Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#66841 - 08/21/05 06:57 PM 'Toos with African Greys  
Brina's Dad Offline
Brina's Dad  Offline

San Diego, California
I have a four year old female Citron Cockatoo and am considering getting a companion for her and I. I have read that 'Toos can sometimes be aggressive to their mates and I don't want to breed, so I am considering an African Grey to eliminate those possibilities. My 'Too lives out of the cage on a perch (she does have a cage she perches and sleeps on, but it stays open and she has free run and is well behaved and contented, but does pick her feathers a bit. She had a bad time during puberty at around three years, but has since calmed down considerably and picks much, much less. This is another reason I have considered a companion. I will have about a months vacation where I can spend plenty of time with the new bird and my 'Too during an initial "indoctrination". Also, I have been overseas for a year and someone has been bird-sitting my 'Too. She has become bonded to the sitter and I suspect his absence and my return will be a stressor for the bird when I return, and thought the new companion bird might ease the situation for her some. Can anyone with similar experience give me any good advice (or dissuade me if this is a bad idea)? Thanks.

#66842 - 08/21/05 07:48 PM Re: 'Toos with African Greys  
Louie's_Mom Offline
Louie's_Mom  Offline

NC
I am really new at this, but here is my .02. If the citron has bonded to the sitter, and you are going to have to get her adjusted to that transition, and also to a new environment, I would think that another bird right now would just be more added stress. I may be wrong, but I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon.

#66843 - 08/21/05 09:38 PM Re: 'Toos with African Greys  
Brina's Dad Offline
Brina's Dad  Offline

San Diego, California
You're right about the added stress, but her environment will be the same. The sitter has been house-sitting as well, so my Brina has always been in her home environment - no moving. I plan on waiting a least a few weeks to reaccquaint with her before considering the new bird. I am aware of the initial stress factor and am looking for some long-term advice from perhaps someone who has both 'Toos and Greys. Thanks for your .02 though, I appreciate any and all advice.

#66844 - 08/21/05 09:51 PM Re: 'Toos with African Greys  
dm Offline
dm  Offline

Sarasota FL
I have 2 CAGs and a Red Lored Amazon and a medium SC2. I have to keep the SC2 separate at all times as he is very aggressive towards all the others. The CAGs and RLA get along fine with minor disagreements. They are all OK living in the same room but the SC2 has to be caged when the others are out in the room or vice versa. They will all play on the couch together with me there and they keep out of each others way - the SC2 usually sits on my lap and the others play around on the couch. I wouldnt trust him loose with them for a minute if I wasnt right there. However they are all company for each other which is a good thing so you could consider another bird but be prepared to house them separately. dm

#66845 - 08/21/05 10:28 PM Re: 'Toos with African Greys  
Johnnie Offline
Johnnie  Offline

NJ
I have to agree with dm it may work but it may not work also. I also have an CAG and 2 U2's , my one U2 and CAG get along great but not the other U2. It's just going to be trial and error for you but what ever you decide be careful and watch them.

Johnnie

#66846 - 08/22/05 04:37 PM Re: 'Toos with African Greys  
bubbles Offline
bubbles  Offline

england
I have 2 C2's, a U2, aM2, a GW macaw, an OWA and a CAG.
They all come out together supervised of course but I have very little trouble apart from the female C2 (only known female in my flock) she will if in a bad mood chase my U2 into his cage and bolt his door and once or twice she has grabed my GW by the tail..... not a good idea but we have never had any fights.
They are out for at least 6 hours a day and I have never had any problems when introducing a new bird, but that is only my experience. smile

#66847 - 08/22/05 08:50 PM Re: 'Toos with African Greys  
sammy,mickey Offline
sammy,mickey  Offline

Phoenix, Az
Brinas Dad
Don't forget to ADOPT and not buy.

#66848 - 10/09/05 03:04 AM Re: 'Toos with African Greys  
nettieblo Offline
nettieblo  Offline

my opinion...i would take time to get reaquainted with my too before even considering another bird...period...are you expecting this bird to help occupy your too or to help with the hormaonal issues of your too? i am not sure but the stress of having to get used to even you again would be enough if i were this bird and to add on the stress of having to get to know another bird in such a short period of time...like with any animal hierarchy...the too may feel threatened or as if it might be in danger of being replaced...love her and get to know her all over again...time really makes a difference...in both ways!!!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny