Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 62 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#54587 - 04/12/06 09:09 PM Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Lourdes Offline
Lourdes  Offline

Miami
I just purchased a 7-week-old Umbrella Cockatoo. I know, I just read in the message board that baby Cockatoos are not supposed to be for sale at that age. I am a first time owner and fell in love with the baby. I had been looking for a Cockatoo for a long time and had a bad experience with a full grown Cockatoo who was abused. One minute he was sweet and the next minute he would go for a full attach on the first person that he came into contact with. My husband, out of desperation seeing all the bruises in my arms from the horrible bites; sold Charlie (that was the cockatoo's name) without my consent.

Now we have this 7-week-old baby (Corky) but I am very concerned. Corky is lying down to sleep and sleeps an awful lot. I have looked and looked for normal baby cockatoo behavior and can't find anything. I am a parent without a guide. If any of you have any tips for me I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Lourdes

#54588 - 04/12/06 09:22 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Relle Offline
Lives Here
Relle  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Lourdes, I cannot stress this enough!!! GET THAT BABY TO A VET, NOW, RIGHT NOW, THIS MINUTE!!!

#54589 - 04/12/06 09:25 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Lourdes Offline
Lourdes  Offline

Miami
I spoke to the breeder and he told me that he is lying down because he is a baby.

#54590 - 04/12/06 09:26 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
MMM Offline
Lives Here
MMM  Offline
Lives Here

Hi Lourdes -

Welcome to Mytoos. Please understand that this message board is strictly against the breeding, buying and selling of cockatoos. I suggest that you go to www.mytoos.com to see why we are against supporting the pet-bird trade in any way.

Now that that's out of the way....

Can you take your baby back to the breeder and ask for a refund? Selling babies that young is irresponsible and an inexperienced hand feeder can easily kill a baby bird. I wouldn't want you to have to hold the burden of hurting your baby simply because you weren't educated properly. Relle is right - TAKE CORKY TO A VET - your breeder might seem reputable/knowledgable to you, but if he's sold you a 7 week old baby, he's NOT concerned about the welfare of Corky!

Please don't take offence to my question - but are you aware that Cockatoos generally do bite? Granted some are worse than others, but because they are not domesticated animals they do what come naturally (which is bite and scream). Once your Corky matures (and starts acting like every other U2 that I know), will your husband "sell" him too?

Personally, I think that selling a family member (feathered furred or otherwise) would be grounds for divorce.

*-sigh-*

#54591 - 04/12/06 09:33 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
LoveMy2 Offline
LoveMy2  Offline

Portland, OR
Lourdes - Listen to Relle - NOT the breeder!! Get this baby to an avain vet now!!

#54592 - 04/12/06 09:36 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Please, for the love of this bird, get it to an Avian Vet right away. Have the Vet show you what and how to feed this bird properly. Improper feeding (weaning) can cause a host of problems now and later - including death.

I am relatively near you.
Here are a couple of excellent Avian Vets:

Dr. Harris - 305-234-BIRD (2473)
Avian Exotic Animal Medical Center
12125 S. Dixie Hwy; Miami, FL, 33156
http://avianexotic.com/

Dr. Kelleher - 954-968-7171
Broward Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital
611 NW 31st Ave., Pompano Beach, FL, 33069
[url=http://www.exoticanimalcare.com/
http://www.exoticanimalcare.com/[/url]

Have a pen & paper ready in case you're calling after hours and need to take down the emergency number![/b]

Let us know how things go, and PLEASE get in touch with me privately and tell me who the breeder is. parrotphotos.us@gmail.com I want you to know that you have a couple of us sort of near you who will be willing to help out. Just let us know.

Lynne

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#54593 - 04/12/06 10:10 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Fourthing (?) the vet suggestion. At seven weeks, the baby will sleep a lot (well over 12 hours a day) but should also spend time upright and alert. How well do you know how to hand feed and wean a baby parrot? It's difficult and at seven weeks, your baby cockatoo is nowhere near being able to eat independently.
I'd suggest that you head to an avian vet and get advice on what to feed the baby and how to feed it.

I recommend seeing a vet because, unfortunately, it sounds like your breeder is doing everything wrong. Baby parrots especially should not be sold at the age of seven weeks to unexperienced hand feeders, as properly hand feeding baby parrots isn't easy, and cockatoos are the most sensitive and difficult to wean parrots of them all. Also, raising a baby cockatoo in total isolation from other baby parrots and its parents is not a good idea, even though almost all parrot breeders do it. They are, however, ignoring a lot of basic animal behavior principles. What happens when a baby parrot is raised in isolation from its siblings and parents is that you get a parrot that is 100% imprinted on people and has no idea how to act like a bird. This makes for friendly, cuddly baby parrots, but once the parrot hits maturity, it directs all sexual and territoral behaviour onto humans. The result is a badly maladjusted adult parrot that has no idea what to do with itself.

Anyway, what's done is done, but to give your parrot a chance at being a happy adult, please read all you can about cockatoo parrot behaviour. Back issues of Companion Parrot Quarterly might help you out, and check out A Guide to Companion Parrot Behavior by Mattie Sue Athan. Head to the vet and be sure that you're feeding this little cockatoo correctly if you're not sure. A vet will also be able to tell you if your baby is in good health (something people on an internet board won't be able to do if they can't see your bird). Do a google seach on "Abundance Weaning" as well, to learn how to wean your baby correctly when the time comes.

Garnet

#54594 - 04/12/06 11:12 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
kylie Offline
Lives Here
kylie  Offline
Lives Here

United Kingdom
Poor little thing, this is actually the youngest too I have read about. Like some of us you have got the too after listening to the breeder and then found Mytoos afterward. People on here might sound abit harsh but they do know what they are talking about, sounds like you are gonna need all the help you can get. Good luck!

#54595 - 04/12/06 11:16 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Our Too is living proof that this is true!

Quote:
What happens when a baby parrot is raised in isolation from its siblings and parents is that you get a parrot that is 100% imprinted on people and has no idea how to act like a bird. This makes for friendly, cuddly baby parrots, but once the parrot hits maturity, it directs all sexual and territoral behaviour onto humans. The result is a badly maladjusted adult parrot that has no idea what to do with itself.
Lynne

#54596 - 04/12/06 11:33 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Jason Paszkiewicz Offline
Jason Paszkiewicz  Offline

Maryland
Lourdes, Do the breeder even tell you the bird needs to be handfed or did he say it was weaned?? Handfeeding can be tricky if you have never done it before!! The temperature has to be right on, not to hot or to cold. To hott... crop burn!! To cold.. the food is no warm enough to digest and can cause crop stasis, where the food rots in the crop!! For sure seek out an avian vet. in the nearest area ASAP!! I too have never heard of such a young too or any large parrot, being sold soo young!! Good Luck and remember we are all here to help you!

#54597 - 04/12/06 11:47 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Unfortunately, it's not uncommon in Miami. I would bet as a result of this breeder's behavior there have been some angry buyers, heartbroken families and dead birds. These are living creatures - not toys to be thrown away.

I would really like to know who this breeder is. These types of people should be exposed for what they truly are. They exploit living creatures for profit without one iota of care for those bird's lives. I hope to hear from Lourdes soon, and I hope our words of advice (SEE A VET) are taken seriously before something bad happens.

Lynne

#54598 - 04/12/06 11:51 PM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I would try for a refund also. Print out this page and take it with you. This person is, at best, unethical. I hope this gets out into the avian community because these people have no respect for intelligent avian life. This baby chick does need a vet immediately, however. Please keep us informed! angry

#54599 - 04/13/06 12:20 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
emmy Offline
emmy  Offline

US
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take Corky to an avian vet--ASAP. We also bought our Emmy (goffin) from a breeder about 13 years ago and he kept stringing us along about how to take care of her. Everything turned around when we got her to a good vet and she received excellent care and we got excellent advice. We were also told that she would always be a sweet, quiet bird. NOT! but we love her anyway. If the breeder really cared about Corky he would have recommend an avian vet when he sold Corky to you.

#54600 - 04/13/06 01:34 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
The breeder is nothing but a money loving crook, shyster and heartless killer of birds. It's a shame that people like that breath good air.

Purchasing a baby in the hopes that it will act any different in the long run than an abused bird is one of the biggest lies in the industry. As many handfed birds have been given away as any other.

Please dont waste time as this baby suffers at the hands of the shameless (breeder) and the inexperienced...

#54601 - 04/13/06 02:05 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Sheal Offline
Sheal  Offline

Brampton, Canada
It was stated that the breeder doesn't care, why would she want to bring him\her back to a breeder that doesn't care about the welfare. He's just going to resell the feather-baby (I call them babies because they are like children, it's a lifelong committment we are talking about here, I even call my dog a fur-baby). I say take that 'too to a rescue center where it WILL be cared about and loved until it is old enough and then either adopt it out or adopt it back. NEVER buy from a pet store or breeder, they are bird mills and nothing but bird mills..to them the bottom line matters (money walks and talks to them) not the little life that they are destroying. When they are laying down in the bottom of their cage it can mean alot of things, most likely hypothermia, the baby isn't warm enough and is losing heat, means his core temp has gone below the tolerable levels, you have to remember these birds are "tropical". They come from Australia, it's hot 365 days a year there, they are supseptible to colds, and drafts aren't good for them. Take that feather-baby to an avian vet ASAP, as in NOW or you are going to lose that baby.

Sheal

#54602 - 04/13/06 02:31 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Quote:
why would she want to bring him\her back to a breeder that doesn't care about the welfare
If a breeder can be persuaded to give the money back and take the bird back, it may plant a seed in his mind. Not many will because they have money in their grubby hands. The older the chick is, the harder it is to sell. It may make him think "Is this worth it?" A chick may be sacrificed for the good of the ones that MAY follow. The line has to be drawn somewhere and if this chick is not picked up soon by someone who really knows the score, it has very dim future prospects. Tough deal, huh? The best cared for of these birds is living half a life anyway.

#54603 - 04/13/06 02:35 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Sheal Offline
Sheal  Offline

Brampton, Canada
That's not the way I see it, these people don't give two flying cr@ps about these little lives, think about it, how long has he been a breeder? Probably long time, doesn't care one way or another. He still makes his money reselling the bird from his bird mill either to a pet store in "bulk" with other little feather-babies or to an individual who doesn't know any better and can be scamed. Bottom line, he makes money doing this indecent, inhumaine and should be illegal act anyway, he doesn't care.

Sheal

If a person can save just one life, even ONE then it justifies the meaning of their life to save that one life. It starts one life at a time. I don't find it justifiable to "sacrifice" one life for the good of many. One sacrifice leads to another and then another and another...one life is one too many for me personally.

#54604 - 04/13/06 02:46 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I see you're involved in "child abuse" and "child welfare". Apples and oranges. I not going to address children, obviously, but Cockatoos are "wild animals" and the best life we can provide is less than what they need. I really don't want to say any more about it at this time because this thread may be of use to Lourdes; but I'd like to!

#54605 - 04/13/06 02:56 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Sheal Offline
Sheal  Offline

Brampton, Canada
If you would like to discuss it more, I am happy to PM back and forth. Don't get me wrong, Cockatoos deserve so much more than we can give them but like mytoos.com says that just is not going to happen, people are going to keep buying or adopting these animals without the knowledge that it requires and you're right child rights are different from animals rights. Mother Nature ment for her animals to be wild and free, but if we can help just one, even one little life we have that obligation to do so. If you noticed in another post, I am also an animal rights activist as well. Our animals are our future, without them our ecology would fail miserably! Cockatoos were ment to be in the wild as any other animal but the "high and mighty" human being does not fathom the repurcussions (sp?) of its actions and choses to destroy what we have 99.9% of the time as a species. I too will chose to stop here because you are right, this thread should be more of use to Lourdes rather than a battle ground of opinions and thoughts, if you want email me and we can go from there, I would welcome your thoughts anytime not because I want to "fight" about it but a good natured debate is my middle name.

#54606 - 04/13/06 03:48 AM Re: Baby Cockatoo Behavior  
Linus&Nancy Offline
Linus&Nancy  Offline

Asheville, NC
Lourdes, you have you're hands full to say the least. And i thought linus was young at 6 months when i got him. Guys.. corky has been placed. what is done is done..Lourdes..get that baby to a vet as soon as you can... get the vet to show you how and what to feed corky. go in the past forums on here and search hand feeding..weaning...and everything you can about a baby. The people here are very knowledgable about these guys.. and can help a great deal. you need right now to sit down and think... do you have to time to devote to this baby, if you do, proceed and get all the help and info you can about feeding him. if you cant, then do as they have said and ask the breeder for a refund. people like that, in my book..should be shot.
now,if you are determined to keep this little guy, then you must be responsible and read and learn just as much as you can about the breed, the behaviour, feeding etc and responsible care of them.it can be a pure blessing, but it can also be a hellish nightmare. good luck and let us know how the lil guy is, and how he is progressing. people here dont forget about the feathered ones, so im sure everyone will be waiting to get updates from you. good luck!
linus and nancy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny