Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64650 - 10/05/04 08:25 PM *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
Cindy Q Offline
Cindy Q  Offline

North Carolina
I just came back from RI and while I was there with a group of friends we went to visit some of their family. While we were there visiting and eating dinner I heard some chirping behind a closed door. I whistled back and forth with the mysterious birds for awhile before asking our hosts about them. They seemed reluncatant to let me see them but eventaully took me to them. They were a timneh african grey and cherry headed conure and they were in the basement. There cages were too small with an entirely seed sunflower mix diet, their cages were filthy and both of the birds had injuries. They conures leg was broken, it looked like an old injury that had healed incorrectly but the tag had 1 eye that was completely protruding from his head he was slightly plucked as well. I can't even describe it... Needless to say I was stunned. You hear about these sad storied all the time but i'd never witnessed anything like it. They rushed to tell me, maybe because of the incredulous look on my face that the grey had been taken to the vet and they had spent a fortune of 400 dollars to fix him but nothing worked. They didn't mention the conures injury, I don't know if they even knew he was injured. They left me in the basement with the birds and I just sat there and talked to them for a bit. I didn't know what to say to these people. I had just met them and the friends I was with would not understand what the problem was... They asked me what types of birds I had and I told them and then proceeded to tell them as non confrontationally as possible how expensive i've noticed it is to care for birds properly and what diet I have mine on as well as the set up mine are in and how each year I take all 4 of mine in for check ups that never cost me less then 200 each! and thats when nothing is wrong with them. They seemed uncomfortable with the conversation and they changed the topic. I would like to help those birds....I don't know what I could do though. I think they are ashamed of the condition they are in and thats the only reason they keep them along with the fact that they probably couldn't make any money off of them. So I think they think its easier to keep them down there and continue on as usual. If I had had more time to think it through I may've offered to take them off of their hands but the condition they are in worries me and I would be afraid to expose my birds to them. I would like to tell them about a rescue in their area though if nothing else. They were located in RI near Newport, so if anyone knows of a rescue in that genearl area I could refer them to i'd appreciate it. I might try ad see if they are interested in rehoming them as well. Maybe I could take them in and try to find them a home. Its hard though because under normal circumstances I may've never seen these people again and they may not feel comfortable talking to me about any of this. Anyways if anyone has any advice i'd appreciate it.

#64651 - 10/05/04 08:38 PM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
There are 2 listed here ... and you may want to check the surrounding states. http://www.avianprotectors.homestead.com/Rescue.html

#64652 - 10/06/04 07:38 PM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
Lrex Offline
Lives Here
Lrex  Offline
Lives Here

B.C. Canada
Cindy:
How incredibly heart breaking that must have been for you. I really hope you can find a way to help them.

#64653 - 10/06/04 08:42 PM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh Cindy how hard that must have been for you. I am in a similar situation with the bird that is in the home of my coworker here. I have gotten nowhere at this point. They are now not even taking the toys or bird bread that I have made for him. It breaks my heart, but I have to walk away. Maybe I can try again in a few weeks. I will be thinking of these birds. Good luck suggesting the rescue. I hope it works. Please keep us updated.

#64654 - 10/06/04 08:58 PM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
brody Offline
Lives Here
brody  Offline
Lives Here

Personally I'd consider reporting them to the SPCA as well. POor poor birds and poor you- it is terrible what people hide behind closed doors.

brody

#64655 - 10/06/04 10:09 PM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
Cindy Q Offline
Cindy Q  Offline

North Carolina
I really am trying to approach this delicately so that doesn't happen with these birds Beverly. In your co-workers case the bird doesn't seem to be in any real danger but with these birds I honestly fear for their safety not because they are physically abused although honestly I think even that is possible but because of the condition they are in with their injuries and the fact they aren't receiving proper veterinary care in addition to the fact that their cages are probably aggravating their injuries I really don't want them to become annoyed and tune me out.
Brody I have considered the spca and will use it as a last resort. The friends I was with are actually more then friends they are my sister in laws on my hubbys side and these people are one of their aunt and uncle so this would truly create a rift in my family if I didn't try to handle it peaceably first. So even though they are not really my family or even close to me, I don't want to go there with this but I will after i've tried everything else first. I'm even going to offer driving up there to pick them up and they are 12 hours away!
I've talked to my sister in law today and found out that they acquired the conure only a few months ago and that the grey while never cared for better was at least not injured the last time they visited a few months ago.
Right now my plan is to point them in the direction of 4 rescues I found nearby and to even offer to take them in myself if that would make them more comfortable and more agreeable. I don't need any more birds and don't plan to keep them but at this point I just feel like they need to get out of there.
Anyways thanks all for the support and an extra thanks to you m2mom for the link to the rescues- it was very helpful, I appreciate it.
Cindy Q

#64656 - 10/06/04 10:22 PM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
Oh, Cindy, I bet this gives you nightmares! I hope you can do something. Best of luck.

#64657 - 10/07/04 12:14 AM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
ProjectPerry Offline
ProjectPerry  Offline

Manchester NH
Let me know if you need help, I am close enough to RI. And if the large rescues in the area can't take them, and their lives appear to be threatened, I may be able to take them in and get them veterinary care.
-Matt-

#64658 - 10/07/04 12:21 AM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
angeleyes Offline
angeleyes  Offline

RI
hi

I am in RI Harleys Haven rescue/sanctuary If you need help let me know. WE are remodeling the downstairs for a room just for the birds But i have a whole upstairs with no birds so i can quartine them there.

I am in warwick RI which is not far from Cranston ( I think that is where you said they are)

you can e-mail at Leica10@cox.net if I can be of any assistance to you.

Lisa

#64659 - 10/07/04 12:29 AM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
Cindy Q Offline
Cindy Q  Offline

North Carolina
Wow, thanks so much. I don't actually know where they were located, I was a passenger that wasn't paying attention, but I do know that we were in Warwick and they were nearby. I will find out more info to share this weekend.
Cindy

#64660 - 10/20/04 02:35 AM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
ProjectPerry Offline
ProjectPerry  Offline

Manchester NH
any update with this?

#64661 - 10/20/04 05:23 AM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
Jeannie4 Offline
Jeannie4  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Hi Cindy,
I feel really bad that you had to see that and even worse for those 2 poor birds.

You are right on track as far as I'm concerned. You are trying to handle it the right way. That said; I would move quickly on it if you can. You may be the only salvation for those birds. I think it's wonderful that you are going to drive the 12 hours to get them if you have to. It's understandable you can't take them, but I see by other people's post that there are available rescues.

You've talked to the owners. You've educated and hopefully they will realize the work, money, etc that should go into the birds. They may know by now that the birds will be better off somewhere else. With some birds that I have taken from homes, the relief is so evident in the people's faces......(or is that the guilt being relieved ?)

Almost 6 or 7 years ago I went to see a Moluccan that was advertised in the paper. The conditions were beyond describing. They hit the bird in front of my husband and I. We knew nothing about birds. We did take action but never found out what happened to the bird. By the time the SPCA got there; the bird was gone. It was a situation that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

I've been in other homes where I've seen similar to you and acted like you seem to be doing and with good results. We got the birds out. It's difficult but if I can say anything it would be just to encourage you to follow your heart and act.

Will you keep us posted on those 2 little guys ?
Good Luck and God Bless,
Jeannie

#64662 - 10/30/04 08:05 AM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
Cindy Q Offline
Cindy Q  Offline

North Carolina
*Update on RI birds*. I spoke to the owners the other day, they called me to let me know the results of the Tag's vet visit. It turns out she has cancer in her eye and they had to remove it. They are doing a biopsy on the eye and the surrounding area to see if the cancer spread and they are awaiting the results. They didn't take the conure (Peter)yet but I am glad at least that the tag has been seen, her (Gracie's her name it turns out)eye was really bad.

On a side note, a little venting if you guys don't mind. I swear it is almost painful to talk to that guy! He really and truly grates on my nerves, its hard to hold my tongue when I talk to him. He just doesn't get "it", he thinks i'm some bird fanatic that has unrealistic expectations and that the care I provide for my birds is reserved for other bird crazies like myself. I was not suggesting or pushing for anything out of the ordinary. When I spoke to him I focused on vet care and bringing them up from the basement. I did send links to places where they could find cheap cages and toys and mentioned that their diet should also be discussed with the vet since right now they are eating exclusively sunflower seeds. I didn't criticize their diet or how filthy the cage was, I tried very hard to not appear fanatical and judgemantal, I didn't want to lose them or chase them away. I thought i'd be more effective if they kept me in the picture and with all the tongue biting I did he still called me unrealistic and anal! Grrrrr... mad

I am glad that they have made some changes, I can only hope the vet I referred them to recommended a larger cage and a better diet. I am hopeful they continue to make even more changes.
Thanks for letting me vent guys :rolleyes: and keep these 2 birds in your thoughts.
Cindy Q

#64663 - 10/30/04 01:55 PM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
wildirish Offline
Lives Here
wildirish  Offline
Lives Here

NC
It sounds like you did the very best you possibly could, under those circumstances. Some people will never understand, but at least you tried and got some part of it changed.

People (some friends and family included) think I am one of those "bird crazies". I have been told that I spend way too time and money on them. I feel like these guys here have had enough neglect and so I try to do all that I can, the ironic thing is that I feel I still don't do enough for them....LOL!!!

Hopefully one day things will change and people will understand the special needs of these very intelligent creatures and give them thier dues.

You did good!!!!!

Tammy

#64664 - 11/01/04 06:43 PM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cindy Q,

Do not feel bad. You did your very best and it did get results. I too am in a similar situation with the Conure "Fred", owned by my co-worker. They keep saying they need a new home for him and just want to give him to me (I have offered to purchase his cage, supplies, etc), so he will have a good home, but everyday it is another excuse. "Oh I am so busy", "I too tired to bring him in", etc etc etc. Than the other day when I asked "How is Fred?", I got the response "Who, oh the bird". It can be very frustrating. I overheard my coworker telling another coworker that I was "bird freak" and "how weird is that". You are so right, some people just do not get it. I am backing down and hoping that they will approach me in the near future. I am sick over this, and so worried about Fred, but I just do not know what else I can do. Lets all just hope that Fred is ok and not injured or worse has died. With this family, who knows shocked

#64665 - 11/02/04 02:27 AM Re: *UPDATE* Bird rescue in RI?  
Ladyhawk Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhawk  Offline
Lives Here

California
CindyQ - perhaps you can tell the vet about the circumstances/living conditions of the birds. He can emphasize that cleanliness is a must, especially after surgery. I wonder if there's a relationship btwn the sunflower seed diet and the cancer. There certainly is a relationship btwn high fat diets and cancer in humans.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny