Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45226 - 08/20/04 09:06 PM transition from outdoor to indoor bird  
scoutkj Offline
Lives Here
scoutkj  Offline
Lives Here

Hendersonville NC
I recently adopted a second U2. He had been a breeder for a while, then sold to a couple in TN who kept him outside in their garage in a home-made wire cage for three years. I really love his personality. He is extremely calm and surprisingly trusting. I didn't have any anxiety about bringing him into our flock because he is not a needy bird in the usual way. I didn't think he would be so seemingly scared of being indoors, though I can't believe now that I didn't consider it. I don't know if the things I think he needs are actual needs of his. What I mean is that I am used to cockatoos displaying at least twice a day, being vocal (talking, singing, etc)throughout the day, and moving around. 'Zilla (new U2) just sits there. He is sooooooo quiet it is a little unsettling. Now I am aware that most people would think this is nice, but to me this looks like he is not happy. So I have changed my way of thinking about him from a "very independent bird" to a "very needy bird" because I think he needs confidence and other things. Is it a bad time to start clicker training?? Am I projecting onto him feelings he doesn't have or ...??????? Can anyone provide feedback?

#45227 - 08/20/04 09:10 PM Re: transition from outdoor to indoor bird  
brody Offline
Lives Here
brody  Offline
Lives Here

What's recently? How long has the bird been living with you?

If you are an experienced clicker trainer go ahead and train if he is interested.

Birds take time to adjust to change - keep it positive and go one day at a time

I'm sure it'll all work out just fine

cheers

brody

#45228 - 08/21/04 12:32 AM Re: transition from outdoor to indoor bird  
db Offline
db  Offline

Sarasota FL
I rescued my SC2 - he didnt make a sound for several months. I was even beginning to think all the stuff I had read about 'toos noise was bogus or exaggerated!! Anyway once he apparently decided I was safe and wasnt going to hurt him he began to become more confident and happier and began making noise and eventually displaying etc...he was v neglected and ill at first w/severe malnutrition so a lot of it may have been that he felt ill or weak too. Maybe you should have your 'too checked out by a vet. Eventually mine became "normal" and made noise and now he is happy and healthy!!
db

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny