This is mostly to Jerry, but if anyone else wishes to add some comments, feel free to do so. I think it's a most interesting subject.

Jerry, I was browsing the site and came across the part where you state that you're available for public discussions on the care and handling of cockatoos. I applaud, this,
and have a question for you -- how do you handle travelling with your 'toos? What steps do you take, and what sort of experiences have you had with them as a result?

The reason I bring this subject up is because I found a good story that Jerry might want to put on the site about travelling with a Goffin cockatoo on an airplane. The story can be found here, courtesy of cockatoos.org :

http://www.cgispy.com/boards/board.cgi?action=display&num=280&user=cockatoos

Just for those who can't or won't go to the site I'll post the story below, but it brings up an interesting point -- how does one travel with a 'too? I myself do not own any birds, but I did not think of what it would be like until recently, especially with Catherine's story of how Moose "escaped" from his cage during the drive home. So how does one deal with these feathered fellows in airports and long drives? Are travel papers always required when going through airports?

Here is the story posted on the site. I just thought Jerry might be interested in this and put it on his site - as far as I could tell, and my apologies if I've missed it, but he doesn't have any information on this yet.

http://www.cgispy.com/boards/board.cgi?action=display&num=280&user=cockatoos

Boo's carry-on adventure

IP: 207.160.232.14
Posted on 03/30/02 at 17:01:50 by Jessie
... not much of one, but thought that if anyone else is thinking of flying with their bird they my find our experience hopeful/helpful.
Departed Monday from St Louis airport. I had Boo (a G2) in a small carryon with an old wool sweather over it. Not many people paid attention and when we went thru security, the guards didn't seem to know what to do. I requested that she NOT be put thru the X-Ray. They made me take off the sweater, run the sweater thru, and they looked thru and checked her out. I got the distinct feeling that they didn't know what the heck they were looking for and part of it was a mixture of fear and awe. They did not ask to see her health/travel papers.
At the terminal (we had arrived 2 hours early), I kept Boo covered and peeked inside to check on her. She kept making body language to be cuddled. I stuck my hand in side the small door and petted my @#$%atoo. This attracted attention from a man sitting across from me who asked if I had a rabbit. I told him that no, it is my over friendly spoiled-@#$%atoo and she likes to be cuddled. Answered the usual curious questions...
Boarding, they did not ask for health/travel papers. The attendents and guards simply remarked to the effect "what an unusual pet".
On the plane, Boo was insecure and still wanted petting. Ofcourse I reached in my hand and reassured her. The lady next to me talked to me about her cats.
Getting out of Buffalo's airport was no problem. The friend who picked me up was surprised I had actually gone ahead and bought Boo north.
The week's vacation was fun....
On the way back thru Buffalo's airport, they made me remove Boo from her travel cage for security. She is a very friendly bird and was glad to be out of the cage. A natural ham, she sensed the attention and jumped on a few people to show off (she is used to going to friends' houses with me where she greets them this way). When she saw the she was going back to her travel cage, she ran as far and as fast as her short legs could get her.
After I got her back in the cage (with the help of an attendant), Boo was the perfect example of good behavior. Evidentally remembering the trip up, she didn't demand as much cuddling and when people peeked under the sweater she occasionally coo'd "@#$%atoo" and "birdy" for them. People in Buffalo were more curious than St Louis and the security was better.
Still, the whole trip, no one asked for her health and travel papers.
I was told by the veterinarian that a copy of those papers are sent to the airlines and state we traveled to.... Not sure... but anyway...
that was our experience with the airlines for what it was worth!