Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53760 - 02/23/06 06:58 AM Help Screems at bed time  
Anisja310 Offline
Anisja310  Offline

Canada
My parents bought a goffin too from a cupoule that what to find him a new home because there working alot more & he started to break his feathers off not pluck!.all we know about him is he's 2 the type of food he eats,his name and that at his old house they didn't cover his cage like we do,and his's really jumpie but he love's to be petted,likes to dance and play with his toys he's been with them 4 days and the only thing that's ungood is after we put him to bed he scream's for a hour-hour & 1/2 and when he hears some get up even if it the middie of the night.On the down side we live in apartment
any thought or ideas? Anisja310@gmail.com

#53761 - 02/23/06 02:19 PM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I had the problem for years too. Something that really helped with my birds, I had three, was to give them a feeding about 30 minutes before lights out. I would spend time with them, playing, talking, cleaning. After that I would give them a filled bowl of a few seeds and whole nuts. They would eat then settle in. Then I could go in, turn out the lights, and they were quiet and gone to sleep. Hope this works for you, it did for me.

#53762 - 02/23/06 03:46 PM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
Alberts Mom Offline
Alberts Mom  Offline

Antelope Valley, CA
OK I had this experience (mind you I have only had my Goffin for about 3-4 months) but whenever I would cover him he would scream. the previous owners said he was afraid of the dark. So, First I bought a really dim night light and put it outside of his cage and I put a cover on his cage (just covering a tiny portion) I would then talk to him and go to bed. Every night I would cover him a bit more and then same talking routine, eventually he was fine with 100% cover and a dim night light. Then one day the night light broke and he didn't care. Haven't heard him make a fuss since. My experience with my guy is that he is AFRAID of everything including his own shadow for a bit, but with persistance he comes around. Example, I spend a bloody fortune on toys for him and everytime I give him a new one he acts afraid of it for about 3-4 days, just enough to almost make me take it away but then a switch goes off in his head and its the best toy ever. Good luck with your new bird and just go really SLOW!

#53763 - 02/23/06 04:40 PM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
Tsuki Offline
Tsuki  Offline

Switzerland
Quote:
he started to break his feathers off not pluck
Unless I am mistaken this is called feather snapping. Our too did this and it seemed that it was done only to feathers that seemed imperfect to her. Are you using a humidifier near your bird? In winter this is really important. He also needs to be misted.

Our bird was never covered before we got her but even when we did cover her intially it was not totally dark. Alberts Mom has the right idea...start slowly with the cover.

#53764 - 02/23/06 08:27 PM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
Some nice warm oat meal before bedtime might soothe your bird a bit. I think birds really thrive on routine. So, as Elliott suggested, establishing a routine before bedtime might help your bird to wind down. Have some play time, some quiet time, something to fill his belly and then off to bed. Structure and a predictable schedule may help him to settle down. When I reread this, it sounded like I was writing about a child. They're so alike! laugh

#53765 - 02/23/06 09:03 PM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
Chuckledoo Offline
Chuckledoo  Offline

south carolina
chuckles has a different room to sleep in.If he sees any light he will scream any light,or hears us moving around.

#53766 - 02/23/06 10:26 PM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here
Belongs2Sammy  Offline
Lives Here

Chuckledoo brings up a good point. Make sure the area he's sleeping in is quiet, away from the busy parts of the house and dark. They are very light sleepers. Sammy also "wakes up" and whines/screams if he hears the slightest noise.

#53767 - 02/23/06 10:46 PM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. After dinner and play time, Lilly goes to sleep everynight on the couch with me while we snuggle (around 7ish). After she falls asleep, I sneak out from underneath the blanket ( so I can go check email, do chores, or whatnot) and she stays under the blanket sleeping for another hour or so, then around 9ish I get her up, give her kisses,put her in her cage and cover her up in her room...and she never makes a peep ( I leave the door cracked so I can hear her just in case)! As SOON as she heres me get up in the a.m. (6:30ish), she starts peeping until I get her for her morning cuddles with me under the blanket on the couch until I have to start getting ready for work. I love her so much!!

#53768 - 02/24/06 12:12 AM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
aaaawww, kim that's so sweet! smile

#53769 - 02/24/06 06:49 AM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
Anisja310 Offline
Anisja310  Offline

Canada
thanks everyone for all your thought & ideas I'll give them a try.I have another question has anyone here ever seen a Parrot with a band below the ankle just behind the toes that point toward the tail? I don't think I ever have,we're taking him to the vet for a full check up tomorow. I'll see what he has to say too and let you know.

#53770 - 03/02/06 01:13 PM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
Tsuki Offline
Tsuki  Offline

Switzerland
Quote:
thanks everyone for all your thought & ideas I'll give them a try.I have another question has anyone here ever seen a Parrot with a band below the ankle just behind the toes that point toward the tail? I don't think I ever have,we're taking him to the vet for a full check up tomorow. I'll see what he has to say too and let you know.
So, what did the vet say? How is the screaming at bedtime? I know many feel that quiet is the right environment. Maybe we have an unusual Too, but she sleeps a lot and it is anything but quiet. We have an active household and noisy, with three dogs. When Tsuki is tired she says "bed tired" and if I don't cover her, she gets quite mad. Once covered she talks to herself, and we can hear her eat pellets. I don't know how she manages to sleep through the dogs' dinnertime, but she does. She is covered with a thick blanket, so it is pretty dark. Sometimes we hear her talking in the middle of the night, but then she goes back to sleep. In the morning she doesn't wake up until well after everyone else. The room she sleeps in is between the kitchen and living room so it's not quiet. I think she has grown accustomed to the everyday household sounds, so she can sleep. But the other morning, a delivery person rang the doorbell at 8 am. Tsuki likes to sleep in and boy was she mad angry She started screaming and since we have a camera and intercom (this is standard in Japan - it kicks in once the doorbell rings) even the delivery man heard her shrieking. eek Poor guy. This is his regular route so he knows about the dogs. As they say with people, it was like she got up on the wrong side of the bed and she was in a foul mood for the entire day. angry
Just one more thought, for those of you with children, if you tiptoed around the house and kept things very quiet when you put your babies to bed, did you notice that as they got older they were not very sound sleepers?

#53771 - 03/02/06 02:18 PM Re: Help Screems at bed time  
PuffsDaddy Offline
Lives Here
PuffsDaddy  Offline
Lives Here

Tsuki - same here and agree! Noise no issue (unless unusual and unexpected, i.e. doorbell), but turn on a light and wham - evil bird wakes up to flip and flop around and scream like he is being stalked by a hawk! Puff broke a blood feather doing this one evening, fortunately we figured it out before we went to sleep. His crys were different. My Macs don't react this way - they whisper greetings or swing toys, bob heads, etc. My Toos just freek out. Poor guys!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny