Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40395 - 10/17/03 06:50 PM Projectile  
Buffy Offline
Lives Here
Buffy  Offline
Lives Here

Missouri
Do Cockatoos tend to have sensitive stomachs? I've been trying to get Gracie more comfy with laying on her back (in the crook of my arm), and never after she's eaten, but noticed her throwing up about 10 minutes later.
This happened twice today. I had not fed her yet, so the vomit was a little bit of clear gel-looking stuff with some leftover pellet mush she must have been munching on.

#40396 - 10/17/03 09:05 PM Re: Projectile  
jojo Offline
jojo  Offline

San Francisco
Why do you need to have her comfy with being on her back? IMHO it is not a normal position for a bird, if she tried it and liked it that's one thing, but it sounds like you are trying to get her to do something (1) she does not want to do and (2) is causing problems for her. Zeus (6 yr male U2) has never vomited.

#40397 - 10/17/03 09:52 PM Re: Projectile  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
Cockatoos are not supposed to be vommiting unless it is of a "feeding nature" which yours is too young to be doing.

#40398 - 10/17/03 10:06 PM Re: Projectile  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

I agree with jojo and M2mom, why do you think she should be on her back...unless she likes it??..thats not a natural position for a bird...and vomiting is not a normal occurance, if shes not regurgitating, she needs to be seen by a vet.

#40399 - 10/19/03 06:24 AM Re: Projectile  
Buffy Offline
Lives Here
Buffy  Offline
Lives Here

Missouri
Wow, thanks for the info. I'm still amazed at how much conflicting information there is out there on avian rearing! My vet was actually the one who asked me if I'd accustomed her to rolling over yet; said it made for less stressful veterinary visits & maintenance. (?!?) So I'd been trying to cradle her in the crook of my arm, and she'll allow me to roll her over, albeit reluctantly.

She hasn't vomited since, and does not seem sick in any other way, but will continue to keep an eye one her. Thanks again for the info.

#40400 - 10/19/03 02:58 PM Re: Projectile  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
Buffy I also have all my birds accustomed to lying on their back for the exact reason you quoted BUT IMHO you are starting too soon in your relationship w/ her. You need to develop a stronger bond w/ her before trying un-natural "tricks" (for lack of a better word). Your bird has had a rough start in life; breeder, to you, to vet for meds, struggle w/ you over meds, back to breeder to stay for meds, back to you ! Now you will be leaving on a trip. I suggest to you to just bond w/ her for know and after you get back from your trip. After a time of bonding than start building w/ some trust exercises, leaving the laying on her back for a later time. Laying on the back is the position a predator/rival in a fight would have the bird in so there MUST be a bond of trust before going that step. Once they trust you its not that difficult to do. Peaches my 1 M2 decided she likes to be on her back and I have to be on guard when holding her because she will suddenly "fall" back wards deciding she wants to lay down and I must be quick to catch her, LOL. If during the exercise you ever "let your bird down" by allowing her to fall, slip, etc.. Back your practices back up to re-establish the trust. It may take time to get to that level of trust, I have not even attempted it w/ Liberty, a rehomed M2 I have had since July but we are working w/ other trust building exercises.

#40401 - 10/19/03 05:19 PM Re: Projectile  
LindaK Offline
Lives Here
LindaK  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
Buffy, just wanted to point out that birds do not have a diaphragm and are unable to breathe properly when on their back for any length of time. Short moments are ok only.
Hope that makes you understand the anatomy and therefore the response of your bird.
LindaK

#40402 - 10/20/03 02:04 AM Re: Projectile  
Buffy Offline
Lives Here
Buffy  Offline
Lives Here

Missouri
M2Mom, thank you once again for the wealth of information you provide. I have read up on cockatoos so much (sometimes I think too much) and something I read stuck in my mind - that there was a limited "window of opportunity" soon after taking a bird home where one was to set a pattern for the future, etc. It helped to be reminded that she is just a baby and in need of love, reassurance, and bonding before training.

And Linda, the info on the diaphragm makes sense now. Thank you guys for sharing wisdom - I'm sure Gracie is even more grateful! ;-)

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny