Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67508 - 12/25/05 08:38 PM Am I making the right decision?  
Robert S. Offline
Robert S.  Offline

Rhode Island
I am adopting a large male cockatoo this Friday coming up. I didn't make this decision over night and do own a grey. I just read the post about the unwanted Christmas gift/bite and it has giving me cold feet. I was most concerned about the noise that cockatoos can or rather do make. Now it seems like that might be the least of it. This bird doesn't bite (yeah right - most all birds bite). I get it from the grey every now and then - but no blood or anything like that. I had a lory that use to come at me with a mean attack that always ended up with me bleeding. A lory is so small but it hurt - a cockatoo - OMG!! Reading the replies to that post, it seems like many cockatoo owners are getting attacked. Am I adopting a sreaming bird that is going to mess me up? I wanted a 2nd bird and I thought I could offer this bird a nice home with my grey,and small dog/Italian greyhound. I'm a little nervous about it now. confused

#67509 - 12/25/05 09:24 PM Re: Am I making the right decision?  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
You are right to think about this, Robert. Do not get into a hurry, they are a longtime commitment and they do bite! If one has any doubts in their mind, it pays to take the time to decide "properly" if this is what they really want. You can do a Mytoos search for "bites" and "biting" and read, probably, more than you want to.

I'm not trying to discourage adoption here, I applaud you for that and every bird is an individual. Spend all the time necessary and learn how others have effectively dealt with it. That is far better than bringing home a bird that will just have to be shuffled again. That is so hard and confusing to them. Good luck, let us know how it goes and feel free to ask as many questions as you have to. smile

#67510 - 12/26/05 01:59 AM Re: Am I making the right decision?  
dm Offline
dm  Offline

Sarasota FL
It is difficult to know if you dont give it a try. Mine are no problem and get along well and bites are minimal and always my fault for either not paying attention or getting in the way. We are all pretty much in a routine and happy with it. I always think that is the secret - my birds have a full varied life with lots going on - inside and outside cages and lots to see outside. You are used to your pets so adding another will be an adjustment for everyone but give it time and you will all settle in together.
dm

#67511 - 12/26/05 03:21 AM Re: Am I making the right decision?  
jrsygal37 Offline
jrsygal37  Offline

USA
Hi Robert. I think a lot depends on how your male was handled. If he was mishandled or not trained properly, then yes you may have your hands full. By nature Cockatoos are very gentle creatures, however with that said you will get bit by even the gentlest of Cockatoos. As you know birds, climb with their beaks and on many many occasions I've had my skin clipped accidently. And, the fact that it's an accident doesn't make it hurt any less. If you are used to a Gray though, I'm sure you'll be fine with a Cockatoo with regards to a possible bite. I'm prob. going to get slammed by Gray owners, by saying this; I just find that the Grays are very temperamental and nippy whereas the Cockatoos are reverse of this but again I know that depends on personality too. On another note; I've read and have been told as well by an experienced Avian Vet that the Males do give you a run for your money during breeding season. I think that is where most of the bites written about come from (During that time). It's really rare for a Cockatoo to just attack for no reason. I own a female and she is very sweet. Yes, I have gotten bitten but by shear accident. Almost all birds too will nip when they sense danger (new people etc.) this is done believe it or not to warn you. Usually they don't attack the person they are leary of but rather their owner/s. LOL. At any rate, think hard and long because they are a lot more work then Grays. They are much louder and much more dustier. Cockatoos, are loud by nature. A happy Cockatoo will display (Yell with their feathers up) in the morning for about 5 or 10 minutes and the same at night. They also will yell when they are playing. I remember the first time mine turned upside down with all her feathers out and yelling, I thought she was having a seizure. Ha ha. On an ending note; despite all the mess, the dust, and the noise I wouldn't part with her for any amount of money. I'm really happy that you went to a rescue for your Too. I have three Yorkies through rescue but for whatever reason didn't think to look into rescue for a Cockatoo. I made the mistake in buying her from a breeder. I'm not sorry, as I LOVE her, but I'm sorry in one way because I supported something that I'm against. Boo (My Too) was my 2oth Wedding Anniversary present. I did a lot, I mean a lot of research for years on the Cockatoo and have ALWAYS had a love for them. This stage in my life was a perfect time. I told hubby, that if he had pulled a Black Mercedes convertible into our driveway it wouldn't have meant as much to me as my Boo does. Anyway, the best of luck to you and Happy Holidays:) Elaine

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny