Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 35 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62307 - 05/10/02 08:00 AM Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
Diana Offline
Diana  Offline

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just yesterday, Kurtis and I moved Gandhi's cage to a better location where she could look out the sunny window and socialize with people more. She was so happy. Yesterday, I thought that she would soon be coming to me as my forever M2.

I went over to visit her again today, and she hanging off her cage calling to me. I spent about two hours playing with her, and attending to her needs. I had let her out to play and an suddenly things went wrong. She started having seizures, but would briefly regain herself. When they were over, she was not walking properly, her left leg was not working, and she started clucking and begging like a little chick. I hugged her and comforted her, while Kurtis and I had no choice to discuss the enevitable.

At five this evening we brought her to the emergency clinic, since there was no available avian vet anywhere. We had her euthanized to finally end her life time of suffering. Gandhi was beaten down by her previous owners. Both her wings had been broken, as well as her tail. The worst of all her spirit was crushed, and her health seemed to never totally improve. Druh, whom is in the hospital and still does not know what happened, spent countless hours and weeks trying to nurse Gandhi back to health. She always insisted that Gandhi was meant to be mine some day. Now I have no idea of what to tell her.

I think all the SOBs that abuse these birds should have the balls to take their birds to be euthanized. Birds are euthanized differently then other animals, and more then often do not go peacefully when death starts to come. I do not want to upset people, so I will not go into detail as to what Kurtis and I observed in total horror today. We wanted to help ease her suffering forever, and now her last moments will forever haunt me.

Gandhi was a sweet loving little girl, that only wanted love and understanding. Her last months of life, she got all of those things. I was so happy earlier today , because she never once said how screwed up she was, or that she was stupid. I honestly thought that her barriers were finally broken and she would finally find what she longed for the most. Now she is gone, and going to volunteer will never be the same again.

I hope there is a very special place in hell for the people that did this to her. They have no idea of the pain that some people are feeling, and probably would not even care. I hope that someday they have to answer to the terrible things they did to this sweet little M2.

Please say a little prayer for Gandhi today today, to help her soul find it's way to a better place.

"I love you Gandhi, you are a smart girl, smarter then all the others".

#62308 - 05/10/02 01:53 PM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
That is so sad. I am so sorry for you, Gandhi, Kurtis and Druh. I wish you strength when telling Druh.

Was the seizure due to epilepsy or the symptom of something more serious?

#62309 - 05/10/02 04:18 PM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Ohhh Diana. My heart goes out to you, what a sad heartbreaking story. I am so sorry. Words just fail me. But I offer my deepest condolances and sympathy for what you must be feeling right now.
frown

#62310 - 05/10/02 04:28 PM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
Michelle Offline
Michelle  Offline

London, Ontario
Diana, I am so, so, so sorry to hear this. Nature works in weird ways, I guess, and I bet she's waiting for you at the rainbow bridge. At least her suffering's done now. frown frown frown frown frown frown frown

What you and Kurtis did was a noble thing, the greatest thing you can ever do for an animal in pain. You ended their suffering. It was the right thing to do.

(Excerpt from one of my poems)

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

(End excerpt)

You did the right thing. You have my sincere condolances.

#62311 - 05/10/02 06:47 PM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
I AM SO, SO SORRY FOR YOU. MY HEART IS BREAKING. MY WORLD WOULD BE SO EMPTY WITHOUT MY BABIES AND I DON'T EVEN WANT TO FIND OUT IF I AM STRONG ENOUGH TO GO THRU WHAT YOU HAVE. YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS.

#62312 - 05/11/02 02:37 AM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
3toos Offline
3toos  Offline

Vancouver Island
Diana,

I have to be short here, so that I can go home and Hug Jazz................

I am so sorry to hear that, after having shared my life with my M2, it breaks my heart to hear what you have to say. I wholeheartedly agree with you, I cannot comprehend how anyone could treat such a beautiful being so badly.

Thank you for taking the time to make her life better, she may have passed on sooner than we think she should have, but at least you made a difference in her life. There is a special place in heaven for you, and she is waiting there for you.

With great sadness,
Peter
frown

Some days it's chaos around here!
and I would not have it any other way.
#62313 - 05/11/02 02:53 AM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
Melinda Offline
Melinda  Offline

Oh Diana, my heart goes out to you, Kurtis and Druh. I'm so sorry to hear the very sad news and I agree with you completely.

I'm sending healing thoughts your way.

RIP@RB Gandhi
(((((Diana)))))

#62314 - 05/11/02 09:26 AM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
Diana Offline
Diana  Offline

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thank you so much everyone. It has been very hard for both Kurtis and I. We both cannot help but to replay the death of little Gandhi over and over again. I was asked in private to perhaps disclose what it is like to observe a bird being euthanized. At this moment, I can't do it since it was freakin awful. I thought having a euthanization done was the humane way of doing things. Now I really don't know anymore. I just DO KNOW in my heart that Kurtis and I could not let her suffer any longer. Gandhi was stressed right out during her moments of brief clarity. I have no idea of what happened to her yesterday. She never seemed totally right and I think she had brain injuries from the horrible beatings she sustained.

I feel like I betrayed her yesterday. When all of this was going on before her final trip to the vet. She would not go to Kurtis, she only wanted me around her. I tried my very best to comfort her, and she in return gave me her trust. If I had a choice to change my mind after the fact, I would not. I know that Kurtis and I did the right thing.

I have been helping around rescue for a very brief time now. I can say that I have learned much more then the average cockatoo owner in that brief period. Many people often flame Kurtis for trying his best to save these poor birds. They say to just destroy them. Well, after being witness to a bird being euthanized, I will do whatever it is in my power to save a bird, no matter what the odds are. If the situation goes like Gandhi's, I will still stay with that bird until the moment they die.

I could have walked away from the whole situation with Gandhi yesterday. However, I did not, since I know in my heart that I was meant to be there, as well as Gandhi needing me. Perhaps my experiences will go towards educating others, so perhaos this endless suffering can finally stop.

Sorry about the typos and spelling mistakes. I am very tired and did not get much sleep last night.

#62315 - 05/12/02 11:12 PM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
Birdfriend2 Offline
Birdfriend2  Offline

Englewood, NJ
So sad. So very sorry. My heart breaks.

#62316 - 05/13/02 01:57 AM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
happybirds Offline
Lives Here
happybirds  Offline
Lives Here

I do not have expierence is having to put any of my Birds to sleep, however, I have had to put several cats and dogs to sleep. Most usually slip peacefully into that eternal sleep we so wish for them, and all of mine have thankfully. A few years ago, while my Mom was in Florida, her Tuffy had to be put to sleep while she was away. My 2 sisters took him. I was not able to be there because I live about 5 hours from them. Anyway, they requested to be present when Tuffy was put to sleep and the vet accomodated their request. They both said it was terrible. Tuffy did not go quietly into the night. I won't recount the story as it is a little vague having happened several years ago.
I wonder about that. I wonder if the dose given was not high enough perhaps - thus causing the struggling.
I do think that most times it is a peaceful end, and not what you had to endure with Gandhi. I'm sorry it did not go smoothly - as we all wish it had.
I wouldn't use Gandhi's case as the marker for what happens, and would just pray, that she was the exception rather than the rule.
All that being said, I want to extend my deepest sympathy to you all, and again say, I'm so sorry that putting her to sleep was a bad expierence.

#62317 - 05/13/02 06:21 PM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
WHY CAN'T OTHERS SEE WHAT WE SEE IN THESE BEAUTIFUL CREATURES. MY M2 IS JUST STARTING TO TRUST ME AFTER BEING BEATEN AND ABUSED. THANK GOD I GOT HER BEFORE SOMETHING SO TERRIBLE HAPPENED LIKE GHANDI. I LOVE MY BABIES SO MUCH I JUST WANT TO GO HOME AND BE WITH THEM. I HOPE YOU WILL BEGIN TO FEEL BETTER SOON. WHEN I LOOK AT MY BABIES I FEEL THE SAME CHOKED UP EMOTIONS I GOT WHEN I LOOKED AT MY KIDS WHEN THEY WERE BABIES. THEY ARE ALL SO PRECIOUS.

#62318 - 05/14/02 01:56 PM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your message brought tears to my eyes. My prayers go out to you. It is so incredibly hard to lose such a wonderful and special companion. It makes me so mad to think about someone ever hurting an innocent animal to the point of such physical and mental damage. Take comfort in knowing you gave her a good rest of her life and did everything you could.

#62319 - 05/14/02 03:57 PM Re: Godspeed my little Gandhi girl  
u24me Offline
u24me  Offline

olalla Wa
frown I,m so sorry for your loss.I'm glad she found a wonderful last home. frown I'm shure she flying free now .

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny