Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#46785 - 12/23/04 08:57 PM Re: my u2.......help  
snowwhite10 Offline
snowwhite10  Offline

north carolina
Charlie...thanks so much...you all are so good to us.

#46786 - 12/23/04 09:04 PM Re: my u2.......help  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
We are you! wink

#46787 - 12/23/04 09:12 PM Re: my u2.......help  
Lrex Offline
Lives Here
Lrex  Offline
Lives Here

B.C. Canada
Wow Charlie - such quick answers!! smile Derrick, so glad you are asking questions. Keep it up and don't be shy wink

#46788 - 12/23/04 09:18 PM Re: my u2.......help  
snowwhite10 Offline
snowwhite10  Offline

north carolina
Never shy..I go by the trade of ,the only dumb question is the unasked question...

#46789 - 12/24/04 04:39 AM Re: my u2.......help  
snowwhite10 Offline
snowwhite10  Offline

north carolina
Question for all,Snow White has some bad words,over time,will those go away and she pick up our,"I love you's?" Someone taught her "dirty bird" I hate that! I wonder if they understand it? If they do,it could be hurtful to her image of herself.I'm trying,when she says dirty bird to say Pretty Bird. I'm not sure if she told you,but her first and longest owner,(she had her for 5 years,kept her outside in a dog kennal!! She only fed her,no contact.Is it legal to kill people like this? Hahaha
Oh,I rememebered the question I had,her cae has traveled with her.It's a nice big cage,but needs painting.What could I paint it with? Or should I just forget it?
They never gave Snow White chew toys,and she only chews her steel cage.She's runs from wood toys,I'm sure time will cure that ill,but can it hurt her to chew the cage?
Again,thanks to all you great people...

#46790 - 12/24/04 04:47 AM Re: my u2.......help  
snowwhite10 Offline
snowwhite10  Offline

north carolina
bananas and apples are the only fruit she'll eat at present time,she won't touch the stuff I made her from the recipe page.I guess a little work is needed.How often can she have these fresh fruits? They make her poo watery... and yes,they had her on all seed diet,I'm hoping to change that over time.

#46791 - 12/24/04 05:19 AM Re: my u2.......help  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Rust is definately not good, here is a good discussion of paints and powder coats:

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000010

#46792 - 12/24/04 06:12 AM Re: my u2.......help  
snowwhite10 Offline
snowwhite10  Offline

north carolina
Iliked that article...I went searching and realized,that,I will paint this spring or summer...or if my rich uncle kicks the bucket..hahaha

#46793 - 12/24/04 06:16 AM Re: my u2.......help  
snowwhite10 Offline
snowwhite10  Offline

north carolina
another question...wife says they use crisco or lard to keep wrought iron pans form rusting...would crisco hurt Snow White?

#46794 - 12/24/04 06:19 AM Re: my u2.......help  
Ron Pack Offline
Lives Here
Ron Pack  Offline
Lives Here

Ohio
Let me ask a dumb question here... laugh Has Snowwhite been to an avian vet lately?
The reason I ask is because dog kennals and old cages are both reason enough to be concerned about heavy metal poisoning (lead and/or zinc) especially with a bird that is a heavy cage chewer. Also, birds that have been kept outdoors for any length of time should be checked for worms too...so it's possible that she just doesn't feel well enough to play with her toys... eek

#46795 - 12/24/04 06:30 AM Re: my u2.......help  
snowwhite10 Offline
snowwhite10  Offline

north carolina
yes...she was checked out,but I don't know how good this vet is with birds...our friend says real good

#46796 - 12/24/04 06:32 AM Re: my u2.......help  
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
alaska_toos  Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Alaska
IMHO birds do not know what they are saying for the most part. They usually say what they have heard and/or go for the reaction that they get when it is said. I find it easier to ignore what they are saying if it is too offensive or say something that is very similar to what the undesired word is. My kids when they were younger and living at home thought it would be funny to teach my YNA to swear. Tasha (YNA) would say “What the *uck” and I would repeat “What a truck” when the undesired words were said. If this does not work it is best to show no reaction to what the bird is saying and eventually they will not say it as much as they are not getting any response from you. I do have to say though that I have heard my birds say things that have not been said in months or something that has only been said once but months ago. These birds are very intelligent and continue to amaze me.

Have you tried playing with the toys that you are wanting to have Snow White play with? When you do so have them be the best toys that you have ever played with, toos cannot resist the temptation of having someone having more fun than they are. You may even want to try chewing on a similar toy to show them that it is alright. It may be that your bird does not know how to play with toys.

I do not feed fruits to my birds but a couple of times a week. They are very high in sugar. I do however offer veggies on a regular basis. If your bird seems to show no interest in them I would keep offering them, you never know when they will change their mind. My birds will all eat something one day and will not touch it again for weeks. This may include you eating the veggies with the bird and have it be the best thing you have ever eaten. They are much like us when it comes to being in the mood for certain things at times.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke
#46797 - 12/24/04 07:26 PM Re: my u2.......help  
Lrex Offline
Lives Here
Lrex  Offline
Lives Here

B.C. Canada
Derrick:
If your bird is chewing the cage it actually could kill her - depending on what it has been painted with or what it was made from to start with. I don't have that problem with my birds - thankfully. In that type of situation, probably only stainless steel would be safe for her. However, those cages are very, very expensive.

Over time you may be ablel to divert her attention to chewing more appropriate items. I would suggest getting your hands on some natural branches, like willow for example. Introduce them to her and put some in her cage. Make sure that they are clean and not sprayed with anything.

Regarding the "bad words"...One of our boys, Simon, came to us with a bad case of potty mouth. The "F" word and others. Fortunately, over time his use of those words and phrases has diminished. The only time he uses it now is when there is tension or loud voices. I think he originally learned the bad stuff by witnessing his original owners fighting. I am pleased to tell you that he is now saying things like "pretty bird" and "I love you". Simon is an amazing talker though and will repeat any word you say to him - if he likes it. All birds are different. Answering them back when they talk to you or repeating back what they are saying or trying to say does help, in my experience. Patience in this area as with in all manners of problems or behaviours is what really works. smile

#46798 - 12/25/04 02:47 AM Re: my u2.......help  
happybirds Offline
Lives Here
happybirds  Offline
Lives Here

Since no one has responded to Derrick concerning the bird in his mouth.

Please do not allow Snow White to pick your teeth or go into your mouth. First the obvious reason - she could cause GREAT dammage if she decides to hold on. But secondly, and really most importantly, we have bacteria in our mouths that is harmful to birds. You could make her quite ill by allowing this behavior.

And to complete the topic, cat saliva as well as dog saliva is quite dangerous to them as well.

So, no swapping body fluid with the bird

The no direct eye contact is also quite important for all the reasons set forth.

Also, this may or may not happen. I have 7 Cockatoos. Some of them are exactly who they are from the day they come to you. Others are sweet hearts for about a month, and then start challenging you. If this happens it is most important to maintain your flock position - if it happens we can talk about it then. Anyway, at about 6 months, most of them start to settle down into their place in the flock, and the individual that they are (for the most part) going to be, and by one year you usually have the "finished product" as far as who this individual is.

Oh, one last thing - not everyone here is in agreement with this, but I strongly believe that Cockatoos do not belong on the floor. I have found that they get to wired up, and often become agressive chasing and biting feet, and sometimes becoming a little unpredictable. If you choose to play with your bird on the floor, I would suggest using a quilt to set boundries on where they can go and play. Sit with the bird, with toys, and the bird will learn that this area is for running and jumping, and displaying and just being wound up.

#46799 - 12/25/04 05:36 PM Re: my u2.......help  
A Handful Offline
A Handful  Offline

johannesburg - south africa
so little time so many questions eek
i to am the owner of a U2 (=- 6 yrs old) - (not really sure how many previous homes - think i am number 3)
PLEASE be very careful of the kissing - they can send you to the casulty ward in the wink of an eye - been there done that twice shocked
I would suggest that unsless you can guarantee that the paint is lead free and that there will be no blobs in the corners which will be chewed and swallowed that you rather buy new (i think stainless steel is the best for cleaning)
As far as the toys go - lots of wooded toys and harmless tree branchs - hang thenm on the outside of the cage first (they seem to be less fearfull due to the bars seperating them and the toy)and expect them to be sawdust in a short time but them thats what happens in nature.
natural rawhide is also very good.
i find toys that give and can be destroyed are much better than toys that are "indestructable" as they tend to get bored when it does not go their way.
I also speant a lot of time and money on treats until i found out what the most enjoyable was - be prepared for wasteage laugh
i also like the idea of sitting in a chair reading or even just sitting (and having a nap) but as mentioned by others earlier it is important that the whole family develops a relationship with the bird

best of luck
colin

#46800 - 12/27/04 04:39 AM Re: my u2.......help  
snowwhite10 Offline
snowwhite10  Offline

north carolina
Great advice folks..thanks you all are the greatest..

#46801 - 01/20/05 09:05 PM Re: my u2.......help  
snowwhite10 Offline
snowwhite10  Offline

north carolina
can someone tell me how to read Snow Whites bracelett?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny