Who's Online
1 registered (hellococky), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Topic Options
#55487 - 06/06/06 09:13 PM Swollen Uropygial Gland (Preen Gland)
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here

Hello everyone,

In our vet visit back in the beginning of the year, the vet pointed out to me that Sammy's preen gland was swollen. He told me to

-increase showers (I admit I wasn't good about regular bathing because he HATES it but I give him a bath once a week by taking him in the shower with me).

-gently massage the gland (which I do whenever we're snuggling)

-inrease vitamin A intake.

Now I understand that birds with vit. A deficiency tend to be the ones who live on a mostly seed diet. But with Sammy, this has not been the case. His diet, from the time we brought him home, has consisted mainly of fresh vegetables and fruits.

According to the chart at http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=15&cat=1835&articleid=2054, the following foods are high in vit. A:

Apricots
Broccoli leaves and flowerettes
Cantaloupe
Carrots
Collard greens
Mango
Nectarines
Papaya
Parsley
Peaches
Sweet potatoes
Spinach
Turnip greens
Yellow squash

Oh my god ya'll, I don't get it because most of the foods on this list are in his bowl regularly and he eats them regularly.

Things like squash, collards, peaches, mangoes, carrots, broccoli, nectarines, mango... have ALWAYS been staples in his diet.

I've been following the vet's instructions and his hasn't unclogged or gone back to normal and its been almost 6 months now.

I intend to take him to our new vet and do another full workup as we did in January, but I wanted to know from any of you if you have any experience with this or have any suggestions.

#55488 - 06/06/06 09:41 PM Re: Swollen Uropygial Gland (Preen Gland)
Charlie Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Loc: Covington, LA USA
I think a second opinion is a good idea. I got this from Dr. Wissman's site:

Quote:
This author has performed many second opinions concerning the uropygial gland of greys, which were thought to be enlarged, impacted, infected, or abnormal, but in actuality, the gland was normal for a grey. Another species with a prominent uropygial gland is the Moluccan cockatoo, Cacatua moluccensis.

Although there are common references in the avian literature concerning impaction of the uropygial gland, in this author's practice, this is very rarely observed.
She also mentions that hypovitaminosis usually manifests first as blunted choanal papillae with uropygial problems following.

SOURCE: http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/uropygial.html

#55489 - 06/08/06 05:57 PM Re: Swollen Uropygial Gland (Preen Gland)
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Oregon
Hi B2S, when I took Charley to the vet a couple of weeks ago, my vet had me feel and view Charley`s preen gland to know what a normal gland felt like. (Sydnee has a very abnormal gland that the vet wanted to make me aware of. we are investigating it at this time) Charley`s gland is about the shape of the tinest pea you can imagine. It is just a little nubbin on the center of the end of his tail. Also, just under his gland, there are 3 tiny, tiny yellow feathers. If Sammy`s gland looks like that, I would not worry.
The vet does not know if Sydnee`s gland problem was caused by the feather chewing or if the feather chewing was a reaction to the gland problem.
Sharon

#55490 - 06/08/06 06:14 PM Re: Swollen Uropygial Gland (Preen Gland)
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Oregon
After reading the article Charlie suggested, I think the nubbin on Charley is the wick. Sydnee does not have one of these. Instead, she has a swollen pink lump there. shocked
She will be done with the antibiotics tomorrow and the gland size has decreased, but is not normal looking at all. shocked
Thanks for the link Charlie. smile
Sharon

Moderator:  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny