and veggies is a great start, and it seems like you were making progress before the "incident". Lucas probably is a little confused and angry at being corraled and towelled by his new friend (although you didn't have a choice).
Maybe for a while you should just go in and sit by his cage whenever you have time and talk or sing quietly to him. In time he will start to relax around you. Also, you may try putting a radio in the bird's room and playing it softly for them. My birds really enjoy music when I am not around. What ever you do, don't let Lucas intimidate you. They really do know if they get the upper hand and will take advantage of it. Next time you decide to get Lucas out, have a plan for getting him back in his cage if things get crazy. Like maybe a dowel that he will step up on.

You are doing a really good thing for Lucas, so keep up the good work, you never know, maybe in time your circumstances will change and Lucas can come home with you. By the way, does anyone pay attention to the grey or the Mollucan?
Keep us posted.

#68208 - 04/05/06 02:13 AM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
navicita Offline
navicita  Offline

California
Lucas is doing really bad- more and more aggresive each and every day.
I can't take working at the clinic much longer... I dont know what to do... frown

#68209 - 04/05/06 02:32 AM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
2sAreNotDisposable Offline
2sAreNotDisposable  Offline

Lucas may be getting to be more aggressive, but keep in mind that spring is mating season, and it's this time of year that Cockatoos, (especially males) tend to be more agressive during this time. Don't give up and keep on offering more treats and toys and he will hopefully come to trust you again and will be himself again once mating season is over. You are doing a good job, don't give up.

(p.s, not saying all cockatoos are more aggressive in spring during mating season, but typically quite abit are, and this seems to be the case in Lucas situation. Atleast from the information I gather. Though it could also be due to the fact that lucas is unhappy living where he is at now at the clinic.)

#68210 - 04/05/06 03:51 PM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Navicita, where in CA are you?

#68211 - 05/03/06 04:09 PM Re: *Lucas* Umbrella TOO  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Navicita, how is Lucas? I worry about him. Please give an update if you can.

Thanks, Kim

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny