Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#43040 - 03/23/04 03:06 PM Re: A Hard Lesson Learned  
Maria Offline
Maria  Offline

Cocoa, FL
Beverly,

Bongo came to you and you were the right person and it was the right time for both of you. You were indeed blessed to have been able to share your home with him. Please don't feel bad about rehoming him. Maybe he has something he needs to share with someone (or some bird) right now. As caretakers and guardians of these birds, it's our responsibility to see that they get what they need.

I'm sure you gave him a wonderful home. You sound like a loving, caring and concerned person. Bongo is richer for having spent this time with you and I'm sure he will never forget you, as you will never forget him.

Thank you for sharing your story and your grief. Sharing it allows many shoulders to help carry the burden rather than just your own. And I think you will find you are not alone in rehoming a bird. I had to rehome two birds when my family and I moved out of country for three years. My heart was broken, but now almost a dozen years later, I'm happy to say they're still doing very well with the family that adopted them.

Do visit Bongo and bring him a treat. That way it'll reassure him to know he's loved by everyone that's around him.

#43041 - 03/24/04 12:31 AM Re: A Hard Lesson Learned  
Lei Offline
Lives Here
Lei  Offline
Lives Here

Oklahoma City
Beverly,

Our Lily came from a family that loved her dearly and had handfed her from day 1. However, they had to rehome her and it was heartbreaking. My hubby and I felt like we were stealing someone's child. It took some time but Lily has adjusted to a healthier life with friends. She is beginning to realize she is a bird and not a human baby. She has lots of new feathers and is not mutilating herself anymore. She has even gained weight.

We have not allowed them to see Lily seen she has come to live with us, but we do keep in touch by phone. The reason we don't allow them to see Lily is I don't want her to become confused and feel abandoned. Maybe later this summer after Lily has been here a year, we could arrange a meeting on neutral ground, but for Lily's sake, not yet.

Take comfort in knowing that you made a very difficult decision based on what was in the best interest of Bongo. Being allowed to be a bird with others birds is a wonderful gift you gave him. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Lei

#43042 - 04/04/04 04:48 AM Re: A Hard Lesson Learned  
LindaMcB Offline
LindaMcB  Offline

Australia
Dear Beverly,

take heart that what you did for Bongo was out of love. You found him a wonderful new home that sounds just right. Having to give up a beloved bird is just as bad as having one die...the sense of loss is deep. I hope you can go and see him. Take care and God bless. Linda.

#43043 - 04/15/04 10:42 AM Re: A Hard Lesson Learned  
Paul H Offline
Paul H  Offline

Scottsdale AZ
Beverly,

I have been absent taking care of Kay and getting our new world in order so I just read this tonight. Everyone has allready said what I was thinking. I am so sorry that you had to make that very difficult decision. But you did the right thing for Bongo and that is what counts. I cherished your posts and your replies. I am glad that you will still be a part of our family here. Take care.

Paul H

#43044 - 04/15/04 03:55 PM Re: A Hard Lesson Learned  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Paul,

Thanks so much for your kind words. How are you and Kay doing? We have all been thinking about you here and hope that things are going well. Please keep us updated. You are in my thoughts.

#43045 - 04/15/04 04:07 PM Re: A Hard Lesson Learned  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, Beverly! i am SO sorry! like Paul, i've been gone for awhile. everyone has said it all, already, and i didn't hear the first bit of criticism.
i know how much you loved your little Bongo, and how hard you tried. someone said something that sticks in my mind, and that is that

were it not for you, Bev, Bongo would not be where he is today. you were meant to come into his life, to help him on his way to his forever home.

i have tears in my eyes right now, thinking how your heart is broken. i've never had to give up a bird, so far, but if i ever do, i will think of you, and hope i can be half as unselfish.

please stay in touch, i loved all your stories.

may time heal some of the hurt......linda2

#43046 - 04/15/04 04:58 PM Re: A Hard Lesson Learned  
makinguscrazie Offline
makinguscrazie  Offline

Stafford
Beverly,
Although I am new to the too world I do applaud you for knowing that your too just was not happy and seems to have needed a different enviornment. I had to rehome a timneh about 6 years ago that still tears out my heart. However, I did it due to my Mom awaiting a lung transplant. I had to rehome 2 animals and it still weighs heavy on my heart although I know they both got great homes. Kudo's for you for doing what is right for your bird and not yourself. I know you will hear you should have done this, you should have done that, but the fact being you did what is right for you both in the end.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny