Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 68 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51860 - 09/26/05 08:12 PM Bobby may have PBFD  
CockatooBobby Offline
CockatooBobby  Offline

Bobby has been to the vets today as he has been losing feathers. The vet thinks he may have PBFD and has taken a blood sample for testing. We should get the results in a few days but in our heart of hearts we know that is what it is as he is showing all the symptoms. We are completelt devastated - we have only had him for 6 months and although there have been some tough times with him, he has got such a personality. It is going to be a tough choice of what to do for the best if we find out he has got PBFD. We also have a cockatiel and I am so scared that she will get it as well. The vet thinks she should be ok as their cages are not next to each other and they don't get too close to each other when they are out but I am so paranoid. At the moment I feel completely angry at the place where we got him from as he must of had the disease when we got him. The good thing is that he seems completely normal and happy and he got his revenge on the vet today by taking a big chunk of skin from her hand angry

#51861 - 09/26/05 10:52 PM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
Heidi Girl Offline
Heidi Girl  Offline

Florida
I am just curious, when you say loosing feathers, where exactly is he loosing them? Is it his tail feathers, or is he going bald?

#51862 - 09/27/05 12:00 AM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
King Les Offline
Lives Here
King Les  Offline
Lives Here

Michigan
Here Heidi..
http://www.avianbiotech.com/diseases/pbfd.htm

I can't believe how much we've been hearing about this and PDD lately.

I'm sorry for you and Bobby!! Please keep us updated.

#51863 - 09/27/05 02:45 AM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
flowerchild Offline
Lives Here
flowerchild  Offline
Lives Here

New England
the link king les provided (thanks) had some positive news i didn't expect. some birds can recover, and perhaps maintain a lifelong immunity. i know this is very upsetting and i am sorry you and your bird have to go thru this, but don't despair, try to stay positive- recovery is possible. we'll be watching for reports. i would definately contact the seller and hold them accountable as much as you are able. they're flock should be quarantined, and they should be shut down! who knows how many other birds they have endangered by not testing their flock. can't we just set up a firing squad for the breeders and pet shops that exploit these precious beings? i am so tired of all the sensless suffering they cause. sigh...

#51864 - 09/27/05 08:11 PM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
Let's just hope for the best, Bobby. I found a strange looking feather on Paulie the other night, so I was researching. I never realized that older birds could survive PBFD, but they can. So, even if your bird has it he's still got a chance of pulling through. I also didn't realize how extremely contageous it is! It can be spread through particles in the air like bird dander and dry fecal matter. You really need to be careful around any birds. You never know what you might bring home to your flock. Paulie's wierd feather turned out to be a new one that he had injured somehow as it was developing. I got really scared though. My whole body went numb when I first saw it, and it felt like my knees were buckling.

#51865 - 09/28/05 08:12 AM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
CockatooBobby Offline
CockatooBobby  Offline

If the result is positive I intend to contact the place we got him from and make them pay his vets bills at the very least. I have learnt a lot from this site since we have had Bobby and like a lot of people, I did not see what was wrong with buying a bird. My opinions have changed completely now and myself and my husband are in the process of designing a website about our birds and to warn other people agianst buying a bird. Although we bought Bobby, he was a 2 year old that needed rehoming so I do not feel quite so bad about it. I am just so concerned that so many other birds may be infected if he does has PBFD as when we got him he was in a room with other toos, african greys and amazons so I guess there is a chance that they may have it. We are trying not to think about it too much until we get the test results but it is a long hard wait. We are being extra vigilant with cleaning at the moment for the sake of our tiel. I have been doing a lot of research on the internet and some sites say that tiels cannot get it as they have a stronger immune system and other say that tiels and budgies are the most susceptible so I am not sure what to believe. Bobby is losing feathers in a lot of places, his face, chest and legs. He has also got lots of deformed feathers coming through on his back and he hardly has any dust coming off of him anymore so we are fearing the worst. He is also sleeping a lot more now which is very unlike him as he is usually bouncing around non stop all day. I will keep you posted on any news and in the meantime I am keeping everything crossed for him.

#51866 - 09/28/05 03:13 PM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
cujos_mom Offline
cujos_mom  Offline

North of Toronto, Ontario, Can...
I'm so sorry for what you are going through. Best thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Quote:
We are being extra vigilant with cleaning at the moment for the sake of our tiel. I have been doing a lot of research on the internet and some sites say that tiels cannot get it as they have a stronger immune system and other say that tiels and budgies are the most susceptible so I am not sure what to believe.
If it were me, I would err on the side of caution and quarantine Bobby and the tiel from each other right away. There is research that suggests that a bird who has been exposed to and infected with PBFD, but who is not exhibiting clinical signs of the disease, can mount an immune response to fight it off and eliminate the virus. You can read more about this here:

Link to PBFD Info

#51867 - 09/29/05 03:25 AM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
rooster76 Offline
rooster76  Offline

Hamilton, ON
I wish you and Bobby the very best from the bottom of my heart.

#51868 - 10/03/05 06:51 PM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
CockatooBobby Offline
CockatooBobby  Offline

Great news, we got Bobby's test results today and they were all negative smile There is likely to be something wrong with him but it is nothing serious. We have had an issue with avian vets as the nearest one from us is 2-3 hours drive away. Our vets are great and they get advice from the experts but we have just found out today that there is a new avian vet about 30 minutes drive away so our vet is going to refer us to him. We will take him there as soon as possible to hopefully find out what the issue is and how it can be treated. We are so relieved and happy that he is going to be ok.

#51869 - 10/03/05 06:56 PM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
That's great news! So happy for you!! I just knew he'd be okay. Keep us posted as to what's actually wrong. smile

#51870 - 10/03/05 07:20 PM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Great news! Hope the new vet can sort him out soon! Let us know.

#51871 - 10/03/05 07:53 PM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
King Les Offline
Lives Here
King Les  Offline
Lives Here

Michigan
That's fantastic!! Did your vet give you other possibilities of diseases or conditions that mirror the symptoms of PBFD??

#51872 - 10/03/05 10:00 PM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
CockatooBobby Offline
CockatooBobby  Offline

The vet seemed to think it may be an infection in his feather folicles?

#51873 - 10/04/05 02:47 AM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
flowerchild Offline
Lives Here
flowerchild  Offline
Lives Here

New England
happy, happy news! perhaps it's not so serious after all. good luck with the new vet. i hope all is resolved with a positive result very soon. let us know!

#51874 - 10/04/05 02:32 PM Re: Bobby may have PBFD  
cujos_mom Offline
cujos_mom  Offline

North of Toronto, Ontario, Can...
That's wonderful!! I'm so happy to hear your good news.

Lynda

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny