Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 43 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62365 - 08/12/02 05:12 AM new to the web, but want to know more about adoption  
lauri Offline
lauri  Offline

Sacramento, CA
Hi! I am all new to this. I am looking for a M2,but I am not sure what would be better to do, buy or adopt. I am diabled and have some trouble getting around, but I know I can care for a M2. I have lots of time and I am always home. They are such a beautiful bird. Some of my friends said to get a baby but I am wondering if adopting would be better beings there are so many being abused or neglected. Any respnse willbe helpful. Thanks, Lauri

#62366 - 08/13/02 02:10 AM Re: new to the web, but want to know more about adoption  
happybirds Offline
Lives Here
happybirds  Offline
Lives Here

Lauri - I always recommend adoption versus purchasing a baby because there are so many birds out there who need homes. There are so many neglected, abused, disabled, rejected, depressed wonderful birds who just need another chance. Buying a baby only contributes to the further breeding of these birds which only adds to the growing population of unwanted birds.

You mentioned that you were disabled, but did not say what you disability is. Before adopting of purchasing a M2, be certain your disability will not prevent you from being able to react in an emergency situation, or from being able to remove the bird from you should it decide to bite, act our, or become agressive - do not be decieved into thinking that just because they are velcro birds, that this is all there is to an M2. Some of the worst bites I have heard of are from Cockatoos. I have been bitten several times myself, luckily, never on the face - but quite close - and have had to remove the bird from me very quickly or I would have been bitten again. My birds will sit with me for hours and hours but if something startles or frightens them, it only takes 1 second for me to be hurt.

Give this lots of thought. They are wonderful and magnificent birds, but they are to say the very least, a handful. They are the equivolent of a 2 year old child, who will remain2 y/o forever.

#62367 - 08/13/02 03:47 AM Re: new to the web, but want to know more about adoption  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Adoption is the best way to bring a bird into your life. Don't let anyone tell you that you must have a bird from a baby in order for it to bond with you. That simply is not true.

Your best bet is to find a rescue in your area that you can spend time at. Then interact with the birds on a regular basis. Wait for one of the birds to chose you.

The rescue will be able to give you an idea of what it takes to care for a bird.

Also don't go in with any preconceived ideas about the type of bird you want. Be open to them all and you will find a companion to share your life with.

#62368 - 08/13/02 03:47 AM Re: new to the web, but want to know more about adoption  
Maluka Offline
Maluka  Offline

Southern California
I totally agree with what happybirds stated about the M2. They are velcro birds, and they do give out lots of love. But they require LOTS of love, attention, toys, and a healthy diet in return. They are known to scream when they feel like, sometimes for what seems like all day long. They have their days just like a child. At times I have considered ear plugs, just for those very RARE days when he drives me absolutly crazy. My M2 is the love of my life. He is like my child and will forever be with me. But I have bitten by him too. It's absolutly inevitable that you WILL get bit. And it does hurt!!! ALOT. It's their nature. You may not get bitten for months and then all of a sudden WHAMO!!!! Then you wonder what went wrong. Just be prepared. Don't get angry at the bird if this happens. Disipline him in love. I tell my bird that a sharp "no" and let him know that was bad. I give him a time out in his cage until he calms down. As for adoption or buying if you choose to get one. Please adopt!!! There are so many neglected, abused, loving birds that need a good home. Give them a life they can only hope for. A good home!!! It's not thier fault they have been crammed in cages, neglected or abused. By buying a baby it does only contribute to the breeding process. This must be stopped. There are too many birds out there already that hurting, lonely, and confused. Cockatoo's have strong emotional feelings. They get attached to thier owners. If you choose to get one, make a commitment to yourself and to this bird that you are in it till death do you part no matter what. If you have questions please let the members on this board know. We will do what we can to help you. Good luck

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny