Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 87 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37563 - 01/29/03 07:36 PM gaining weight?  
Corella Offline
Corella  Offline

Fairfield CA
Hi all,Rosie,my BE2 has been in season now for about two weeks now,and she is not eating as good as I would like her to,is this normal?I had her at the vets office just last monday for her yearly exam which came out good.We're still waiting on labwork but do'nt expect any problems.What I'm concerned with is that she has lost alittle weight,vet says she needs to excersize her breast muscles and build more mass but other than that she's in great shape.She weighed in at 350grams,I would like to see her at closer to 400grams,what do you guys think?Iv'e been letting her wings grow out and she has started to fly again which is great cause she will be excercising those muscles.I thought about mabe feeding her the feed given to new hatched chicks?I don't know what its called having never raised a new born bird but what do you think?
Oh by the way she is just as active and will eat but seems to have something else on her mind and I have to keep on her to eat ,kinda like when my daughters would'nt eat their veggies.Thanks for any input .............
John&Rosie

#37564 - 01/29/03 09:39 PM Re: gaining weight?  
SUNNY Offline
SUNNY  Offline

VALENCIA,CALIFORNIA
Hi John,

I can't offer you much advice about BE2s, but as long as she stays within a normal weight range, you shouldn't worry.You can pick up a postal scale at an office supply scale and mount a perch to it. It won't be as accurate as the vet's but it will help you keep track. Make sure you note the weight of the perch itself and than subtract that from the weight it shows w/ Rosie sitting on it. The distraction you see is probably due to her hormones; it is probably the biggest thought in her head right now; after all the urges have to be strong to allow a species to survive.(Things would soon become extinct if their thoughts were about food or playing; instead of reproduction at these times of the year. Can't you just hear it now; not today dear I'm eating a bannana, laugh )Just keep an eye on her John and things should be fine!

#37565 - 01/31/03 09:33 AM Re: gaining weight?  
Corella Offline
Corella  Offline

Fairfield CA
Hi M2mom,thanks for the info,I got a scale for her and weighed her today,304 grams now,but.......guess what she did last night?The little squirt went and laid two eggs!I guess she'll start eating again good for me when ever she gets back on an even keel.The lab work from the vet all came back normal so I suppose your right,she had other things on her mind.I noticed that tonight I had made beef stew for dinner and she had to have some to,she diggs out the peas,.corn, and potatoes and chowed down pretty good.Rosie is the first bird I have had that laid an egg and truthfully I dont know what else to expect,you think there may be more?I removed the eggs from her cage,one had broke when it hit the bottom but she was'nt interested in them anyway and I read on this forum earlyer that it would be best to remove them if she's not sitting them.She is still wanting to mate,I had hoped once she laid those eggs she would get back to normal,how long is this gonna last?Well one things for sure,I'll know what to expect next time she gets this way.She sure has taught me alot about behaivor and the life cycles they go thrue.Think I'll go to the store and buy a box of wheat germ ,that ought to plump her up.
John&Rosie

#37566 - 01/31/03 11:35 AM Re: gaining weight?  
Eva Offline
Eva  Offline

Australia
Hi John!
My Corella lays each year & it is normally 2 eggs. I remove the eggs & place a dummy egg in her box & she sits on them for a little while until she either gives up on them or loses interest! wink
One year I removed her eggs and didn't place a dummy one as she was not nesting, so she promptly laid 3 more! laugh
She also sheds weight before she lays but makes it back up pretty quickly. My female Corella weighs around 380 & she looks to be in lovely condition, if anything a little chubby!
Most Corellas only lay once a year but there is always the exception to the norm so just keep an eye on her.
Best of luck!

Eva.... smile

#37567 - 02/02/03 08:46 AM Re: gaining weight?  
Corella Offline
Corella  Offline

Fairfield CA
Eva,thanks for the info,I had removed the eggs and today she laid another one right in front of me.I removed it too,but havent thrown it away yet,so I guess I will set her up a little nest and put it in there so she can sit on it.She hasn't shown any intrest in sitting on it but I'll leave it in there for a day or two anyhow.She likes to tuck inside of my shirt when I'm watching TV and thats when she laid the egg.I showed it to her but she did'nt seem too interested in it.Well, that makes three she's laid,Rosie has an appointment with the vet for Monday to get a shot to calm those hormones down do you think I should do that?Boy I'll sure be glad when this breeding season is done,I'm gonna get an ulcer worrying about her.
John&Rosie

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny