Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#64636 - 09/22/04 01:56 PM Re: "rescue" from pet store?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

LKW -

You didn't start anything. This is an ongoing discussion that flares up here every so often. I commend you for taking a step back and looking at the big picture. I know how difficult it is to walk past these poor birds, which is why I don't go into petstores anymore.

I wish you the best of luck.

#64637 - 09/22/04 04:44 PM Re: "rescue" from pet store?  
jewel Offline
jewel  Offline

new jersey
Boy this sure is a nasty cylce isn't it

however the facts are rather clear.. "purchasing" said bird and or animal from this place and the likes of.. is REWARDING them and they will replace that bird with anouther .. no matter how we try to justify and make excuses for making that purchase .. and it is a purchase not a rescue..

the sooner the cycle stops the sooner the mass bird breeding will subside.

sounds cold but we have to be otherwise they win

jewel

#64638 - 09/22/04 08:08 PM Re: "rescue" from pet store?  
Beaks & Wings Parrot Rescue Offline
Beaks & Wings Parrot Rescue  Offline

Weatherford Texas
No matter how you put it if you don't buy the bird it will NOT stop petstores from selling others just like that one.

The only thing that will stop it are laws which will never get changed unless people get out there and hammer the people in charge of changing those laws.

If the bird is suffering needlessly i say by all means get the bird if that is what you want then take the bird to a vet, take pictures before (while still in the petshop) and after you provide the correct enviornment in your home so the judge can have something to compare.

Then take everything (including the vet report) down and press charges on the owner of the pet store for neglect and abuse.

It's just that simple because when pet stores have to start paying fines they will start to re-think their position on selling birds.

If a bird costs more money in fines than can be made for its sale they will either take better care of their birds or stop selling.

John

#64639 - 09/22/04 09:18 PM Re: "rescue" from pet store?  
jewel Offline
jewel  Offline

new jersey
john with all due respect

if a store like the above mentioned no longer sells birds/animals due to the fact that the consumer is not supporting them.. then they will stop the sale of said animals..

as for laws .. the beauty of living in a free country is that .. there are to many " freedoms " etc ( to long winded to get into) that WILL NEVER prohibit the sale of animals ..
and said companies are protected by guarentees and or lack of.

how many people purchase a bird with a 72 hour guarentee ?? 1500.00 animal with a 72 hr guarentee. thats poor judgement and just stupid or no research.

time for the consumer to take responsibility ALSO

to say that it does not make a difference if you buy that poor animal .. is the wrong message to put out there ..

jewel

#64640 - 09/22/04 09:49 PM Re: "rescue" from pet store?  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
LKW, I do understand how you feel, and if you do end up buying that bird, please do not be afraid to stay here and keep talking.
It is so awful to be preyed upon like we are by pet stores. My heart is pounding in my chest and there's nothing I can do right here, right now. I hate how this seems never to end- I do hate this cycle with every ounce of my being. Try to be strong, consider that even the "meanies" that are in petstores are that way through no fault of their own and are no less deserving of being "rescued", and the selection of one over another is still pretty damning to the "other" bird. I don't know what to do. I could stand here, blood rushing to my face, pulling out my hair, steaming, until I explode. I feel like the movement to help birds is so fractured, I have no real outlet for my energies. I seize every single moment and chance I get to act out personally. I fight hard. I have also tried to steal birds from pet stores. I was almost caught, but what I did was say that I forgot the bird was on my shoulder (wings were clipped). It really sucks. I feel like if I try to communicate what people need to understand in order to change things, I come across as overly emotional, and yet this is an issue based at least partially on emotion. I feel like I get painted as "radical" so that what I have to say is devalued. And I hate that when I get angry, I start crying and look like a fool. It makes my anger lose whatever power it might have had. It's just so depressing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny