Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 41 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34675 - 03/25/02 04:23 AM rescue  
Javid Offline
Javid  Offline

california
I have been thinking about rescuing and wanted to know something, if i were to get a baby and give it time everyday after school ( around an hour, most likly more) it would get used to this if its learnded independent skills, but lets say if i adopted a cockatoo would it get used to my schedule or will it want what it was used to having from the previous owner or/and the adoption place?

#34676 - 03/25/02 04:43 AM Re: rescue  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Javid, you need to start going to other members with cockatoos websites. If you think you can keep a cockatoo happy with anything less than 3 hours of attention a day, you are seriously deluded. I cannot get away with giving my tiny greencheek any less than two full hours of attention a day, and she will let me know in many ways if I am not giving her enough attention. Start reading the other posts here, Michael has a great point. Do not adopt a cockatoo unless you are giving it a better home than the one it had before, and if it is used to having someone home all day, you will not be giving it a better home, because you must attend school. It seems to me you still have alot to learn about the general behaviour of birds. Have you looked at mytoos website throughly? Jeneanne(I hoped I spelt that right) Harvey has an Umbrella, and he needs 5 HOURS with them a day. Could you do that? With homework and activities and sports? I just think you should wait untill you have the proper time to spend, don't sacrifice your teenage years.

#34677 - 03/25/02 08:16 AM Re: rescue  
Jeanne Harney Offline
Jeanne Harney  Offline

Toledo OH USA
Javid, you need to start going to other members with cockatoos websites.

You can start with mine at http://www.parrotfantasy.com if you want. It's still under construction, but there are the stories and the pictures of our guys there.

If you think you can keep a cockatoo happy with anything less than 3 hours of attention a day, you are seriously deluded.
<snip>
Jeneanne(I hoped I spelt that right) Harvey has an Umbrella, and he needs 5 HOURS with them a day.

<close enough on spelling <G> And Javid, PLEASE read Luna's story under the Other Bird Behaviour section. I KNOW birds. I KNEW what I was doing, as far as bonding with a bird. I weaned my Greater, and he STILL chose to exhibit phobic behaviour and to completely abandon me, and I'm a settled adult who has had birds for 20-some years! The ONLY way my husband and I have time for our birds and animals is to work opposite shifts. That means we get to spend Sundays together, and one of each 3 Saturdays, and we see each other for 45 minutes a day weekdays. But we do it. Why? Because we have made a commitment to our birds. We made this decision as adults, knowing that we had a settled lifestyle. And it's still difficult.

I understand how difficult it is to hear "you're too young" or "your life isn't settled enough for a cockatoo". My best friend has bred and raised toos for years, and for 15 years she wouldn't let me have a baby, and told me that if I got one from anyone else she'd NEVER speak to me again, because my life wasn't settled enough for a too. I hated it. And I was in my 30's, I had a daughter, I had a good life, a house, a steady job making good money...but you know what? She was right. I got "permission" from her to get a Too only after my daughter moved out, I divorced my husband, had met my (now)husband and had changed my lifestyle from very active to very homebody. I do EVERYTHING I do with a bird on my hand or on a stand next to me, from taking a bath to eating dinner. My birds go to the coffeehouse with me when I go out in the evenings. They go camping with me. In the summer they go out to eat at outdoor cafes with me. They go to music festivals with me. THIS is what you have to be able to commit to. My birds have a trust fund, as they'll outlive me. I've spent years making sure that the three trustees of their fund are known to my birds, know how to take care of them, WANT them, etc. One of my trustees is 10 years old. The others are my best friend and my 22 year old daughter. The 10 year old is on there because she's the most gifted person I've ever met with animals, (she pets baby wild deer in her back property, has a screech owl that'll come out of the trees and land on her shoulder, she has a gift!) but the trust fund states that she can't have any of my birds unless she meets certain criteria (among them, has graduated from University and owns her own home) even though she's one of the people I've chosen.

Believe me, people aren't trying to be mean here. They're trying to help.

Jeanne

#34678 - 03/25/02 10:41 AM Re: rescue  
Amanda. Offline
Amanda.  Offline

Javid I have an idea for you,in the morning,get up early,and spend as much time with your too while you get ready,and then you go to school,and then if you can come home for lunch and cuddle with him a few,then go back to school,and when you get home,cuddle with him,and play with him,and just spend time with him.

#34679 - 03/25/02 11:31 AM Re: rescue  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amanda, that doesn't sound very realistic. What if he takes the bus? Come on. Is that what you plan to do if you get a too? Yes, some people can work all day with a too, but they devote most of their off time to ensure that they are giving it enough interaction. And sometimes that even doesn't work. Don't listen to her Javid, she just really really wants a too.

#34680 - 03/25/02 07:22 PM Re: rescue  
Michael Offline
Admin
Michael  Offline
Admin
Lives Here

Vermont, USA
Javid,

Consider one thing. How would you feel being locked in a cage all day only to be allowed out for a couple hours?

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny