Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 36 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62246 - 03/19/02 04:45 AM Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Maria Guyan Offline
New Member
Maria Guyan  Offline
New Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Ohio
I'll try this again since it looks like the site died for a moment at the exact moment I sent my last post. Not sure if that's an omen or not... confused

Hi everyone,

I'd like your advice on a rescue I'm considering. I'm still reading through the site, but would like some opinions.

I'm 22 years old and currently working at home. If things go as planned, that will be the case for a long while. I have three dogs (large, mixed breeds, rescues), 2 Quaker parrots (3 & 4 years old), a rabbit, a duck, and fish. No children.

A week ago, a friend of mine who lives in Canada told me about a bird in a pet store near her. She's been visiting this cockatoo for about 6 months now. Her name is Liberty and she's either a greater or lesser sulfur crested cockatoo judging from the description. I'm still waiting on a picture. If I decide to take her, this will be her fourth move in her short 2 1/2 year old life.

Her first home was great. She was living with a man who spent a lot of time with her and tamed her. She had no cage there, and was free to follow him around. Unfortunately, he got sick and had to go in the hospital. This forced him to give her up to a humane society type of organization.

That organization decided to breed her. She was only about a year old at the time. I don't know if they weren't aware of this, or if they didn't have all their info straight.... but obviously she was too young. When she refused to mate, the male attacked and ripped out almost all her feathers.

From there, she was given to the pet store to be sold. She's been there for about 8 months. Her feathers are still gone and may never regrow. According to my friend, she has less feathers than "Joey" on this site. To make matters worse, she constantly preens what little feathers she does have. I don't know yet if she's actually pulling out new feathers or not.

The pet store has her on a seed, fruit and veggie diet. They take her out of the cage occasionally. My friend has been visiting her for about 6 months (budgie owner) and says she's very affectionate, always wanting to be petted. She's 2 1/2 years old now as far as they know.

Other than the feathers problem, she seems to be healthy. She coos when petted and yells when you try to walk away. No sign of talking at this point, but that's not surprising.

Due to the way she looks, the pet store is eager to get rid of her and is asking only $250. If I get her, I would set up a cage here, drive up to Canada (I'm in the US), pick her up and take her immediately to the vet, then drive back down with her in a travel cage after getting a vet certification for crossing the border.

I have dealt with rescues before (abused dog, poorly weaned Quaker, bird behavior problems...) but never with a large bird. I would love to get some advice here. It will be at least a month before I'm able to go get her so I'm spending the time getting as much information as possible.

In particular, I'd like advice on helping her with what I'm sure are traumatic experiences up to this point.... any info on encouraging feathers to grow in if possible.... and just general info, good or bad.

Thank you in advance for anything.

Maria Guyan

#62247 - 03/19/02 05:07 AM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 23
Peter Offline
New Member
Peter  Offline
New Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 23
Victoria, BC, Canada
Hello Maria,

Before you get too involved, you should check into the laws regarding bringing the bird back to the USA. I am not certain about how that would work for you but I know when we travel to the USA (we are also in Canada) you need to prove that the bird has been yours for 90days, healthy etc etc etc.

Check with your Avian Vet, and also check with US Customs, there may be some roadblocks there for you, they may want to quarantine her for a while. It may require a trip to a Canadian Vet for certification, or some other paperwork shuffle. If you are near the west coast, I can have our avian vet refer you to someone close to you.

Good luck to you, keep us posted.

Regards,

Peter
Victoria, BC

#62248 - 03/19/02 05:12 AM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Maria Guyan Offline
New Member
Maria Guyan  Offline
New Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Ohio
I'm in Ohio. Liberty is in Montreal. I'm currently checking into the laws on bringing her back. That's just one of the many many things on my list of things to do before moving forward with this.

The information I have so far is that I'll need a health certification from a Canadian vet. I've found one who is registered to do this in an avian clinic not too far from where she is. That will be our first stop after leaving the pet store.

Maria Guyan

#62249 - 03/19/02 05:25 AM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 23
Peter Offline
New Member
Peter  Offline
New Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 23
Victoria, BC, Canada
OK good,

Sounds like you have decided already that you are going to do this, no matter what it takes.

Good for you Maria, go do whatever it takes to bring her home. Then keep us all posted. You can get most advice and ideas from everyone here to figure the rest out.

Good Luck to both of you!

Peter

#62250 - 03/19/02 06:20 AM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


If you can, give me the name of this "humane organization" that gave her such shoddy care, I like to keep track of places that don't treat animals properly. If you are shy to say it, you can email me. Hey-does everyone know that Quebec, Canada has no provincial animal cruelty laws? All they have are federal statutes, which pretty much just say if you decide to kill your animal it has to be done humanely. It is apparently the only province/state that doesn't have it's own separate laws. It's why so many puppy mills and such choose to operate there.(Don't get me wrong, I've been to quebec and I quite like it:))I have looked in to importing birds before I decidec not to ever buy a baby, if the bird is classified as CITES 1, like a moluccan, the paperwork is a massive undertaking. Good luck to you smile

#62251 - 03/19/02 06:31 AM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Maria Guyan Offline
New Member
Maria Guyan  Offline
New Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Ohio
I'd give the name to you if I knew. Unfortunately, I don't. All this info was obtained by my friend who was nice enough to call the store for me and pry more info out of them.

The actual word she used was "pension organization". Maybe that means something to someone here. I'd never heard that particular term before. She described it as a home for orphaned animals. I have no idea why they would try to breed her and make _more_ orphaned animals.

Maria Guyan

#62252 - 03/19/02 05:42 PM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 115
Jeanne Harney Offline
Member
Jeanne Harney  Offline
Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 115
Toledo OH USA
Maria, if/when you find out what type of Too this bird is, I may be able to help. I have a 5-year old Greater, and believe me, they're...different. I love Luna to death, but dealing with him is totally different than dealing with my Umbie or with any of the other birds I've been involved with in 20-some years of bird rehab and (formerly) breeding. Stopped that when I decided nobody was "worthy" of my babies.

I have some limited experience with Lessers, but Luna has been a learning experience for both me and my husband. Had I known...well, anyway, we won him in a RAFFLE. Unweaned! (which they neglected to tell me until I asked) Thank the Gods that he went to experienced handfeeders who knew not only what he needed but how to find out what WE needed to know about him.

I'm also in Ohio (Toledo) so I may be able to help with decent vets, etc, as I'm pretty plugged in to the local "bird scene".

Jeanne

#62253 - 03/19/02 07:25 PM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Maria Guyan Offline
New Member
Maria Guyan  Offline
New Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Ohio
I'm surprised just how many people are on here from Ohio. I'm from just outside of Youngstown... if you know where that is. smile

I just got off the phone with the border patrol. This looks like it's going to be a challenge, but worth it. I'm still not completely decided yet, but will likely do this.

Apparently I need to get a CITES permit eek from both the US and Canada, customs permission, another vet check at the border, and make an appointment to get through. Still... not too too scary just yet. cool

Waiting for info on how to get the CITES permit now.

The only cockatoos I've had contact with through the pet stores here and the bird club thus far have been umbrellas. This should be an experience.

Also figuring out possibilities for the cage. The computer area (work room) is looking good with enough room, but it's right off the kitchen.... Teflon... frown

Thanks for everyone's help so far smile

Maria Guyan

#62254 - 03/19/02 08:00 PM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered


As far as teflon goes, I understand it is only a danger if it is overheated enough to cause fumes, you can always go with a cast iron frying pan if you are in doubt. The metal things underneath burners are a danger too, I can't remeber what they are called. Every time I cook, I always open a window or two in the kitchen anyways. Self cleaning ovens are a danger too, as well as air freshener, scented candles and cleaners. I do not use any of those things around the bird, you should be ok smile

#62255 - 03/19/02 08:21 PM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 23
Peter Offline
New Member
Peter  Offline
New Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 23
Victoria, BC, Canada
Dear Maria:
This is Miriam, Peter's wife. I am the proud pet of a Lesser Sulphur Crested. I want to to know that she is the best thing that has ever happened to me. It is wonderful that you want to rescue this bird. If you want to look at a picture of Sophie to see if it is the same kind of bird just pop on to my website

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/7125/sophie.html

All the luck in the world to you! I hope that you will be able to bring your too home soon!

smile Miriam

#62256 - 03/19/02 10:45 PM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Maria Guyan Offline
New Member
Maria Guyan  Offline
New Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Ohio
Thank you so much, Miriam! The video of Sophie is adorable. My Quakers have a lot of the same mannerisms that you describe on your site. Buddy especially does the chin scratch when I'm not paying enough attention to him. smile

Congratulations on your Jazz too. It's nice to see some other stories of cockatoos from bad situations who are happy and healthy now.

Maria Guyan

#62257 - 03/21/02 08:11 PM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Maria Guyan Offline
New Member
Maria Guyan  Offline
New Member

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19
Ohio
Let me start off by saying a huge THANK YOU to everyone who responded... or even read my post about Liberty. Also, an even larger thank you to Jerry for creating this site.

After thinking long and hard about this issue, going over my finances, looking at my current situation, and reading this site many many times.... I've decided that it would be best for Liberty to find a home elsewhere. I will put my efforts towards making this happen and to taking care of my Quakers.

Once again, Liberty is a Sulfur Crested Cockatoo, 2 1/2 years old. She's missing almost all of her feathers but is very affectionate. She is currently in a pet store, being sold for $250 without a cage. She is outside of Montreal, Canada.

If any of you are willing to give her a good home or know of someone who will, please contact me privately at petlady5@yahoo.com I will have a picture of her available shortly and will only give out the details of her whereabouts to someone with cockatoo experience, willing to give her the care she needs.

Thank you again to everyone.

Maria Guyan

#62258 - 03/21/02 08:17 PM Re: Considering A Rescue... Need Advice  
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,814
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here
*****

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,814
Vermont, USA
I'm sure that was a hard decision to make. I can see your putting the bird's welfare first. Best wishes for both you and this wonderful bird.


Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny 

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.031s Queries: 13 (0.008s) Memory: 5.0745 MB (Peak: 5.4302 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-08-16 10:21:01 UTC