Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 62 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62282 - 04/27/02 03:03 AM Cherry headed conures  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, so this is not a cockatoo, but I would still appreciate all info knowing that many members also have smaller birds in their flocks. Is the cherry headed conure the same as a Mitred conure? I looked in the lexicon of parrots but could not find the name cherry headed, I did find the name mitred conure, which is the closest thing to what this parrot looks like.
I ask because I want to get him out of the store he is in. Not because he is mistreated, but because he has been there since at least October, and it is time he/she found a home. The date of birth is unkown. Age is unknown. It doesn't look like a younger parrot, at least to my untrained eyes. It prefers women, and has funny toes.
The toes are funny in that instead of pointing downwards at the tip, they point up, so if it was standing flat footed the toenails would be facing the sky. Named Bandit, keeps slipping off his perch. I am only thinking about giving him a better home because he is for sale for SO cheap, and this hasn't even got him a proper home. I don't care if it ever wants to be my friend, I would just like to see him in a more stable enviroment than the store, and in a bigger cage.
Anything you can throw my way about "cherryheaded conures" would be appreciated. This parrot is not so much a rescue really, he has good toys and a proper diet, I just don't think he gets enough attention.
Thoughts welcome. wink

#62283 - 04/27/02 03:55 AM Re: Cherry headed conures  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alrighty, so after some internet help from others, I think it is probably a redmasked, not a mitred conure. But if you know anything about either, let me know. I understand that ara=loud, but what are they like as parrots?

#62284 - 04/27/02 04:01 AM Re: Cherry headed conures  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Cherryheads are NOT the same as Mitreds. They're very similar, as are the Wagler's, and the 3 subspecies are often confused.
My JayJay is a cherryhead. They're fairly large, as conures go. They're aratingas, so they're going to be louder than your baby. They're really smart, and have pretty darned good talking ability.
Jay sounds like he's channeling Barry White in everything he says. This bass voice coming out of this little bird, when everyone else in the house has a 5-year old girl voice is amusing as heck. And he never shuts up.

Jeanne

#62285 - 04/27/02 04:19 AM Re: Cherry headed conures  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I think it is a cherry head from pics I have seen, has funny toes. I will find out more about "him" next time I go, says hello, seems very interested in me, just unsure how tame it is.
Tell me more , Jeanne, Please!

#62286 - 04/27/02 04:41 AM Re: Cherry headed conures  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
YOu have to tell me what "more" you want. <G> Big subject.

The breeder I got JayJay from is named Kathy Johnson. Good woman. Her website is at http://www.ddc.com/~kjohnson/birdcare.htm

and you might find it interesting. You can also email her, as she really knows her conures. Tell her I sent you!

Jeanne

#62287 - 04/27/02 05:21 AM Re: Cherry headed conures  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, I have emailed her. What do you think is up with this birds funny toes? It appears the toenails are not used at all, for gripping or holding, like they don't bend. I can only describe it as hamfisted, the toes seem a little deformed, not in shape but in their stance.

#62288 - 04/27/02 08:20 AM Re: Cherry headed conures  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Re: Toes

I'd have to see a picture. Honestly. Could be that the parents broke them when he was in the nest. Could be a birth defect. I have no clue. Wierd, though.

Jeanne

#62289 - 04/27/02 08:29 AM Re: Cherry headed conures  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I know-I have trouble describing it, but the toenails/claws stick straight out, they do not curve at all, it's like the toes don't curve downwards. Next time I go I will try to sketch it, not having a camera.
PS Do you have pictures of jay jay on your site? I looked, but couldn't find any. And also, I ended up calling you Jeanne HARVEY in my email to that woman, so hopefully she will still know who you are!lol

#62290 - 04/27/02 02:18 PM Re: Cherry headed conures  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Our female Alexandrine has a toenail on each foot that is straight, like what you describe. Since it isn't curved down it sticks up at an angle. I'm not sure what caused it. I can take a picture if you would like.

The male Alexandrine has normal toenails.

#62291 - 04/27/02 08:58 PM Re: Cherry headed conures  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you Micheal, I would like a picture. This toe problem will not bother me, perhaps this is why the bird hasn't found a home yet-all of the toes on both feet are like that-ends don't point down, so it looks like chopsticks when it is holding on to food. I only ask because if I do find a way to care for it, I want to know if it would be better off with a flat perch than round, or at least a flat place to stand on.
Thanks

#62292 - 04/27/02 11:13 PM Re: Cherry headed conures  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Here is the picture, I hope it is clear enough. The back toenail is the straight one (in case it isn't obvious).

When she stands on a flat surface the toenail points upwards. You can also see how it doesn't help her grip the perch. I can only imagine how difficult it would be if all were like this.

#62293 - 04/27/02 11:45 PM Re: Cherry headed conures  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, except that the toe end little bulbous part is also pointing upwards...this is why he keeps slipping off the perch. You know how when a parrot grasps the bar of its cage how the feet go? Well this poor guy has to cross his toes to hang on-is it a birth defect in your bird Michael? Thanks for the picture.

#62294 - 04/28/02 03:28 AM Re: Cherry headed conures  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
I don't know if it is a birth defect or the result of an injury or if it is correctable or not. Since only one toe on each foot is like this it doesn't cause her much trouble.

#62295 - 05/01/02 02:56 AM Re: Cherry headed conures  
Frank Carr Offline
Frank Carr  Offline

Atlanta, GA
I've only encountered a Cherry Head once, but it was memorable. It was at a local bird & fish specialty store. The little guy took a liking to me right off and would not leave me alone the whole time I was in there checking out the birds. He even flew halfway across the room, landed on my back, and climbed up to my shoulder. Unfortunately, with 3 birds already and a very limited budget I couldn't fulfill his wish and take him home with me.

The folks at the store said that they were fun and smart but also a bit pig-headed and one-person oriented. That could describe most parrots, but they emphasized the "one-person" aspect heavily.

As for the toe, parrots seem to get toe deformities from time to time but it doesn't seem to slow them down much. If the bird has trouble gripping a perch, you might want to look at alternative perching methods other people have setup. I've seen a few websites that have examples, but I don't have an address handy. Going to Google and looking up on parrots, toes and perches might yield some results.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny