Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39581 - 08/04/03 04:28 AM Stress Meter  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
I have added a page to Mytoos to help you understand a little more about your bird and the stress they go through. Graphics always help I think.

http://www.mytoos.com/stress.html

#39582 - 08/04/03 02:56 PM Re: Stress Meter  
Vijay Offline
Vijay  Offline

Canada
I wish this topic was placed in a more important forum closer to the top.

This is excellet work/efforts. Thanks to everyone for their efforts in this regard. I knew what stressed my birds. However, knowing the difference in their intensity understanding their cumulative effect will greatly help me understand/treat my birds better.

Warm Regards,

Vijay smile

#39583 - 08/05/03 01:43 AM Re: Stress Meter  
linda2 Offline
linda2  Offline

florida
where is it? linda

#39584 - 08/05/03 02:44 AM Re: Stress Meter  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Click on the link above on the first post.

#39585 - 08/07/03 02:12 AM Re: Stress Meter  
LynnD Offline
LynnD  Offline

Ohio
I'm trying to understand your theory and put it into what I do know about raising parrots and it's not computing.

So, correct me if I'm wrong.

If your theory is correct then the more things on your meter, the more stress the bird is under and the more likely a bird will pluck. If you take out the no brainers (health issues because I have no doubt that the people on this board with pluckers know how to feed a good diet and provide good medical care for their birds)

You are left with kids, animals, hormones, captivity, seperation anxiety, new baby, and new objects. So, if a bird was exposed to all of these factors, it would have a good chance at plucking?

What bothers me most about this is that a properly raised bird wouldn't find most of these things stressfull. However each persons opinion of properly raised is differant I think there is a lot of holes in the stress meter.

Lynn

#39586 - 08/07/03 04:19 AM Re: Stress Meter  
Jerry Offline
Founder
Jerry  Offline
Founder
Lives Here

Ohio Valley
Quote:
..a properly raised bird wouldn't find most of these things stressfull.
Of course you're right. PROPERLY is the magic word however. Most of the cases we talk about aren't properly cared for. They may even start out properly cared for but then become neglected.

More importantly... the meter is NOT to show what causes plucking because that could be another 50 things that aren't even in the graphic. The point of the meter is to show that birds can accept a certain amount of stress.. no matter what it is.
But once over "the line" with just one more stressful situation... and the bird plucks. It may be 3 really stressful things... or 20 small stresses that add up. Just one more thing and that's all it takes. Remove that one thing (or any of them) and your bird "may" stop... depending on how soon you act.

#39587 - 08/09/03 11:47 PM Re: Stress Meter  
LynnD Offline
LynnD  Offline

Ohio
Quote:
PROPERLY is the magic word however. Most of the cases we talk about aren't properly cared for. They may even start out properly cared for but then become neglected.
I'd sure like to see more emphasis on proper raising then. It's all fine and dandy to know that stress can cause plucking, it doesn't take a PHD to figure that out but information I see totally lacking is HOW TO PROPERLY RAISE a cockatoo. Tried and true methods coming from people who have had these birds in their homes from the start to beyond the age of 10 and their bird is well adjusted. I surely cannot be the only one in the world who has birds this long.

Lynn

#39588 - 08/10/03 05:53 AM Re: Stress Meter  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
Lynn,
We'd ALL like to see more emphasis placed on PROPER CARE & RAISING. I'm referring to "New" bird sellers/breeders, not this site. This is one of the few places where I know a spade will be called a damned shovel, if that's what it takes to get the point across.
Unfortunately, many/most of us here have the cockatoos that have been "through the mill"... usually more than once. My birds have been with me 5,8,& 14 years, I am owned by 4 birds! smile Both cockatoos have had previous homes, my beloved Moluccan has had 5 & my Goffin girl 2!! Yes, both Toos have "Issues".

#39589 - 08/10/03 07:19 AM Re: Stress Meter  
Ginger Offline
Ginger  Offline

Dallas/Ft. Worth area, Texas
Hello Jerry and everyone!

I visited the stress meter page. My first thought was "But, how many of us can provide ideal circumstances for our 'toos?" I know I can't. I battle chronic major depression; I am disabled, unable to work or to have much of a social life. I know my illness causes Eden some stress. So, do I give her up? find a new home for her that may turn out to be even more stressful for her than mine?

Eden is the center of my life, my raison d'etre. If I was to rehome her I would worry myself sick about how she was doing. And, without Eden in my life I'm not sure I would be able to drag myself out of bed any more. Is it better to keep a 'too in a less than perfect but loving, committed home or do all of us who can't provide our 'toos a stress-free home life give them up? This is something I've struggled with for several years. I've come to the conclusion that even though I'm not a perfect human companion and can't provide Eden with a perfect stressless home I made a life-long commitment when I brought her home to love and care for her to the best of my ability.

Thank you for the information. It will help me to be more aware of the environment my T2 is "stuck" living in. I try very hard to always be happy and smiling for Eden. I will work harder to make her life less stressful.

Ginger&Eden

#39590 - 08/10/03 10:06 AM Re: Stress Meter  
Eva Offline
Eva  Offline

Australia
Hi Ginger!
I think you understand the message perfectly. wink
None of us can provide our birds with a 'Perfect Home', they are meant to be free without the stresses us humans provide.
I believe the stress meter is great & a good guide to represent what kind of impact our lives have on our birds. It is easier to convey this in a graphic form so more people 'get the idea'.
I have also had birds(2's)for many years & only 1 plucks (so far.) I believe I am very lucky in this regard & because I also know that my well adjusted, easy going, raised to the best of my ability 2's, could pluck or mutilate on any given day. I don't take their lovely feather condition for granted. It doesn't mean they are 100% happy or content to be caged. eek
I wish you the best with Eden & I believe she is fortunate to have you.. laugh

Eva...... smile

#39591 - 08/10/03 10:51 AM Re: Stress Meter  
Gloria Offline
Gloria  Offline

Portland, OR
This is kind of funny. A friend of mine developed a similar feather-picking chart, but based on an allergy chart that she uses. She developed the chart (well, line graph really) by herself several years ago. I guess great minds really do think alike. laugh

#39592 - 08/10/03 09:02 PM Re: Stress Meter  
Sheila's Mom Offline
Sheila's Mom  Offline

Roseville CA
I think what Jerry was trying to convey here was a tool to use to show the different stress levels a bird can go through. I don't think he was saying that a bird has to have a "Perfect" home envioroment. If a bird was to have a "Perfect" home envioroment, it would be in the wild as nature intended. But since our birds are not in the wild, it is our responsibility to meet as many needs as possible to make their lives worthwhile and fulfilled. If that is 5,6,7,10 or 20, you do what you can do. From reading this message site, I feel Jerry thinks highly of you people who have taken in and rescued neglected Cockatoo's that have lived in deplorable conditions and need a lot of TLC to get them back to enjoying life and wanting to wake up each morning. I myself have just one Cockatoo, and she is a handful all by herself. In my situation, I could not take in another bird of any species right now, but I sure do applaud those of you that have. Your actions, patience and committment to these birds is outstanding. No matter how much we can provide for our birds, (every household & situation is different) it sure is better than a bald Cockatoo (or any bird) locked in a garage in the dark all by itself. Hat's off to you guy's.
Sheila's Mom smile

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny