Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62356 - 08/01/02 05:25 PM Looking to adopt another Cockatoo  
Ardis Offline
Ardis  Offline

New Jersey
I have two Cockatoos a Lesser and an Eleanora Cockatoo. I adopted both of these birds. My first one (Maui) was severely abused and when I got him, prior to my encountering him he was apparently trying to escape from some percieved danger and flew into a ceiling fan and slit open his head. I adopted him by just paying the vet bill. As a result he is unlike any cockatoo. He is extremely quiet, unless he wants food and even then what he does is make cooing sounds. Once in a blue moon he will display a calling (screaming) behavior at sundown. That has happened maybe three times in the past ten years I have had him.

My second cockatoo is my sweetheart, Kiki she was in two homes prior to being adopted by me. Her first home was with an elderly gentlemen and thats all I know about that. While she was still very young she was resold from the pet shop to a woman who had her in a regular pet shop. She was on display and ignored. She was deemed dangerous to customers so she was again sent back to the pet shop. When I visited the shop to purchase some items, I saw her and thought she was beautiful even though she had been feather picking her breast feathers. The owner of the store said to be careful because she was vicious. I offered her my hand... she stepped up and we bonded instantly. She is the Princess of the house she is loving and extremely affectionate. She has recovered from feather picking and is in beautiful feather. I have never seen the so called vicious side of her.

Maui never permitted anyone to touch him other than myself and since Kiki's arrival has become rather friendly, even taking offerings from my hand that he would never do before.

I would like to adopt another Cockatoo, ideally I would like a salmon crested moluccan, in or out of feather does not matter to me. I know the joy and headache of these birds and have had success in my handling them. I read where you wrote that there were so many cockatoos abandoned and I cannot see why it is so hard to adopt birds. In my immediate area Central New Jersey there are no adoption places. So I would like to know how I can go about adopting another bird that needs a home when restrictions are so high.

I can't afford to buy a bird, and since adopting my two birds I feel better giving one a home rather than buying a baby. Is there help anyone can offer me?

#62357 - 08/01/02 07:03 PM Re: Looking to adopt another Cockatoo  
Catherine Offline
Catherine  Offline

MN
I cant help you get a bird in your area butI can tell you why the restrictions are so high. You see birds live so long compaird to other pets. Most often the out live an owner or even 2. Because birds ar eso sensitive to there environment and the people in it when you adopt a bird they would like to make sure it is a forever home. Til death do you part.

#62358 - 09/08/02 10:31 PM Re: Looking to adopt another Cockatoo  
traci Offline
traci  Offline

Indiana
if you really want to try to take on a second hand molluccan don't expect it to be easy.First of all no one will give you one.Chances are,no matter how sick of the creature they are,they won't part with it for less than at least $700. because they paid over 1,500.00.They would rather see it suffer than lose a little money.
I got my Molluccan second hand and he is a prince among birds. That doesn't mean he hasn't ever bit anyone or been less than charming.We are just willing to put up with that sort of thing.We have all sustained bites.We are very lucky they weren't much worse.
Another thing you should take into consideration is that whatever cage they give you with the bird will be inadequate. There isn't a cage big enouugh to suit a Molluccan. The cage I have was 500.00 and is to small to be more than a place to sleep or to just stick him in for a few hours while attend to things out of his presence.Left alone he can eat an entertainment center in short order.
Basically,He is a toddler with a woodchipper for a mouth and I have to make him as much a part of my life as I have my children.
I can only say if you want a molluccan please adopt one and don't encourage the breeding of anymore of these birds as they are unsuitable as pets.

#62359 - 09/09/02 03:57 AM Re: Looking to adopt another Cockatoo  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I went to www.google.com and typed in New Jersey parrot rescues and got several hits back. Try this search engine, it's fairly good.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny