Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Chucki's Dad), 52 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#54607 - 04/14/06 02:28 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Sheal Offline
Sheal  Offline

Brampton, Canada
I was just wondering how everything is going? Hope feather baby is okay and so are you Lourdes. Worried about the both of you and thinking about you and feather baby. Keeping yous two in my thoughts and hoping things turn out.

Sheal

Quote:
You become responsible forever for what you have tamed - Antoine De Saint Exupery

#54608 - 04/14/06 05:07 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Debrew Offline
Debrew  Offline

ohio
Wow, that is really young, DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED by some negative posts, you have just as much right to take care of and love you bird as much as anyone here that owns one.

With that being said there is alot of knowledgable people here, much more then myself so please stick around and READ READ READ>>

#54609 - 04/14/06 09:05 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
LoveMy2 Offline
LoveMy2  Offline

Portland, OR
Debrew - I don't believe anyone here as meant to discuss or give an opinion has to whether or not Lourdes has the right to have a bird. I think the main concern here is that a person was sold a 7 week old baby bird. Not only is this extremely dangerous for abd to the bird's health and well-being, it also really sets Lourdes up for a failure. Not to mention that this breeder should be fined, sued and/or jailed for animal abuse/neglect among other things (like being an ignorant, pompous ass).

#54610 - 04/15/06 12:07 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I really hope Lourdes comes back and lets us know how things are going. I also hope to hear about this breeder so this kind of thing doesn't keep happening. Just think of all the people who, unlike Lourdes, don't manage to find their way to a forum where they can learn.

Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#54611 - 04/16/06 08:03 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
LoveMy2 Offline
LoveMy2  Offline

Portland, OR
Lourdes, I sure hope you can get back to us. I hope Corky is o.k. If not, I am very sorry. If so, maybe we can be of more assistance. I hope you can let us know either way. Thinking about you both!

#54612 - 04/17/06 02:08 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Debrew Offline
Debrew  Offline

ohio
The issue here is the bird's HEALTH, not the breeder the breeder is not here on this board,The person needing help is!

The fact is 99% of Americans couldn't care less about exotic birds to them a too/parrot is the same as anybird.Only those lucky enough have the experiance to know how wonderfull these creatures really are will ever know.

Having the breeder jailed/prosecuted is just a fantasy of your anger. There are only 50% of U.S. state that protect dogs. 0% on Exotic animals. Except the importation of these animals. Is the guy a scumbag money grubber, YES...Is anything we can do about no frown

I really wish the best for this bird and it's new owner.
Best wishes

BTW I do admire alot of what Charlie has done here,no doubt a great effort on his part. Prevention and Education is the key as he is doing.

#54613 - 04/17/06 02:26 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
jennibee Offline
jennibee  Offline

Concord, NC
I wish Lourdes would come back on and let us know that Corky is okay.

Before I even knew there was such thing as rescuing 'toos, and maybe before mytoos was hatched, I bought my M2 George B. He was eight weeks old when I paid for him, but I did not bring him home until he was twelve weeks old.

From reading on mytoos, it seems that 3 months is even considered young, but at the time I had no idea. He had learned to sit on a perch, and was eating food on his own. But I fed him oatmeal, mashed potatoes, fruit, etc by hand as well.

I had read several cockatoo books before bringing Georgie home, and we have survived together, but how much easier it would have been to have mytoos to learn from! And I could not have made it through George's initial hormone surge without Jerry's advice, that's for sure!

I hope Lourdes comes back to share and learn, and that Corky is doing well!

#54614 - 04/17/06 04:28 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
LoveMy2 Offline
LoveMy2  Offline

Portland, OR
Quote:
DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED by some negative posts, you have just as much right to take care of and love you bird as much as anyone here that owns one.
Debrew, please don't misunderstand me. I was simply stating that I didn't feel that anyone here was intentionally questioning whether or not Lourdes had a right to own a bird. But, in fact, we are all concerned about the bird's health and well being as much as trying to assist Lourdes in a difficult situation. I am well aware of abuse and neglect laws in realizing that this breeder mostly likely will not be stopped from his/her unprofessional practices.

#54615 - 04/18/06 03:27 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Skylark Offline
Skylark  Offline

Maine, USA
Everyone else has stated the obvious about the birds age, danger, and Lourde's being set up for failure.

I just wanted to add that baby cockatoos lie down to sleep. This baby is probably barely perching at this point. Make sure you keep it warm and give it blankets to lie down on and change them frequently.

Hopefully Lourdes comes back with some answers to all the questions about feeding the baby that have been asked. "A parent without a guide?" That's a baby in deep trouble.

#54616 - 04/21/06 04:41 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Lourdes Offline
Lourdes  Offline

Miami
Thanks to all for replying and caring. Corky has been to the avian vet twice. Corky had an infection WBC was a little high. Took Mytastin and Sulfatrin for 7 days and went back to the AV yesterday for a follow up. Corky looks great but his White Blood cell count was still high and the vet recomended that we wait another week to see if more antibiotics are needed. I am perplexed because Corky seems perfectly fine now. I don't understand why his WBC would still be off.

#54617 - 04/21/06 04:49 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Lourdes Offline
Lourdes  Offline

Miami
Jenebee, Lovemy2 and Debrew thank you for your support. As a new Cockatoo owner I was horrified and you guys provided the info without the bs.

Thanks,
Lourdes

#54618 - 04/21/06 04:56 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
LoveMy2 Offline
LoveMy2  Offline

Portland, OR
Lourdes - so glad you are back!! Glad Corky is doing o.k., albeit a high WBC. There can be so many, many different reasons for this! Keep an eye on him and follow doctor's orders. Alot of babies get yeast infections when hand-feeding. Nystatin is pretty good at curing this. And there are alot of different antibiotics out there that can help with the WBC, although need to be careful for treating this when yeast is present. How is he eating? What are you using for hand-feeding formula? Do keep in touch with us - we are here for you to help any way we can! smile

#54619 - 04/21/06 05:20 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I'm glad you're back, and doubly glad that you've had him checked thoroughly.

Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#54620 - 04/21/06 05:50 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
emmy Offline
emmy  Offline

US
Glad to hear that Corky is recovering. A good avian vet is so important to the health of the birds that own us. (Wish I had known this before we got Emmy.) Hope you’re doing OK, too. It can be very stressful when our birds are ill.

#54621 - 04/21/06 09:35 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
A high WBC is a healthy reaction to an infection, isn't it? It means the body is fighting off the "bug" whether it's yeast or bacteria or virus. The "extra" week of antibiotics is an attempt to make sure the bird, not the "bug", is the winner!
(I've been in the situation, not my bird, but me, where a high WBC prompted a doc to keep pumping antibiotics, and that's the way they explained it to me. You want to kill off all the bugs, so you aren't just creating a colony of super-resistant ones that will make him sick again and again frown )

Jody
#54622 - 04/21/06 11:36 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
LoveMy2 Offline
LoveMy2  Offline

Portland, OR
Hey Jody - the white blood cell count does, indeed, tell us that there's an infection present. However, giving too much antibiotic when there is yeast present usually only makes the yeast worse, or at best keeps it at bay if using something to counteract it like Nystatin. I think the vet might have wanted to wait a week to put Corkey back on antibiotics due to the yeast, and antibiotic use can get to be tough on the internal system if used too long. Also, using antibiotics for too long or too often can actually help to build a stonger bacteria that is more resistant to antibiotics. That's why our doctors don't like to put us on an antibiotic unless really needed. If we went on antibiotic everytime we had the sniffles when/if a really nasty infection started antibiotics might not work as well. Yak, Yak, Yak. Sorry, I got carried away. :rolleyes:

#54623 - 04/22/06 12:11 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Sheal Offline
Sheal  Offline

Brampton, Canada
Yay, corky is still ok, I hope you are too lourdes

Sheal

#54624 - 04/22/06 07:25 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
jennibee Offline
jennibee  Offline

Concord, NC
Lourdes,

I am so happy that you came back, and that Corky is doing better. My George B got a sneezy infection when he was less than a year old, and it was several weeks of vet visits and trying to get pink medicine down his beak - entertaining and stressful - but he has been fine since. I was a worried wreck, and did not have mytoos.com friends to help!

Everyone is giving you lots of good advice here, and we care very much about the welfare of cockatoos and all birds as you can tell, no doubt! laugh

Please feel free to keep us posted, read lots, and ask questions as needed - it is always great to obtain advice and information from others that have gone through what you are now going through!

On another note, I'll bet Corky is the cutest! I just saw a 12-week baby umbrella the other day, and although I am immune to his charms as I am already owned by a beloved M2, I can see he was a little fluffy ball of feathery love! Amazing, they are...

Looking forward to hearing more about Corky, and a photo one of these days, too!

#54625 - 04/22/06 09:26 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
jm47 Offline
Chained to the Computer
jm47  Offline
Chained to the Computer

central Iowa
Well, my choice of treatments for a yeast infection would definitely include yogurt or kefir. smile But then, I'm not a vet, and I'm not a people-doc either. :rolleyes: My point was, the high WBC is not the infection itself, but the (proper, healthy) reaction to an infection.

Jody
#54626 - 04/22/06 10:23 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
flowerchild Offline
Lives Here
flowerchild  Offline
Lives Here

New England
OMG! jennibee. a sick bird without mytoos for support! i'd almost forgotten what that was like. though i did survive for 25 yrs without you guys, not all of my birds did. and now that i'm here, i can't imagine a bird crisis without all of you! it was "too" hard without you all!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny