Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 61 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62374 - 08/20/02 09:32 PM finally ready for baby!!!  
New2toos Offline
New2toos  Offline

Crestline, Ca
Hi all,
I'm new to this BB, and toos of course.
I'm sure I, like many teenage girls, fell in love with "Fred" on "Baretta". I've always wanted a too, but I knew I was not able to provide the home it would've required. I was in the military for awhile. Could you imagine leaving your bird in quarantine for a year?...NOT.

Well anyways for the last year I've been looking for my baby bird... actually now I'm looking for a teenager. I have read all the info at "mytoos" and followed the links into oblivion. After reaing all the rescue stories I think that is the way to go. I really don't want to add to the supply and demand for hand fed babies.
I have a problem though. I'm too far out of Los Angeles to qualify due to the home visits. I have looked all over So Cal and I don't seem to fit into anyone's area. If anyone knows of a rescue/adoption agency in the Inland Empire could you share the info with me? I plan to go to the show in Pomona this weekend...maybe I'll find a teenager that needs a good home there.

I have had the opportunity to purchase several hand fed babies, but they were all unweaned. As a nurse I could only guess at the implications that could arise out of that situation. When I read the stories of all the complications I wasn't surprised. I have also found a few weaned, but I'm glad I found this site before I did that. I was fighting back tears as I saw the photos and read the stories. My God how absolutely disgusting what some folks have done to these gorgeous animals.

My husband's boss had a BBQ this weekend. At the party I was talking to him and his wife they have a 12 yo U2. The husband has been bit to the point of stitches twice in the last 2 years. He won't do any care with the bird anymore. I tried to talk them out of it and am still working on them. I was surprised how little they know about the bird. I asked if they took notes of the dates, is the bird a male or female, if it's been doing the hormone rage thing I've heard of, was his wife menstrating? I coudn't believe that in the miniscule reading and studying I've done that I had more behavioral knowledge than they did about cockatoos. I couldn't even imagine having a 12 yo child in my house and not knowing if it was a boy or a girl.

Well anyways after 5 kids, I don't even now how many dogs (2 chow chows now) 4 budgies (2 now), 1 cockatiel (now), an endless number of cats (4 now) being a medic and an RN I think I finally know enough about caregiving to pull this off.

So wish me luck finding "baby". I will be a frequent visitor trying to gleen as much info as I can learn from you folks. I've done alot of book reading...now it's time to really learn.

Thanks
Alcina

P.S. Jerry thanks for the site...I've learned alot and still feel like I'm qualified..LOL

#62375 - 08/20/02 10:08 PM Re: finally ready for baby!!!  
SonyaK Offline
SonyaK  Offline

IL
Alcina,

We sound so much alike...you are a nurse and I am a nursing student. We have 3 (soon to be 4) birds...2 Jenday Conures, 1 Congo African Grey and now we're getting a baby Umbrella next month....hence my participation on this website!!

We do not live in southern California but instead...Bakersfield.....and we are familiar with many of the breeders in the area so if you are looking for an adult...what type of cockatoo? I will keep my eyes and ears open for one for you.

Wishing you luck in your quest for an adult bird to adopt...

Sonya

See our flock at www.5beaks.blogspot.com
#62376 - 08/21/02 05:37 AM Re: finally ready for baby!!!  
New2toos Offline
New2toos  Offline

Crestline, Ca
Hi Sonya,
So you're in nursing school..yuck I remember those days WAY too well. Nursing diagnses..SUCK. I hid in the recovery room for the 5 years just to keep the paperwork to a minimum..LOL.
I don't want to talk too much nursey stuff on this BB so do feel free to email me anytime. I was a tutor for lots of nursing students. If you need any help just ask...I'd be glad to help. I've been in the medical field for over 20 years.

I'm looking for an Umbrella cockatoo, although I love the Moluccans too. I haven't owned a large parrot before, but I'm looking at this that I will only ever own one anyways. I figure I'll have one bird and will end up passing "too baby" on to one of my children after I die. I think you're the one who wrote she was going to Pomona this Sun..? am I right? If I am, thanks for the info me and a girlfriend are going on Sat.
I don't plan on picking a bird there, but will definetly be looking and making some contacts. I found a rescue group in San Diego "PEAC" they require courses on avian care before you can adopt. I can't adopt from there..too far away, but I plan to join and take their courses anyways. Typical nurse WAY over studying, but I figure I can never know TOO much. I'd also like to join a parrot or specifically a cockatoo club, nothing like meeting friends with the same passions.

Well if you hear of anyone hunting for a family in my area let me know. Do you already have your baby picked out? I'm really trying not to get a baby, but an older bird who needs some lovin'. It's too easy for me to just plunk down the cash on a spur...I really want to SAVE one. (
I'm such a nurse LOL)

Well take care honey
Alcina

#62377 - 08/21/02 06:00 PM Re: finally ready for baby!!!  
SonyaK Offline
SonyaK  Offline

IL
Alcina (and everyone),

If you are looking to adopt a parrot, a good resource I have found on the web would be http://www.avianwelfare.org/links/organizations.htm

This is the Avian Welfare Resource Center from the Avian Welfare Coalition. I hope this helps those that are looking. When I was surfing the web, I found a terrific rescue organization called www.fosterparrots.com ...but they're in Massachusetts, I believe!

At any rate, this should help you on your quest to rescue a cockatoo.

To answer your question, we are buying a baby umbrella. Too see pictures, go to www.kuykendall.homestead.com and click on the "our parrots" link.

As far as nursing school goes, yes, I'll definitely keep that chat to a minimum here! As an older student in the program, I am doing very well; was a paramedic beforehand. I think nursing diagnoses are just busywork...and if you can walk the walk and talk the talk with them, you're doing well. I start my junior year this year in a baccalaureate program.

I hope everyone's birds are in good health and hands....and we can't wait to bring our little girl home next month!!! We are wavering between naming her Bella or Gypsy...maybe if you see the pictures on our website, you guys can tell me!! I'd definitely appreciate the input.

Sonya

See our flock at www.5beaks.blogspot.com
#62378 - 08/23/02 10:40 PM Re: finally ready for baby!!!  
june Offline
june  Offline

wales england
Hi its great that you are considering rescuing a bird to become your baby, I have done it ten times so far :rolleyes: There are so many birds that need our help out there and I belive the reason for this is because they were never meant to be anything but free, On saying that we all have our parrots becauce we love having them, and for us to beable to have what we want they car'nt be free.You are doing the right thing by finding out all you can before you take on the life time conmitment of a feathered baby, But please understand there is a big down side to taking on a rescued baby to start with he/she is likly to come with a number of the problems you have read about on this site.You will know you have rescued your new bird but he/she won't, and you may well have to take the blame (from the bird ) for all the pain and sadness your bird has already gone though and it can take months even years sometimes never before things start to go right.
If you can go into this ready to take on whatever your new bird throws at you and love him/her and never give up, then the rewards are great,.
I am sat here now with my African gray who hated the world and everyone in it (including himself )and now after so long he is sat within a foot of me relaxed without growling, and its like winning the lottery, laugh So good luck I hope that one day you will be feeling as happy as i am when your new baby comes and sits by you.

#62379 - 08/24/02 07:48 AM Re: finally ready for baby!!!  
Maluka Offline
Maluka  Offline

Southern California
Hi and welcome the board. I am also a nursing student working on my RN. What fun!!! I have 2 more years to go. I also reside in Southern California. I am about 3 hours from LA. I know of a bird that really needs a good home. I know he is at least 15 years old, his name is Alex. Sadly, the owner wants $1400.00 for him. He is desperalty in need of a good home that can give him lots of love and attention. He plucks his feathers on his legs all the way up to his thighs. I could actually go on and on, but I don't know if your up to this type of a challenge especially being that you are new to cockatoo ownership. If it's anything you might be interested in please feel free to e-mail me. My e-mail address is posted on my profile. But just in case you can't get to it the address is shadow1273@yahoo.com Just a thought!!

#62380 - 08/26/02 02:05 AM Re: finally ready for baby!!!  
New2toos Offline
New2toos  Offline

Crestline, Ca
Hi June and Maluka,

Thanks for the response. I still haven't found "Baby". I'm thinking about taking a part-time job at a bird farm near my house. I think it would kind of be like an OJT on raising and caring for birds. They have soooo many birds it's amazing.

I know this is going to sound strange, so bear with me. At first I thought it was odd and then denied it was happening for alot of years. Animals are attracted to me. It's really weird, but it's also very true. If I go to the zoo, a bird farm or animal shelters. Animals radiate toward me. I've walked by cages and had them come over right up to me. I've had bears, panthers, monkeys, birds, elephants, wild sheep and deer "talk" to me. My husband noticed it on our first trip to the zoo. I think he thought it was really odd and the fact that it's happened all my life I really don't even notice much anymore.
This weekend we went camping and a jack rabbit ran out of our site as we pulled up. It had been trying to get water out of the spigot. So I got out of the car and started talking to it. It sat over the edge of a berm and watched me. I got a bowl out went to the spigot and filled it. I walked slowly toward the berm and put down the water bowl and then backed away talking to the bunny the whole while. As soon as I got back to the car, about 15 feet from the bunny he smelled the water and came over the berm to drink.

I'm not sure if it's my voice or my scent, but I've noticed it happens most of the time. At the bird farm. I've seen parrots trying to look out at me when I'm walking down the aisle towards them. Then when I get near them I notice their pupils are dilated.

It doesn't happen with every animal I've ever been near, but a good 80-90% of them respond very comfortably to me. That's the only reason I would even consider taking an abused or neglected bird. I know right away if an animal likes me or not. The larger birds I've been around get almost cuddly usually to the amazemant of their owners. The are usually quite content to stay with me.

Actually come to think of it human babies respond to me too. They always look at me. I guess I have some "earth mother scent" thing going on.

Just some weirdness I thought I'd share. If anybody knows where "baby" is.. please let me know. I stil haven't found a rescue group in my area...any suggestions? I've already read the Avian welfare site..no luck there.

Well have a great day
Alcina

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny