Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34688 - 03/27/02 09:28 PM U2 Behaviour  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

So if anyone has been following the thread about the six year old male U2 I wanted to give a home, I don't think I am going to do it. I just don't have the experience to handle a cockatoo of that size, not to mention he has some behavioural problems caused by trauma. I just don't think I can give him a better home than the one he is in. My heart is not broken, because I know he is in good care with the woman he is with, but I am sad because she cannot give him the proper attention a U2 needs. If anyone out there besides Amanda thinks they can give him the attention he needs, email me and I will tell you all about him. He is about 400 Canadian, and is on Vancouver Island, and does not come with a cage but the woman will get you one at whole sale price. He needs alot of time though, he is scared of people, and will not come out of his cage unless you are not looking. wink

#34689 - 03/28/02 06:00 AM Re: U2 Behaviour  
Miriam Offline
Miriam  Offline

Victoria, BC, Canada
Hello,

Check your email. And I will check my insanity level. I cannot believe that we are even considering this. eek

Oh well, what is one more kid? laugh

Can anyone help us out with a cage for a reasonable price, or trade one slightly used declawed cat? He is kind of cute and does have some redeeming qualities. (don't tell my wife I asked about this). :rolleyes:

Insanely yours,

Peter and Miriam,
Victoria, BC
(also on Vancouver Island like Ivan)

Peter and Miriam,
Victoria, BC
(Vancouver Island also)

#34690 - 03/28/02 06:26 AM Re: U2 Behaviour  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Insanity is relative. You can be insane with birds, but if you have 3 cats you are normal? I think not. I have emailed you a mega message:-)
PS there is an old cage in fflocks for 175-is is metal with two plastic feeder cups-it held that moluccan I told you about, if you can believe it. You will be shocked when you see it, that somone could put a moluccan in it and not have it destroy its feathers, I thought they needed much bigger cages than that.

#34691 - 03/28/02 09:55 PM Re: U2 Behaviour  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, so I gave her yor adress. Don't feel because you are tempted to give a bird in need a home that you are insane. You are just one of the rare, lucky people that can give a 'too a good home. I wish I was ready to give a 'too a home, but I am not.
PS Can the cat do any tricks?lol

#34692 - 03/29/02 12:31 AM Re: U2 Behaviour  
cockatoostreet.com Offline
cockatoostreet.com  Offline

Utah
I just want to horn in here and offer a few words of encouragement. We have taken in 2 Umbies with supposed behavior problems. It does take time to build trust with them, but I can see improvement in both of ours after 18 months.

You just have to be patient and take baby steps with him. First place him in the same room where you spend most of your time so he can watch you. Talk to him softly every once in a while. Then start offering treats that he has to take from your hand. Then try to pet his head.

nyway, we slowly worked on getting to know each other, and I now have 2 very cuddly, loveable birds (still a little skittish). They are still afraid of other people they don't know, but at least they like us.

Good Luck! Cari

#34693 - 04/02/02 09:16 AM Re: U2 Behaviour  
NIGHT_DRAGON Offline
NIGHT_DRAGON  Offline

Indiana
eek
Quote:
You can be insane with birds, but if you have 3 cats you are normal? I think not
Hmmmm...ok what if you have 3 birds and three cats??? whats that make me laugh

#34694 - 04/02/02 09:44 AM Re: U2 Behaviour  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ha Ha, three birds and three cats....must make you balanced. Or bipolar. HAHAHAHAHAHAH laugh smile

#34695 - 04/02/02 10:28 AM Re: U2 Behaviour  
NIGHT_DRAGON Offline
NIGHT_DRAGON  Offline

Indiana
little bit of both I think laugh

#34696 - 04/02/02 05:08 PM Re: U2 Behaviour  
Miriam Offline
Miriam  Offline

Victoria, BC, Canada
Well, if you are following this thread then you will likely want an update.

By the way, this is Peter. So we heard back from Debbie this morning. And, it looks like cockatoo will be coming to live with us in about 3 weeks time. So this will be fun. eek

So just for the record, that will make it 3 cockatoos. A Moluccan, a Lesser Sulphur Crested, and an Umbrella. Well at least I know how to care for an umbrella (read my post).And one mentally challenged cat. laugh

First thing to happen is the television gets voted out of the living room to make way for cockatoo. But that is no loss as we refuse to watch tv anyway. (It is really too hard on marriages, if people only really knew they would all toss out their tvs). wink So the front living room is all birds and stereo equipment. LOL

Anyway we will keep you all posted. Have a great day.

Peter & Miriam

#34697 - 04/02/02 10:55 PM Re: U2 Behaviour  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

CONGRADULATIONS! I think. hee hee. I am glad you took cockatoo in, he will recieve the best of care from you two. What have you learned about his behavioural problems? You guys know which questions to ask, since you have much more bird experience than me. I agree with you about the tv, remote control dominance is a big issue in my family.lol Keep us posted!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny