Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 36 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35186 - 03/02/02 05:04 AM you don't want it to happen to your too here is what i say....  
Amanda Offline
Amanda  Offline

Canada,B.C
I may not have a 'too but I have had a conure,

and for a 'too it's just like, Would You leave a 2 year old in a barb wire cage all day while you work? Well then never ever leave yer 'too by himself for such a long time,there doesn't have to be barbed wire in his cage,the thing that would be causing all the damage to himself,would be him,..don't let it happen to your 'too!

#35187 - 03/02/02 09:38 PM Re: you don't want it to happen to your too here is what i say....  
Beeky Offline
Beeky  Offline

Boise, Idaho
There's truth in what Amanda says.. I think the 'ideal' homes for cockatoos (if such a thing exists) are ones in which someone is home all day. I have a home workshop (I'm a parrot toy manufacturer) and so I am home most of the time, my cockatoos are rarely alone for longer than about an hour at a time, sometimes a bit longer if we go out shopping or go to dinner, etc. If our home was like the average 'two working adults who are out all day' kind of home then we would not have cockatoos.

#35188 - 03/03/02 09:32 AM Re: you don't want it to happen to your too here is what i say....  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Well, that's easy to say, but the reality is that in many cases you HAVE to deal with it, and life says that you can't be home 24/7 with your guys. Heck, I'd like to, but then we'd all starve, among other things. When I got Fred the Umbrella, he had been badly neglected, had lived in a small cage with sleeping bags and blankets covering it, and they told me he was "the same kind of bird you already have" (a Greater Sulphur Crested Too...not quite!) and if I didn't come get him the teenage boys were going to throw him out into the snow. Obviously we had to deal with the situation!
What we did, other than the obvious changing diet, changing cage, getting vet care, etc was that when he screamed, he ceased to exist. We turned on our heel and left the room. No yelling or drama. Just completely ignored him. When he was quiet (and in the beginning sometimes that was in 30-second increments) he got fussed over and talked to and cuddled. It took a long time, and isn't completely over. I don't know if he'll EVER be a "normal" bird, as far as noise goes, but then I knew that...but he is quieter, and most of his other behaviour problems have been minimized. He lives for me, and I can do anything with him. He even preens my eyelashes. I haven't been treated to the long, drawn out "Stupid f*ing bird, I hate you, I'm going to break your damned neck, die die die" 10-minute monologues I used to get for a couple years now, and I can't say I miss 'em. He will never EVER trust an adolescent boy again. Any man makes him nervous, actually, though he's grown to tolerate my husband. The compulsive masturbation is down to about once a month...used to be every 1/2 hour when he was out of his cage and on me.
But you learn. And so do they...

Jeanne

#35189 - 03/03/02 07:10 PM Re: you don't want it to happen to your too here is what i say....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't mean to be crude, but do birds really compulsively masturbate? I just didn't think this was bird behaviour. Maybe monkeys, but not birds.

#35190 - 03/04/02 12:31 AM Re: you don't want it to happen to your too here is what i say....  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Yes, they do. I'm talking about the second he gets near me, rubbing his cloaca on me till I end up with fluids on my arm/leg. This DOES happen, and generally happens with birds who have been completely shut away from any type of companionship or contact. My avian vet, and the 2 behaviourists I consulted told me that the best thing to do was to "let it run it's course" rather than try to distract him, as he'd get more distraught if he couldn't do this, working himself up to a total frenzy, and if I let him finish then he'd be fine for a while. Nowadays I get it about once a month. Seriously, for a while there, it was every 1/2 hour when he was out...he was so insecure. He's also extremely tightly bonded to me, and it's mating behaviour.
I figure it's an accomplishment for him to be able to bond to ANYONE or trust ANYONE after his past, and if this is the worst I have to deal with (and it isn't) I'll live with it.

Jeanne
as usual, typing with an umbie on her lap

#35191 - 03/04/02 02:58 AM Re: you don't want it to happen to your too here is what i say....  
Mountainherb Offline
Mountainherb  Offline

Northern California
My daughter rescued this Sulfur from a couple of women who inherited him from their in jail son. He cussed, yelled, pulled his feathers and finally was attacking my daughters boyfriend. He is so bonded with my duaghter to this day.

First thing I did was start to read about cockatoos. I found this site and thought, Im in for a long battle with "Chi". He was sweet, cute but a real screamer when I left the room.

I changed his diet from mostly seed, especially sun flowers with the shell on as I found he gets really hyper. I went out and found him bulk parrot seed to give only in small amounts. He likes to munch these after dinner.

I make him scrambled eggs, fruit, organic oats and seeds for breakfast. He loves getting a spray every day and a full shower 1-2 times a week.

He was naked...opps. Had to stop typing for a !!!Gawk!!! session. Boy can this be ear piercing. Anyway he had no chest feathers, a couple of tail feathers and looked like crap.

I take him to work daily at my herb store. He loves seeing lots of new people, riding in the car and yelling at "Peds". All this stimulation is what I think brought him around. He is such a sweet bird and his first 5 years were spend in bird hell. He was covered up all the time, taken to bars as an attention getter by this blond woman. Im sure by the way she talked about him that he was considered a disposable pet. She started having kids and was afraid that the bird would bit their fingers. I just don't understand why people don't train their kids about animals and respecting them. My mom and dad did. They said if I got bit, it was probably my fault. I learned early to respect and wait for them to come to me.

My point? It has taken a year to get this bird back to health. It is worth every minute, second and hour spent to give him what he needs. Now I have a wonderful, loving and socialized bird that is a joy every day of my life to behold.

It takes patience, education and love to hang in there and help these little guys reform or learn trust again. My bird is leary of guys. He shakes when some come in the shop. I just warn people to not handle him unless he comes down off his playpen and only if HE IS INTERESTED.

I also laugh when people expect him to talk. Does he do tricks? Can he talk? are some of the questions. My reply is I let him be a bird. If he chooses to talk then he will. Chi likes to talk when people are walking away. It is hysterical. When people stand quietly in front of his playpen and check him out quietly he does this back. They tilt their head and so does he. Im never sure who is checking out who.

I just love this bird. He has had 5 owners in his 6 years and has made it through. God bless our little guys.

Blessings Suzanne

#35192 - 03/04/02 04:50 AM Re: you don't want it to happen to your too here is what i say....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand now, it's because he was mistreated untill you, and this is how he reassures himself. I was just wondering if it was a normal behaviour for sexually mature birds, I might have a hard time explaining that to guests!lol I know birds that become extremly bonded sometimes try to mate, but your poor guy has a different set of circumstances. Glad to hear he is doing better!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny