Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62360 - 08/06/02 10:14 PM new g2 and adjustment  
ronda Offline
ronda  Offline

ithaca
Hi, I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about helping my new Goffin(Godfrey) adjust to his new home. He's about 13 years old and this will be his third home. I brought him home about 1 1/2 weeks ago. In his previous home he had been somewhat neglected and hadn't been coming out of his cage in a long time. He'd been delegated to a spare bedroom with the door closed because of his noise level. By the way he's been extremely quiet so far. I'm hoping to bring him back around and have him be a social, happy companion.
So far this is how it's gone... The first two days he was quite social and affectionate. He's eating well both seed & pellet but won't touch the fresh vegetables or fruits. He was eating this in the past. Knows the up command but won't do this unless we are stating from the floor. Then he'll only stay for a few seconds and then takes a small flight away. I'll open the cage several times a day. Morning, lunchhour and several hours in the evening. He's in the living room and I also have a cockatiel in the same room. Sometimes he comes out and other times not. He needs his wings and nails cut, but I'm not sure when to get this done because I don't want to stress him out and he already seems somewhat stressed. I've read else that the first couple of weeks is critical with an older bird and so I don't want to force him but I also don't want to make any crucial mistakes. Any suggestions are appreciatied.

#62361 - 08/06/02 10:29 PM Re: new g2 and adjustment  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
Goffins' are my favorite. Mine is so lovey. I think yours just needs time to get used to his new home. The M2 got from her 5th home in March is finally adjusting to us and her home. She is really getting to be a sweetie. It just takes lots of time and patience. Thanks to the people on this board it was alot easier to get through it. What we did with her is just treated her like we treated everybody else. We didn't give alot of special treatment and she got time out for being naughty just like everyone else. I love her so much now that I can't imagine what life was like without her. Good luck!!

#62362 - 08/08/02 12:36 AM Re: new g2 and adjustment  
rosie Offline
rosie  Offline

michigan
Goffins are also my favorite(I have 3) because of their zest for life and how they can always make you laugh.Your baby will get up on your hand from the floor because he is scared and he is already trusting of people.Really, he should have been quarantined from your cockatiel for a month to be on the safe side so that the 'tiel wouldn't pick up any sickness from him. But, since he's already there now, I will pray that he is healthy.Because he flies as soon as you get him up a little higher from the floor, He needs to play what I call"getting to know you" Take him out of the room you have his cage in(make sure you have a t-stand set up in the room you're taking him to)Put him on the t-stand, put your hand to him and give him the up command. When he steps up, tell him what a lovey he is and praise him.MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF IT. Then, put him back on the stand and repeat the process. If you can pet him, also give him alot of pets. Only work him 10 or 15 minutes at the most.Then, take him back home praising and loving him all the way. Anytime you want to train him to do anything you always want to take him away from the security of his cage so he will rely on you. As for his fruits and veggies you are probably not cutting them the way they were cut before or their not in the same dish or he has a little attitudey about changing homes. Just keep putting them in in bite size pieces with corn-on-the-cob on top(one of Goffins favs) and eventually he will start to eat them. You may also try to see if he will take it from your hand and eat it. Try to get him on a regular schedule(uncovered the same time every morning,cage cleaned and fresh food same time every day,out time at the same time as well as bed time.)If he is not a biter,when you open the the cage door,present your hand and tell him up. If he doesn't get up,close the door and try again every 15 minutes or so until he gets the idea that that is the only way he's coming out.You want him to know that you are flock leader and that you love him.Good luck and I know you will do fine.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny