Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47083 - 01/08/05 04:29 AM Cloacal Prolapse  
frostybird Offline
frostybird  Offline

Lewes, DE
My husband & I rescued a 10 year old Umbrella Cockatoo, Frosty Girl. She has cloacal prolapse and we are working with an Avain Vet searching for the underlying cause. She is fully prolapsed, constantly. This problem has caused the loss of muscle around the vent and when the cloacal is pushed back in, she has no muscle control. Within a short time, she is fully prolapsed again. I've been researching causes & treatments. Diet changes have been made and antibiotics used. Any& all suggestions welcomed.
Surgery could be an option but, we have been told the prolapse may return.

#47084 - 01/08/05 08:06 AM Re: Cloacal Prolapse  
Ron Pack Offline
Lives Here
Ron Pack  Offline
Lives Here

Ohio
Hi there,

Judging from your description, surgery is probably your only option to correcting the prolapse...and finding the cause may not be that easy. .
Here's a good article... maybe you should print off a copy and give it to your vet...

http://www.avianhealthnetwork.info/articles/cloacal.htm

I surely hope there's no plans to try to breed this poor bird... and I only say this because of your profile.

#47085 - 01/12/05 04:23 PM Re: Cloacal Prolapse  
frostybird Offline
frostybird  Offline

Lewes, DE
Thank you Ron for the article. I recently read the article in my search for knowledge. A fecal screen just determined that she has Ecoli. Vet states she could of had it a long time. Now have her on Enrofloxacin for the next two weeks. She is such a GREAT bird and my heart just pours for her. With much patience, I hope we will be able to help her. smile

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny