Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 68 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62296 - 05/01/02 08:37 PM New 'too for two...  
Rick Offline
Rick  Offline

GA, USA
After viewing some of the content on this site, I think that it is worthwhile that I became a member and want to let you know more about my situation a little better. Granted, my wife and I are pet lovers and knew this was going to happen sooner or later.

*Yesterday*, my wife 'rescued' (ie. bought) an Umbrella Cockatoo from a guy who let his wife choose her dog over his bird. "Louie", as I think he was named, is two-ish and extremely sweet and appears to be in excellent health - mental, emotional, and physical. When I came in the house yesterday, he was cuddling on the floor with my wife. When I kneeled next to her, he came over to shower some affection my way. BTW, he has never seen me before in his life. It was kind of difficult not to accept our newest member with Louie being so charming.

Historically I have been a snob myself, when I owned a B&G macaw, Rupert [but sexed female so jokingly called RuPaul]. Rupert had taken to my pet store friend and when he lost everything in a home fire (except the kitten that saved his life), I gave (yes, gave) Rupert to him as a gift/replacement for his three birds (CAG, DYH, YNA) that he lost in the disaster.

I kept my old cage (3' x 4' x 5'), but it was still packed away and needed assembling/cleaning so I was off to PetsMart (just before 9PM) to buy a temp cage, snacks, toys for the night. Several hundred $ and a few hours later, Louie peacefully accepted his new room for the evening. I did try to get him to sleep with us, but once the lights were out - he became uneasy and fidgety. Today, we took him out of his new cage, showered with him ( he loves to drink out of the water faucet) and set his room up for the day. I unplugged and removed any cords, papered and toweled the floor, etc. He has full reign of the room, but this is not where I want to keep him during the day.

My PLANS are to have a nightime cage (the one I bought last night) in the spare bedroom and a daytime play area in our bonus room (20' x 24') in the garage. I still have to finish it : insulate, sheetrock, and bring in AC/Heat before I move him in, but I think he will like it better because it is twice as large and we can add play toys everywhere.

My biggest concern is his mental and emotional health. He is as sweet and cuddly as any other young, impressionable 'too. But since both my wife and I work 8+ hours a day, I am concerned with his attitude changing. Maybe a day or two a week she could bring him with her to the office, but that is still uncertain. In the evening, he will be with us all the time. We cooked and ate with our B&G and plan to do the same with Louie. I do not want him to become unhappy with his new home. I hope having a play cage/area and a separate sleeping cage/room won't have a negative effect on him such as developing any bad habits from stress, lonliness, or depression. His happiness and wellbeing are my top concerns so please feel free to send me any comments or suggestions about my proposed plans.

Thanks!

Rick
rick.pruden@gulfaero.com

#62297 - 05/01/02 08:56 PM Re: New 'too for two...  
birddoggies Offline
birddoggies  Offline

Boynton Beach, Florida
Now here is a responsible bird owner. WOW! Rick, everyone who is thinking about aquiring a bird should read what you did and are doing for yours!
Super duper! And congrats on the new Kid. wink

#62298 - 05/01/02 10:05 PM Re: New 'too for two...  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

I would just suggest that you look over the room that he will be spending the day in for any potential hazards. A large room sounds nice but you have to be careful that there are not more potential dangers. Although a cage is much smaller it may be safer when not supervised.

I would also suggest that the first thing you do upon getting home from work is to go get your bird. You shouldn't deviate from this on a regular basis or you will have a loud and unhappy bird on your hands.

#62299 - 05/03/02 04:17 PM Re: New 'too for two...  
Rick Offline
Rick  Offline

GA, USA
Thanks for the positive feedback! I will need to bird-proof the new room since I will be attempting to share it with him as an office - filing cabinets are a must... wink
Yesterday, I took him out to be with me before I left for dinner out and when I came back after dusk, we was voicing his uneasiness by being in a dark room without being in his covered cage. We then took him out of the room to be with us (for about a hour or so) to calm him and feed him an evening snack before putting him back to bed.
He is a great U2 - so far... he loves the shower and even tolerated the hair dryer. Every time he is around running water, he has to take a drink. This morning in our bed, he would hop like a bunny with his feathers all poofed out to go from my wife to me in between one of our cats and our Jack Russell. It was too funny! I'll be sure to keep you all updated as he progresses in our home. I am glad I found this site - it is a great resource...

Rick

#62300 - 05/04/02 12:57 AM Re: New 'too for two...  
Randa Offline
Randa  Offline

Rick- allowing your bird within reach of your cat and your terrier is a very bad idea. Not only can your bird be quickly killed, large parrots can inflict horrible injuries to other pets. You may want to rethink physical interaction between them. And don't forget that a two-ish cockatoo is still very much a baby. Allowing close proximity now may set the stage for an ugly incident later.

#62301 - 05/08/02 02:45 AM Re: New 'too for two...  
sarah Offline
sarah  Offline

Santa Cruz
I started out a few years ago with a teenage girl 'too who had been put up for sale because she needed more attention. She let me know she hated being alone while I was gone, so I bought some "environments" CDs with music and bird sounds and put them on for her.

I would also put one on at night if she was having trouble going to sleep by herself.

Pretty good ones include "Singing Birds", "Amazon Rain Forest", "A Walk in the Deep Woods" and "Soothing Waterfalls". They are inexpensive
-- less than $3 at Ross discount stores.

The other thing that helps is lots of toys. I try to have a wood hanging chew toy, a plastic hanging toy, and fill a food cup full of some foot toys.

Still, Sammy kept getting lonely. I finally went and bought another bird to keep her company (that's another story).

I think the ultimate answer for single birds might be a "parrot web ring" with a small LCD screen / camera near the cage and a beak-operatable "next" switch. But right now the components are a bit expensive and it's a very small market.

#62302 - 05/08/02 05:41 AM Re: New 'too for two...  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read that article in bird talk magazine too...about parrot computers. It would certainly be a good idea for exercising their minds...if they weren't too tempted to rip it apart..:-)

#62303 - 05/08/02 08:22 PM Re: New 'too for two...  
Rick Offline
Rick  Offline

GA, USA
Randa, thanks for the suggestions about my multi-pet HH. I am not in the habit of letting them play together or leave them in the same room unsupervised. It just struck me as "cute" when it happened...
FYI - I found out that my 'too is four, not two :p

#62304 - 05/08/02 10:36 PM Re: New 'too for two...  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Rick, I think what Randa meant is that it is NOT safe to have your too interact with your other pets like that at all, even if it is superivsed or not-a cat could easily deliver a scratch or nip that could prove fatal to your bird..there are other posts about it somewhere on the board. Not to mention your too could permanently mutilate your dog or cat with that big beak. Just thinking of safety, for your little jack russel and cat as well as your cockatoo! laugh

#62305 - 05/10/02 01:15 AM Re: New 'too for two...  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Hi Rick and congratulations on the new family member..ONE comment and question..when you say the bird wouldnt "sleep" with us..you DID mean in the same ROOM, not actually in BED with you right? You arent allowing the bird to roam free outside the cage at night Im assuming? And I agree..I wouldnt let him intereact with the dog and cat, that could be dangerous, even though it is cute I know :-)
Good luck and please feel free to ask questions and share your experience with us!

#62306 - 05/15/02 03:03 AM Re: New 'too for two...  
Birdfriend2 Offline
Birdfriend2  Offline

Englewood, NJ
You are way ahead of the game if your 'too LIKES sleeping in his closed cage. It's a very good habit. You will be able to grab him quickly in an emergency such as a fire (heaven forbid!). If he has freedom to wander, someday he will. Not to mention if he is startled or whatever. There are so many dangerous things that could happen! Also, no matter how trustworthy your cat and dog are with the bird, someday the bird may attack them. The 'too will fare very badly if they defend themselves, or if he gets stomped on or squished when they try to get away. My real reason for posting was to suggest you give the bird a view out of a window to occupy his time. I had a blue and gold that could take anything (3 sublets, 16 hour work days) as long as she could look out of a window. She plucked her feathers otherwise. Who could blame her. I was afraid to let the bird be seen in the window, but the alternative was plucking! I used sheer curtains or blinds when I could. She could always get away from the window if she wanted to. (My lifestyle is no longer that hectic). My scarlet macaw took a while to learn to enjoy window watching but he does now. His previous owner said he didn't ever look out the window so she stopped trying. My window screens block the view from the street enough to satisfy my worries about security. (He is also on the second floor with a big dog and an alarm system to get past). The birds like to watch me work in the yard. I can wave goodbye to them when I go to work. They watch wild birds at the feeders. Just a suggestion. Maybe it's just an Amazon/Macaw thing.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny